Gun ownership really that terrible in USA?

I heard that there are many schools in USA installed metal detectors for the security purpose, is that real? Is the gun ownership really that terrible in USA?

Hi DarbyGloss,

Welcome to expat-blog!

A new post was created from you post on the USA forum for better visibility and interaction.

Regards,

David.

Metal detectors have nothing to do with gun ownership.

DarbyGloss wrote:

I heard that there are many schools in USA installed metal detectors for the security purpose, is that real? Is the gun ownership really that terrible in USA?

Thinking of coming to school in the USA?  Bringing your children to the USA to go to school?  Wishing gun laws down under were like the USA?

There is nothing wrong with owning guns (I own several). I have been around many people that own guns, and have never felt like I was in danger.

The only time that you need to be concerned about guns is when you are in a situation or area where you would be concerned about violence in general. Just like any other country, if you go to the poor areas of big cities, the crime rate is higher and you have a higher chance of being beaten, stabbed, or shot.

Since I have been in the US, I have went to 4 different schools (not including grade schools) and none of them had metal detectors.

DarbyGloss wrote:

Is the gun ownership really that terrible in USA?

No, gun ownership is really that good in the USA.  Ask anyone from Australia.

Remember it is not guns that kill people but rather people that kill people.  Guns in proper hands and not idiots are fine.  It is the idiots I worry about. 

Schools seem to be a special issue with too many "crazy" or troubled youths getting a hold of guns and think nothing about using them.  My daughter was at Columbine High School when the nonsense started.  So I have very strong opinions on this

Bob K

mugtech wrote:

Why Australia?

There's no problem with gun ownership. Ten of millions of people collect guns, go hunting and target shoot for fun or competition every day without incidents.
There is a crime problem though, like in most countries. Look at Mexico where gun ownership is completely banned.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
mugtech wrote:

Why Australia?

Australia used to have similar regulation on gun ownership than the US but since the late 90s, gun restrictions are so strict that it's almost a de facto ban: Gun politics in Australia
Although, since the 2010s, despite the gun ban, there's an increase in gun related crime in Australia: Timeline of major crimes in Australia

English2Francais wrote:
HaileyinHongKong wrote:
mugtech wrote:

Why Australia?

Australia used to have similar regulation on gun ownership than the US but since the late 90s, gun restrictions are so strict that it's almost a de facto ban: Gun politics in Australia
Although, since the 2010s, despite the gun ban, there's an increase in gun related crime in Australia: Timeline of major crimes in Australia

What he said