I need your help :)

Hi, I want to move to norway soon, I'm Croatian living in London.
I have master digree for being chef , and for tourism , working 7years in that industry .
My question is , how hard is to find job, and is it true that i need to pas 6months of lenguage school??? Thank you guys , any help will mean a lot to me!

Hello,

Jobs are more difficult to get now than they used to be. People who speak Norwegian or another Scandinavian language are generally prioritised over those who can't. Learning Norwegian should therefore be a priority.

David

Hi,

In bigger cities many restaurants / caterers  employ staff which can't speak Norwegian, this applies especially to chefs.  But you need very good English skills and the need for Norwegian increases as you move up the ladder. I have seen kitchens in Bergen running in English but service staff usually has to speak Norwegian (even though I had waiters who only spoke English, but it is rather uncommon)

My suggestion: look at finn.no and register with agencies like manpower or adecco.  Search for the cities you want to move to and send your application to restaurants, hotels, caterers there (gule sider.no can give you the business information). My guess is that you best chance is applying as a chef. There is always a demand for them.

I never heard of the 'requirement' for a Norwegian language course. It helps if you speak a bit or at least are trying to learn the basics. No employer likes to hire someone who is not willing to learn or speak the language of the country. That is a universal rule I suppose.

God luck!

Stella are you interested in a job up here in NORWAY PLEASE EMAIL ME
[email protected] 0r call me at [moderated: avoid posting phone number pls]
I'm the head chef of the restaurant called Fiskekompaniet Tromsø
check it out fiskekompaniet.no

hoping to hear from you soon

Regards
Wendy