Indonesia waive visa requirements

So far it's related to visitors only.....

TEMPO:

Indonesia to throw visa requirements out the window for 5 markets
Mimi Hudoyo, Jakarta, November 5, 2014

INDONESIA will waive visa requirements for tourists from China, Australia, Japan, South Korea and Russia as well as introduce third-country visas next year.

Announcing this following a coordinating ministers' meeting this morning, Indonesia coordinating minister of maritime affairs, Indroyono Susilo, said: "A task force has been set up to make the (government regulation) amendments, with a target to implement this in 2015."

This is a breakthrough for a country that has thus far followed a policy of reciprocity in visa regulations.

Part of the Ministry of Tourism's quick-win programmes to boost arrivals to Indonesia and achieve 20 million arrivals by 2019, tourism minister Arief Yahya is expecting 500,000 arrivals from the five target markets alone as a result of the visa-free facility.

"These five countries are Indonesia's major markets, with big potential to grow…We may lose US$25 per tourist in visa fees, but will receive US$1,200 through their spending," he said. "We will lose US$11.3 million, but gain US$600 million."

Currently, tourists from China, Australia, Japan, South Korea and Russia must obtain visas on arrival to enter Indonesia.

On the third-country visa programme, Indroyono said travellers who have gained entry to Singapore and Malaysia will be granted visa-free access to Indonesia.

Arief explained: "We still need to discuss details with the related government departments, but the idea is other country's customers can also be ours. Longhaul travellers, for example, have come a long way to Singapore or Malaysia, and they also want to visit us while in the neighbourhood.

“But we have made this difficult with our visa requirements. Why don't we let these countries check them and we just welcome them?"

Within South-east Asia alone, Arief sees market potential in Singapore's 15 million arrivals, Malaysia's 25 million and Thailand's 26 million.

However, he also said in future third-country visas could also apply for areas like the US, EU and Australia, which are known for their stringent visa application requirements.

It is highly doubtful that this will apply at all ports of entry, and almost certainly, it won't apply to Bali where VOA fees were just increased to $35.00 this past July.

Unfortunately, some tourism ministers still believe that the more tourists arrive in greater numbers the better for everyone.  In some Provinces, that may well be true, in Bali, it is just the opposite. 

It is painfully evident that in Bali the emphasis needs to be on increasing the “quality” of tourist, and not the body count.

Ubudian wrote:

It is painfully evident that in Bali the emphasis needs to be on increasing the “quality” of tourist, and not the body count.

Won't happen.
At the end of the day, cash is king, and quality isn't even an issue.

Those drunken, prostitute loving, drug taking scumbag type tourists spend a fortune and boost the local economy.
Of course, they totally destroy the place and the local culture, making it a hell hole for the locals, but that's a small price to pay for fat sacks of cash.

Anyway, for most of the rest of Indonesia, it will be a boost, so generally a good move.
However, the police/customs should also crack down on the drug trade - no more letting drug dealing scum off the firing squad because some namby pampy foreign politicians moan about it.

I have kids and I want them to grow up in a country without drug dealers, and all the death and misery those evil little toads bring with them.

Interesting to see if Australia relax their visa rules for Indonesians as a result. Can't see this expanding to England as there is no way England will relax its mediaeval immigration rules for any country it does not get revenue from.

"Won't happen. At the end of the day, cash is king, and quality isn't even an issue."

It used to be that way Fred, but things are rapidly changing here.  Of course, you'd have to come to Bali at least once in your life to appreciate that.   ;)

"Of course, they totally destroy the place and the local culture, making it a hell hole for the locals, but that's a small price to pay for fat sacks of cash."

One thing the Balinese will never do is to allow their culture to be  destroyed by greed.  Once again, you'd have to know Bali and the Balinese to understand that.

What's already happened in Kuta and elsewhere in southern Bali simply won't happen to the rest of it...and that's a Balinese decision...no one else's.   :top:

But I do agree with you that this visa change will be good for many other areas of Indonesia, and of course I also agree with your comments regarding drugs.

