Cost of living in Ghent Belgium

Hi All,
Can you please let me know what is the average cost of living in Ghent Belgium,including food ,accommodation and other expenses.I would like to know what is the minimum monthly expense required to stay there.

Thanks
mgs

Hey we live in Nazareth its a little outside of gent we are a young couple with a cat. Children to fallow. Our rent is 700 and we have a food buget of 300 a month. Other bills are are 400 a month and then we have a little left over to go out with. You can find places for a bit cheaper and food can be done cheaper if you do it lidal all the time and we also run a car out of that minus petrol costs our health insureance is about 100euros a year as well as a small council tax i think was 40 euro last year and then we have just our mobile phones

Rent of 700 euros is low in gent centre, but you can find that out of the center i guess. Electricity/water also around 150 euros imo.

I'm thinking of having an apartment in Ghent in addition to my apartment in NYC.
I'm a history teacher so when I was there last summer…I was breathless. It's so beautiful.
I need a studio. I don't know how to begin.

Any suggestions from anyone leaving in Ghent. I am a 66 year old woman with lots of energy and love for life.
I still teach and love it.  Also, would be cool to teach here and there in Ghent.

Thanks everyone. Be good to yourselves.
Theresa

Best website is immoweb.be however be warned most placed will want a minimum of a 3 year contract

Thanks so much.

Would you advise me staying at a hotel in Ghent this coming summer 2015 and then looking for an apartment while I'm there.

What first step do you advise me taking?

Thanks again. Be good to yourself.
Theresa

Might be a good idea as they normally like to meet the person. You can maybe try first calling some placed and see if you have nay luck before a hotel as that might be expensive.

Thanks so much. You are very kind. I might be asking you questions here and there until the summer. Hope that's okay.

Do you recommend any area around the St. Bavo Cathedral and  St. Nicolas Church. I need to be in a walking area. I will not have car at all.

Please do not feel pressured to respond quickly….Whenever it is good for you is fine.

Theresa

its fine. Sadly I cant really recomend a area. I live in Nazareth and will be moving to wondelgem out side of the city. (I would get into the city using tram one) However they are plenty of bus's and trams so getting around will be easy. You best bet is to maybe look at places and then use Google maps. I knew a person once who lived near the canal for instance liked it. It was hard to get furniture in needed to use a pully system but she managed.

Hi Ariel,

Ghent is a smallish city and most things are accessible by tram, bus, or on foot. Hi,

In my walks around the city, I often see signs for 'studentenkamers' which are rented by the academic year. I think the accommodations vary-some include kitchenettes, etc. Of course, renting in the same building with students may not be optimal if you value your beauty sleep.  :)

Hi BostonKathy,

Thanks for replying. Love teaching students but don't want to live amongst them.
Need to find a place that is quiet and the majority of people 40 or over.  I love all ages…but need a little more on my side of the coin.

If you can give me any more advice, that would be great.

hannahhadman,

Thanks again…Just found Facebook with expats…in Ghent. Such a good idea to get on there…and get a feel for stuff.

Enjoy your weekend.

THeresa

Yeah I am a admin on that. I will try and find out and add you right away.

xxxoooTheresa

Hi,

Thanks so much. I am now a member on Facebook.

Would you know how I post on Ex-pats in Ghent…meaning on that Facebook site only …as I don't want some colleagues, etc. to see that I might move to Ghent.

Sorry…I can be annoying with questions…I think being a teacher has something to do with that.

Theresa

Are you a member of the group?

If so just read the rules ie no advertising etc and just post ur questions on it and others will comment

hello Theresa,

This is an answer with many if's, but I'm thinking of spending the summer (ten weeks in Taiwan) and "rent" my house to someone. Last year a Japanese girl stayed in my house for a month while I was in Taiwan (I didn't charge anything as she was planning on staying two weeks tops but she enjoyed my house and Ghent so much, she stayed longer than planned).  She might come back this summer and for me it depends on my financial situation but if I go it would be handy to have someone look after my house and cat while I'm gone.

I would charge a small cost (negotiable); mostly covering water, electricity and so on and ask to take care of the cat in my absence.

As I said I'm not sure if I go (I will probably decide around april 2015) but you can keep it in mind if you are interested. I live in Ledeberg, about 2.5 km from the historical centre of Ghent and close to public transport stops and the train station.