Finding an apartment in Helsinki: can it be even harder?

Hi everyone!  :)

I am new here, so first of all, hello, I am Renée, from Brazil and living in Finland for (exactly!) three years  now. I live with my Finnish husband and a big cat in a student apartment in Jyväskylä.

I've decided to join the forum because I don't know what else to do to find a new place! I am graduating now in mid-September and we need to move away from our student home Jyväskylä asap. My husband is not a student anymore, so no chance we can get a student home any time in the near future.

We started sending applications for finding a new apartment in Helsinki to all sorts of places already in June, and no offers so far! We've sent it to all the obvious providers we could find: Ilmarinen, SATO, VVO, Avara, Helsingin kaupunki, S-Asunnot Oy, and Nuorisosäätiö. Finding one from private people is possible, but unfortunately we cannot afford the deposits that exceed our tiny budget.

We need a place that is as close as possible to the city centre, or a place that has at least ok tram/metro connections. Does anybody know what else we could try? Any rent provider that we have bypassed in our search?

I thank you very much for any feedback or help or suggestion  :top:

Hi, Renee! How about if you started studying something, could you then stay in student accommodation?

There is no cheap accommodation close to the city center. Prices are less expensive if you settle for a neighborhood such as Itäkeskus, Mellunmäki or Vuosaari along the metro lines to the east. Or try e.g. Malmi or Tapanila in the north, along the railroad. Both the metro and the train are fast.

If you don't have the money for the deposit in hand, why don't you borrow the sum?

Hei, thanks for the reply!

I guess I reached a point in my life that normal/formal education will no longer help me to grow as a person anymore :) I've considered something like that early on, but nope, no studying anymore.

We have applied for all the places you mentioned (except from Malmi and Tapanila). We are both self-employed and the main reason behind moving to Helsinki is to be able to access as much people as possible. For me, as a language teacher/translator, it would be ok to go to the city for working. But my husband teaches guitar and can't move around with his sound equipment (we have no car).

But yes, taking a loan is something we have not considered yet, especially now that we've just paid one of them back. We are still hoping to find something that is not from a private landlord though...

Hi everyone!
My name is Minna, a new student in Laura University. For now, I am living in Helsinki city and I am going to move out of my apartment in next month. Honestly, it is so hard for me to look for a room for share. I asked Hoas help me to find a room three months ago, but they seemly do nothing. My housing contract is going to expire next month. Anyone knows somewhere for lease, please let me know. I have no idea to find a room for now.
Thanks so much!

My email: [email protected]

It's not a perfect situation, but there are some forums on Facebook for housing. Unfortunately, I don't have links off-hand, but if you search, you might be able to find some Finland/Helsinki forums that can help you. Often there are people who advertise that they need to lease their apartment for a period of time. Good luck in your search.

Hello! I'm renting out my room (13,5 sq.m.)in a shared HOAS apartment in Helsinki to a girl only, from 20.12 till 11.01. The room is fully furnished, water, electricity and internet are included to the price. There's a washing machine available in the apartment. The flatmates are super nice and friendly.The rent would be 280 euro. Pm me for more details or write at [email protected]
here are the photos
http://postimg.org/image/8qg4jhk2j/http://postimg.org/image/p6hexk9rz/

Hei all!

It took a huge amount of time, but we finally got a really great place. A bit more expensive than we expected, but it's at least not from the private sector :) So, we started in June 2014 and got the place towards the end of October 2014 and ONLY because we called the company (Ilmarinen) and talked to the one in charge of the actual sorting.