How is the cost of living in Shizuoka city?

I plan to move to Shizuoka city and marry my Japanese girlfriend. After we get married, I will apply for a spouse visa and we plan to rent out a cheap studio apartment together. She told me that there are many English schools and Eikaiwa there and that I should be able to find a teaching job easily.

She mentioned that transportation would be cheap because I could buy a cheap bike and use that to ride to work and back home each day. She said that it only takes her about 10 minutes by bike to get from her apartment to the downtown area where all the schools are. She told me that she know where to buy cheap food. So I'm not worried about the costs of transportation and food anymore.

She said that there are cheap apartments where the rent would range from $300 - $400 US dollars a month? She also mentioned that it is possible to sign a month long contract and pay rent month to month rather than have to pay 3 months in advance plus a deposit...is this true? I want to make sure that I save up enough money before going to live with her. I would definitely plan on signing a long term contract once I get paid my first monthly salary from my teaching job. I just think it is best to live month to month until then.

I'm currently in southern California and I really want to go see her as soon as I can. We are both working and saving our money, but I'm wondering just how much money I should save up aside from the flight cost?

I plan to live as cheap as I can and use a bike. I don't plan on going to pricey restaurants, go to bars and clubs, drink, party, etc. I plan on a very frugal lifestyle and she will do the same. I hope that the experts on this region of Japan could help me out and give me some advice.

Hi there. Maybe it's too late to reply to you?
I would say, the most safest you could survive to live in Shizuoka until you get job is, JPY 5,000,000. If you stay with your girlfriend, then may not much money would be needed, but Shizuoka is still Japan and if you rest a place for yourself, need to buy all the furnitures as they won't have anything in the room.

Happy living in Shizuoka! :)