New in Surabaya - looking for other expats

Hello dear expats,

I already went through the other threats but I had the feeling that almost all of them became to another topic..

Sooo, my questions: are there any expats in Surabaya at the moment? How long are you guys staying here?
I arrived a month ago, starting to settle down and feel comfortable...but..friends are missing!
I am going to stay here for a whole year, managing a project.
Looking forward to hear from you :)

Hello Miss_S and welcome to Expat.com :)

So as to get to meet some expats around you, I invite you to participate on others threads in our Networking in Surabaya section.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi,

I am planning to come to Surabaya to manage a project.  What do you think of the area?  Is language an issue?  Is there much of an expat community there? I have done projects in Germany, Ireland and all over the US but this will be my first time in asia and it seems quite scary!  What about the climate and instects? Is it a dangerous place.  I am very excited to get there but also hoping to be able to get to know people there!

All the best,
Tom

tommyd99 wrote:

Hi,

I am planning to come to Surabaya to manage a project.  What do you think of the area?  Is language an issue?  Is there much of an expat community there? I have done projects in Germany, Ireland and all over the US but this will be my first time in asia and it seems quite scary!  What about the climate and instects? Is it a dangerous place.  I am very excited to get there but also hoping to be able to get to know people there!

All the best,
Tom

Hello Tom,

These days language (English) is not a big issue but still it would be good having at least some basic understanding of Bahasa Indonesia, if you stay here for longer period of time for your project you should consider to take some private lessons.

About expat community in Surabaya I can not say much, for sure there are a lot of foreigners living there but perhaps you should look around here in the forum also.

Surabaya is known to be very hot but houses, hotels, malls etc do have air conditions so you don't have to worry to much.

Try to learn and adjust to the Indonesian culture, respect the people and you will be fine. There are plenty of books one can buy an easy way to learn about the history of Indonesia, it's people and so on.

Cheers

hi, i will arrive in Surabaya next tuesday, i will stay here around 6 months, im also looking for friend , nice to meet you

Hi Tommy and Veron

Nice meet you in this forum..Surabaya is nice city. The second biggest city in Indonesia after Jakarta..yes this city is very very hot but people are very nice here..and don't  need to worry much as Surabaya is safe.. I am sure soon you will meet other expats here, and I'd like be your friend  :)

Hi Miss_S,

I am also new in Surabaya, just arrived this Sunday. And I am also looking for friends, because I am gonna stay here for nearly half of year... Anytime you feel like hang out, feel free to contact me, we could do something together :)

Best,
Hedvika

hi Kelly

nice to hear from you? where do you live in surabaya? i live in Prime royal hotel, it's my email add : [email protected], i hope we can meet for coffee.Thanks!

Hello

I live in Surabaya and have been here since 1996
We do have get-togethers once a month( a mix of expats and foreigners)
[email protected]
Regards,Wayne

Hi Miss S,

I lived In Surabaya last year. I met some people through this forum, some nice ones and some not so nice ones. Try other bloggers' sites as well. When you go to malls, speak with the shop assistants. They make good acquintances to start with.  You  are likely to meet a fair number of expats in Starbucks, Mc Donalds, KFC etc. (Not sure about nightclubs.) Say hello first! Visit some tourist places as well. It may be quicker to make friends with some nice English speaking locals. They can help you with many things. Good luck!

Hello

I live in Surabaya, and have for quite some time
I teach here and train teachers
We have a gathering each month through a group called InterNations
www.internations.org
We have a gathering this Saturday at Hacienda
Sat 11 Oct 19:00 - Sun 12 Oct 12:00

Hacienda Mexican Bar & Grill
    jl. Darmokali no. 10 Surabaya 60625
    Surabaya
Contact  me through the group or [email protected]

Regards,Wayne

Hi Veron

Sorry for delay reply..bit busy but I have sent you inbox..hope we can meet for coffee .. :)

hello,   welcome to surabaya

Hello everyone,

I am french, telecom engineer, 28.
Currently in Jakarta, I will be in Surabaya in a couple of weeks for 6 months and keen to meet people there.

@Wayne: hello, when will the next gathering of your association take place ? I will be happy to join.

Regards,
Jab

Miss_S wrote:

Hello dear expats,

I already went through the other threats but I had the feeling that almost all of them became to another topic..