"On the third-country visa programme, Indroyono said travellers who have gained entry to Singapore and Malaysia will be granted visa-free access to Indonesia.

Arief explained: "We still need to discuss details with the related government departments, but the idea is other country's customers can also be ours. Longhaul travellers, for example, have come a long way to Singapore or Malaysia, and they also want to visit us while in the neighbourhood."

Basically it means all visitors coming to Indonesia will not need a visa if they stop over for one night in Singapore or Malaysia before entering Indonesia.

Besides they should know that tourist visa fee is now $35 and not $25 as stated.....

Ubudian wrote:

It is highly doubtful that this will apply at all ports of entry, and almost certainly, it won't apply to Bali where VOA fees were just increased to $35.00 this past July.

Unfortunately, some tourism ministers still believe that the more tourists arrive in greater numbers the better for everyone.  In some Provinces, that may well be true, in Bali, it is just the opposite. 

Roy, hopefully you are right but I fear that especially the tourism in Bali is one of the main reasons why they come up with the idea.

When the VOA was $25.00 Jakarta got every IDR for each arrival to Bali.  Now that it's $35.00, we get to keep $10.00 and forward the same old $25.00 to Jakarta.  Getting rid of the VOA for certain "groups" of people does absolutely nothing for Bali...except curse it with more tourists that already over challenge our abilities to handle.

Basically it's like this...if the tourist can't afford the $35.00 VOA or is otherwise dissuaded from coming to Bali because of the VOA, then that is precisely the kind of tourist that we neither need, or want.

I have no idea what I paid to enter Bali, but if $25 or $35 or $50 is too much for you, don't go.

I suspect that for the type of tourists we actually want visiting Bali, the $25 or $35 VOA fee is not as much the issue as the appalling procedures, queues and time it takes to purchase them then progress through immigration at Bali's airport. If the VOA, immigration and other airport processes were drastically improved then maybe we would attract more quality tourists to Bali.

Quality tourists and visitors care about quality and service more than price.

What you say is absolutely true.  Processing through immigration and customs at Ngurah Rai airport can take as little as 15 minutes to a few hours, and that is all based on when incoming international flights arrive.  The same goes for most anywhere in Asia or SE Asia where I have traveled extensively over the years. 

Obviously, you experienced “bad timing” which was likely the result of several incoming delayed flights and the subsequent arrival of several flights, all within a very short period of time.   

It happens, but this is not a fair criticism of either Indonesia immigration, or customs because this same thing happens at international airports the world over. 

Surely even you can appreciate that the proper job of immigration and customs in any country must be undertaken without the pressure to expedite the process due to an unusually high number of arrivals at any one time.   ;)

BTW, for any foreigner arriving at OZ in any recent years, your criticism would surely be taken much as "the pot calling the kettle black."   :D

Seriously, do you honestly think OZ immigration and customs steps up "its game" when five international flights all arrive within the same five or ten minutes?  Please, don't try to "sell me" that baloney!   ;)

Cheers, and better luck on your next arrival.

I have to agree with you Ubudian
Oz immigration do not step up their game when planes arrive together. Have been travelling in and out for over 40 odd years and it never gets any better.

Funny thing about Australians on Bali...Bali being the by far most popular area of Indonesia for Australians.   

The most vehement criticism of Australian tourists, and recently arrived “wanna be” expats that I hear, year after year, comes from long standing Australian expats.

Take my word on that.  There are many long time Australian expats in the Ubud area who know me very well, and would most assuredly say, “you were too soft on that mate, Roy.”   ;)

Well i just have a totally differemt out look on all the fee stuff when i can go to almost any where in the world for no fees for 90 days or more compared to indonesias by the month fee......but hay it is what it is...

The flip side to that coin James is the fact that Indonesians can't go most anywhere in the world they want (ASEAN member countries aside) without paying for advance visas.  A little bit of the “what's good for the goose is good for the gander” seems appropriate here.   ;)

Ohh yes i agree but after seeing 95% of the world some things i can understand why Some Things are like they are. As everything there are reasons why some doors are open more then others. But those changes i probably will not see in my lifetime. Who knows would be nice!