Gathering in surabaya (expatriates)

Dear all

I am a fresh new comer from jakarta to surabaya.

I am actually a french member of a family, with my wife and my daughter.

We are looking for some friends, expatriates if possible, especially coz of the language (i am not fluent in bahasa and also with the indonesian culture)

I would like to organize a gathering in surabaya, like i have done one year ago in jakarta.

So please if there are some foreigners it will be a pleasure to meet them.

Depending of the number of people,i will do that in mid july.

See you soon

William

See no matters when i say expatriate. Every body can come but last time we didn't "mix"between indonesian and foreigners, indonesian people talked together and same with foreign people... it was a mess...

So i think it's better if first it's more expatriate and after we plan to make a second gathering with all, what Do you think

Hi,I'm joyce,I'm local but I'm one of the board member of EWAS expatriate woman association of Surabaya,the club can have 5 % of local member, we have several gathering or event for expat as well, such as our coming ewas bazar, cocktail party, if you wantyou could also send email for some gathering you had planned to our ewas email, they will distribute to all our member, I understand your need to do the gathering with only foreigner but just for the info, Surabaya is very different from Jakarta, expat here also the spouse which could be local are very close to each other as the expat number here are smaller than Jakarta.
We also have wine society club, salsa club,deutsch club etc. Also Sheraton hotel often held several cocktail party where a lot foreigner joint.
Welcome to Surabaya

Dear joyce

Thank you for your prompt answer.

It will be pleasure to meet you and also all members of your association.

Please forward it to all your network!

William

I'll be there but in August when hari raya Idul Fitri because i am back home (pulang kampung) to my family at gubeng Surabaya within 2 weeks

Dear Willou, do you mind if me and my friends join you? We wolud love to meet you and all of your family. It will be great :D some of my friends are expatriate, and love to hang out. :)

Dear Joyce, may I know how to join your community? :) thanks!

if you don't mind, can i join also when the gathering will be held, pls?but i'm not an expat

Hi there,

I'm living in Surabaya, I wouldn't mind coming to your gathering. I'm Canadian, but I've been living here for about 5 years already.
I'm married to an Indonesian with a two-year-old daughter.

Hi, William! It sounds that you will have a nice gathering. Please read my profile if you are interested in knowing me and my adopted father, a retired Australian who wants to study the Indonesian culture. We all can probably meet up some time.

Best regards,
Himawan

OK, it sounds like you just wanted to soften the blow. I am not interested in joining your gathering, anyway. I just wanted to recommend you about inviting my expatriate close friend. Well, as the human nature goes, people usually like other people who like them. Now, you are as an expatriate has made a wrong impression. Remember that the site is open for expatriate and non-expatriate people. As the old saying says, do what Romans do.

Dear all

Please accept my apologies for not replying to all of you. Too much work this month.

Dear drhimmy85, your reply is much more unpolite and irrespectful.
I work in a company as the only one bule, with 10 indonesian people. I have a lots of indonesian friends in jakarta and surabaya. When i said i want to meet foreigners, it's not to join a "club", but to speak also with people closed to my origins latino-anglo-saxon! See all no offense on that, and you will lie if you say the contrary if you go to an other country.

As you said, human nature is all the same everywhere, people judges before knowing the other.

I have decide to cancel this gathering, especially because of that, if people still want to talk they will send me mp, i will do the same one by one.

Best regards

William

If anyone still wants to meet… Send me a message! :)

I'm posting this message to try to gather everybody in one unique discussion. I think it would be easier.
You just have to click on this link : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=292070

Terry

Hello, i am curious about the club according to your blog,  can i know a little more information about that? thx!

Hi William,

Ou plutot bonjour. Je m appelle Sebastien, Francais et j habite sur Surabaya too.
Wondering if you and familly still there.
Let me know if can catch up once, be great to share some stories.

A bientot

Seb

Bonjour William
Moi c'est Fatou suis du Senegal bah je suis un master en cultural studies ici... Si ça vous dit sera un plaisir de vous rencontrer avec votre famille. Bien des choses à vous et portez vous bien. A tres bientot jespere. :)

Fabinda wrote:

Bonjour William
Moi c'est Fatou suis du Senegal bah je suis un master en cultural studies ici... Si ça vous dit sera un plaisir de vous rencontrer avec votre famille. Bien des choses à vous et portez vous bien. A tres bientot jespere. :)

This is an English speaking forum please post accordingly so that other members do understand.

Also the post from William is from July 2013, not sure if you still can expect a reply....

Hello Happyhour
You right!!! sorry for that  dears
:thanks: for reminding me that :)
and that's one of the reason I'm here also to improve my english  ;)