Sooo, my questions: are there any expats in Surabaya at the moment? How long are you guys staying here?
I arrived a month ago, starting to settle down and feel comfortable...but..friends are missing!
I am going to stay here for a whole year, managing a project.
Looking forward to hear from you :)

Respected one
as Surabaya is full of expats and really beautiful place i was live there and i m coming back to Surabaya for six months on a project i hope to meet u there and good friends from Expat.com and share our experiences and have a good time thank u very much

hello

Salut Jabichabo
Bah suis la depuis plus d'un an suis senegalaise en master ici. Jespere qu'on se rencontrera lors dun cafe meeting  :) prends soin de toi

Hello everyone
My name is Fatou I'm in Surabaya since more than 1year now only yesterday one of my indian's friend talk about this forum and I'm so happy to join you guys here and hope I can join you too for the gathering looking forward to meet nice people :)
thank you  :thanks:

Fabinda wrote:

Salut Jabichabo
Bah suis la depuis plus d'un an suis senegalaise en master ici. Jespere qu'on se rencontrera lors dun cafe meeting  :) prends soin de toi

Hello fabinda,

It would be best if you can keep it in english please. ;)

Thanks

Sorry Priscilla
I was so excited to see someone who speak french :)
feel sooo sorry
;)

It's nice to hear that there's a group of expats that regularly meet in Surabaya. I've been frequenting that place for almost a year, and it's only now that i chanced upon this thread. Looking forward to meeting some of you on my next visit there.

Did you make some new friends already? I arrived in Surabaya less then 3 weeks ago. I am also staying here for a year, maybe more. At the moment I am quite busy with setting up a restaurant in West Surabaya, so not to much time to go out and meet new people. I was interested to see what this blog has to offer and here I am, trying to meet people this way.
Enjoy your stay in Surabaya and hopefully we'll meet one day.

Best regards,

Steven from Belgium

HI All,

i should be relocated in Surabaya in few months... decision and discussion are still on going. let's see in couple of months.
But it's nice to heard some active expat comunity in Surabaya.
See you soon,
Guillaume&Aude& children

I have to spend 3 days a week in Surabaya, hope get to meet new people in this town.

(Moderated: no free ads here please + register your bsuiness in the business directory)

Hello ppl. I have been living in Surabaya almost 6 months and probably stay i dunno seriously . It would be nice to meet new ppl and also go for culinary and exploring the city and also many hidden treasure beaches ans island are still to be explored.

May I knw ur nationality..?

Hi Veron ..r u living in surabaya now? Thanks

Fabinda wrote:

Hello everyone
My name is Fatou I'm in Surabaya since more than 1year now only yesterday one of my indian's friend talk about this forum and I'm so happy to join you guys here and hope I can join you too for the gathering looking forward to meet nice people :)

R u indian ?

iisnmr wrote:
Fabinda wrote:

Hello everyone

R u indian ?

Is it important ?

I'm Indian I live here is that anything I can help with

Hi I just arrive in Surabaya. How do you like Surabaya so far ? Which kind of project will you do here ? I plan to stay here for one year or more. I came here to learn more about the culture and in the same time learn behasa Indonesia which I think is a beautiful language. I will also looking for new opportunity here, I have Master in Finance from HEC and I speak French, Chinese, Thai, Arabic and of course English.

Let's try to meet soon.

Peace

Hello dear
Sorry for replying late
No I'm senegalese but I have some indian's friends
@iisnmr

Hello. I have been in Surabaya since November but still struggling to find places to go and people to meet 😔

Hi, i will go to Surabaya soon (in2/3 weeks) for working there , how is your experience of living there ? Thank you.  :cheers:

Both good and bad really. It is one of the better cities - and people are very friendly. However I'm not used to living in such a big city and find myself wanting to get out every weekend.

Hi all,

Come to the Lido pub on Saturday 28th of february. from 19.00h till 01.00h. There will be a lot of foreigners there. It's an organised event but everybody is welcome.
Location Lido: In Darmo park next to the Shangri-La hotel.
If you come from West Surabaya you will pass the Shangry-La hotel that is on your left, then you will see Darmo Park. Don't enter but turn left a little further. Over there is another entrance and the pub is right there.

I guess at 7 pm there will be a meeting first, after that it's party and gathering with life music!!

Hope to meet you all then, I will be there, but after 10 pm

who want learn culture and indonesia language in surabaya can add my bbm 554AB87B or home shelter.living at center surabaya.original dayak

mnevis wrote:

Hi I just arrive in Surabaya. How do you like Surabaya so far ? Which kind of project will you do here ? I plan to stay here for one year or more. I came here to learn more about the culture and in the same time learn behasa Indonesia which I think is a beautiful language. I will also looking for new opportunity here, I have Master in Finance from HEC and I speak French, Chinese, Thai, Arabic and of course English.

Let's try to meet soon.

Peace

that's Cool dude ,we should go for a coffee since we share same passion.

feel free to contact!

sorry are still in surabaya??
could touch my number xxx
Cheers

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : for your own security, please exchange your contact details in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct