Why are Bahraini People so unfriendly and look sad, most of the time ?

I live in an area, where there are a lot of Bahraini ppl working in the local Supermarkets. My natural instinct is to say Hi, or Goodmorning !  When interacting with people whom I am just interacting with, the cold response or non response with the Bahraini ladies is unbelievable!   They look at you like they hate you. Has anyone else had this response here.

To the ladies! Hi girls just wanna ask, how do you keep your skin moisturized well in this heat. My skin is fair and becoming very very dry. Please don't tell me Olive oil,  I don't want to smell like a salad. Lol.........no honestly what are the best products out there or even home made ones............Please I'm cracking up!

Don't know about the unfriendliness of women. You wouldn't know anything about unfriendliness unless you had lives in Saudi !

I am a male human being and my skin gets dryness too. Mostly in winters. I use a normal body lotion.

I actually find it quite the opposite. I find Bahrainis quite friendly in general - not necessarily the ladies but particularly the younger Bahraini generation are willing to talk to expats more. At least this is what I experienced over the last 2 years or so...

Try to say "Salaam Aleikom" and who knows her face will lighten up.
It means Peace upon you and then she will say " Aleikom Salaam" which means she wish the same for you.

I will second Brighton - often times when I go out the most polite people - the people willing to help me and work with me the most - are the younger generation.  I haven't noticed a real difference in how I am treated by Bahraini or Indian or Pakistani, there seem to be some people that are friendly and some who are not...just like home!

Also you can try learning some local phrases like Primadonna suggested - something I admittedly have not worked on enough.  We are guests here in their country, after all.

BonnyLass wrote:

I live in an area, where there are a lot of Bahraini ppl working in the local Supermarkets. My natural instinct is to say Hi, or Goodmorning !  When interacting with people whom I am just interacting with, the cold response or non response with the Bahraini ladies is unbelievable!   They look at you like they hate you. Has anyone else had this response here.

Ok , just to clear doubts for you , I have lived in almost all GCC countries , being born in Saudi !

Lemme tell you that the kindest people in the Gulf are in Bahrain / Oman  :heart:  only !!!

Other GCC countries are not that good related to friendly nature !

You must visit Oman to know how people are there :P

And yeah as someone suggested , say "Salam Alykum " and they will reply to you in a smile ;)

Or say "Marhaba" :D

If you're relatively new here, be careful not to generalize from shopping experiences because in a lot of growing countries customer service is not what you might be familiar with.

If you want to say good morning politely in Arabic, its "Sabah al kheir" and the reply would be "sabah al noor". I find some people reply and some people ignore me. But its good to make the effort.

On the contrary, Bahrainis are very friendly, polite and welcoming people. I lived there 7 years and not once have I experienced anything other than kind hospitality.

Also, as someone said, Omani people are also very very friendly and kind.

And as stated earlier, say "asalam alykom" and  :top: .

Bahrainis are most friendly people on this planet , shortly.
Friendly people according to the below order in GCC:
1- Bahrain
2- Oman
3- Qatar
4- UAE
5- KSA
6- Kuwait

I have always found the Bahraini's very friendly but you have to consider that they have a job to do and they want to do it well. Chatting about your skin isn't really getting their job done

I have also found that when you approach them in an over friendly manner they don't like it. They like polite but not pushy.

Maybe if you want advice about skin etc go visit a beauty salon or BHS or Debenhams etc to get advice.

Wow!   What a rude comment!   I've no idea what you are referring to abwt asking Bahrainis about skin. The skin question was in a completely different comment!      Do you normally deal with ppl in such a harsh and abrupt way ? You shouldn't tell ppl what they can an can't comment about dear, if I wanna ask about skin, I most certainly will, you should learn when to talk and when not to. I was taught if u don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything. Maybe you should do the same.............................Wow!

BonnyLass wrote:

Wow!   What a rude comment!   I've no idea what you are referring to abwt asking Bahrainis about skin. The skin question was in a completely different comment!      Do you normally deal with ppl in such a harsh and abrupt way ? You shouldn't tell ppl what they can an can't comment about dear, if I wanna ask about skin, I most certainly will, you should learn when to talk and when not to. I was taught if u don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything. Maybe you should do the same.............................Wow!

Hahahaha way to go girl!  :one

I moved to Bahrain 1 month ago from the UK with my 2 children and my experience has been very positive. On our very first day whilst in the Costa Cafe in the city centre mall we met an elderly Bahraini couple who took the time to talk to us and give us lots of advice. Since then almost every Bahraini person I have met and interacted with including my landlord have been helpful and polite. I teach in an all Bahraini boys school and the kids are great! I am sorry your experience has not been positive but I would suggest you give it time as it takes a while to acclimatise to a new country and culture. Good luck!

Check out the products from Lave Affair, they are great.

They are on instagram @lavesoapbh

BonnyLass wrote:

To the ladies! Hi girls just wanna ask, how do you keep your skin moisturized well in this heat. My skin is fair and becoming very very dry. Please don't tell me Olive oil,  I don't want to smell like a salad. Lol.........no honestly what are the best products out there or even home made ones............Please I'm cracking up!

Try greeting in Arabic.  It's no more effort, and it can open doors.  Of course, being a man, I'm getting used to the silent treatment, but that's custom.  Maybe they're jealous?  Just don't take it to heart.  People will warm up to you, more so if you try to adopt their culture a bit.  Just a thought...

Hi I know its an old thread but i really want to reply to this. Yes I have felt and so many of my friends have also felt. Bahraini ladies are very unfriendly and rude but men are not mostly. If you have worked with Bahraini ladies or atleast go to some office where bahraini ladies are working you will come to know. They are so bossy,rude, egoistic and dominant. I hate them, but there are exceptional few ones too .. 'We are expats and live in their country eating up their jobs' I think this is what they have in minds when they see us .. ha ha.. where the real scenario is they don't work hard even if it is assigned to them and most of them don't know which they wouldn't accept, mainly technical and IT. I know its bad to criticize the people of the country we live,where we get our bread but cant help it. The Bahraini men I have met are too good and gentlemen. Good day to all..

@twinkle7

hi. I know this is an old thread but I'm interested to know if anyone has found the reasons why the women are unfriendly. Do they discriminate against expats?

@msgwenivere Hmm, very unfortunate. Sorry that you felt that ways. 

The only reason i can think of is if they cant speak in English they may not know how to respond. Usually, they are friendly and welcoming.

@twinkle7
hi. I know this is an old thread but I'm interested to know if anyone has found the reasons why the women are unfriendly. Do they discriminate against expats?
-@msgwenivere

1) English speaking skills may not be good

2) If the expat is a man, then keep in mind that culturally, friendly interaction with men outside of the established settings of work place co-workers, social gatherings etc........is not something that is looked at favourably.  It is a relatively conservative society after all i.e. dating or relationships before marriage are not widely accepted

Bahrainis are most friendly people on this planet , shortly.
Friendly people according to the below order in GCC:
1- Bahrain
2- Oman
3- Qatar
4- UAE
5- KSA
6- Kuwait
-@Mission0

Ditto