Expat blog gatherings in João Pessoa

Hi all!

What about meeting the other João Pessoa Expat.com members in real life? Organizing an Expat.com meet up would be an excellent way to know them! :)

An Expat.com meet up can be a diner gathering, having coffee, a bring and share in a nice place, a cultural or sports activity, etc. There are plenty of possibilities: just imagine a pleasant way to meet new people and old friends from Expat.com.

Feel free to organize Expat.com get-togethers in João Pessoa: you would meet the other members in a friendly atmosphere and have a good time together!

Of course, we could offer some help to organize your meet up and to inform the community.

So, who's in? Do not hesitate to start a new thread to suggest an Expat.com gathering in João Pessoa. ;)

Best,

Julien

Hmmm.
There used to be regular get togethers, and they were great.
Then they kind of fizzled out.
Maybe you could organie one yourself and advertise it on here...

how many are there here in JP??

I've recently returned to Brasil living in Recife right now.
Plan to visit JP and possibly move back there in the near future.
Who is still around ?  Think a lot have bailed out.
What ever happened to Dave at the beach internet café ?

Guy

Are there expats in JP? I'm up for trying a get together...

Steve

Check the Expat-blog João Pessoa Network it should help you greatly.

https://www.expat.com/en/network/south- … ao-pessoa/

Hello Julien,
I'm an American from San Francisco, California.  I now live in Brasil am in the U.S., I will be returning to live in Joao Pessoa in April 2015.  Have permanent residence status and have lived in several Brasilian cities, in 1 small towns and on 2 islands.  I am reading that Joao Pessoa has changed a lot since my visit in 2008.  Can you tell me what it willl cost  to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom/ 2 bath house in Cabo Branco or similar area, close to the ocean with a view?

When I get there, count me in for expat activities.

Best regards,
Calvin Womble

Julien
I lived in Joao Pessoa for a few years back in 2005 and was just there last week.
JP is still a nice clean city, I enjoyed going back.
I was there the last time in 2007.  I would say that JP is not significantly different today. Some growth with more new apto buildings and new stores.
Real estate has gone through the roof, many aptos are 3 to 4X what they were in 2007. That's true about most of Brasil, at least the larger cities that have lots of jobs. Some of the out of the way cities have had NO inflation of real estate values. I don't see how these higher levels of value can continue for ever. I scratch my head every day wondering how many Brasilians can afford these inflated values. The answer is that they can't. I see a big correction coming in the next 5 years, lot like what happened in the US.

I did see some empty vacant stores and some places where I would have thought had grown since 2008, but had not. The economy seems slower to recover than other states.

You can go find info on rentals etc at  olx.com.br or bomnegocio.com
Plenty of rentals on there.
Guy

Thanks James, we previously discussed my ''permanent resident'' status. I am returning to Brasil in April.  Have tried to talk with the Brasilian Consulate here in San Francisco and they are not helpful in the least, they told me I have to talk to the Federal Police upon my return to Brasil.  Please note, I received at the Federal Police in Salvador a paper, citing my permanent residence status and number so that I could leave Brasil, I left on September 11th., 2013 so my two years out is not expired. Since I have never received my card (you know the inefficiency in the postal and other systems).  I know that I am in the computer and I was granted permanent status, what do you advise  I do, since I will only buy a 1 way ticket into Brasil.
Thanks, I appreciate your advise and dedication.
Feliz Ano Novo!!!
Calvin Womble

Hi Calvin,

Since you applied for permanency quite some time ago under the old system, unless you were actually granted the visa before leaving the country, you are only entitled to be out of Brazil during processing for a maximum period of 90 days. Following that the application is cancelled. The two year period ONLY APPLIES to those who have received permanent resident status. So, if you don't fit into that category it is quite likely that you will need to start all over again from square one.

If on the other hand you at least have the SINCRE, (Sistema Nacional de Cadastro e Registro de Estrangeiros) print-out from the Policia Federal database and it clearly states permanent you will be ok.

Just on the off chance that you don't and that your application was still being processed you should check the Policia Federal website since they've granted thousands of applications en masse under the new rules, just to see if your name and case number happens to be there.

Note - the list is in alphabetical order by FIRST NAME

http://www.dpf.gov.br/servicos/estrangeiro/

click on #3 Publicações de Permanência Definativa (it's a MS Excel file)

If you were only being processed, and had your application cancelled by virtue of being out of Brazil longer than the permitted 90 days, check with the Federal Police because there is a process to re-establish your registration.

Cheers,
James        Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello James, thanks for your expeditious followup.  The following is text from my letter date and stamped on 12 de Julho 2013 by the Federal Police in Salvador,
"....Certifico ....que o estrangeiro ***.....nacional do pais ESTADOS UNIDOS DA AMERICA, e registrado no Sistema Nacional de Estrangeiros sob numero ***, na condicao de permanente,.......com prazo de estada legal ate 27/08/2020......A presente e verdade e dou fe.  Em Salvador/BA, na date de 12 de Julho de 2013.  Certidao valida por 90 dias.

I never received my card in the mail and that is why I requested a letter to leave Brasil.   Please advise.  And if no problem when should I apply for longer permanent residence, since I am hoping to live longer than 2020.
Thanks again.
Calvin

You have been granted permanency, so you're fine on that score. You have your RNE number and that is what is really important. Did you actually go to apply for the Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro (ID card)???

If so, then you will be able to collect it at the same DPF Delegacia where you applied for it. Legally they must retain it until its expiry date, which in your case is 27/08/2020.

Regarding your current Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro (once you actually pick it up), you don't need to do anything until just a month or so before its expiry date, when you will need to renew it. You will schedule that through the DPF website, just as you did with the initial application. The only difference will be that it will be Renovação de Registro and will cost more. And if you are over 60 years of age by that time, you will never need to renew again after you've done so in 2020.

In interest of your own personal security, click on EDIT in the bottom of your posting and edit out your RNE number. Note: You only have a period of one hour from the time you posted it. So do it right now.

Calvin,

I've temporarily removed your last message from the forum for reasons of your personal security, since you've posted your RNE number and full name.  I don't know if TEAM will just edit them out and let the posting be visible again after review, or if it will just remain hidden completely. Nevertheless, you've got the information you need now anyway.

Cheers,
James

RNE number & full name removed, thanks James ;)

Thanks Julien, you're tops  :one

Hello dear! I am from Brazil and returning to my country this year.. Looking for friends that speaking english! :)

Thanks for looking out for me James and removing my numbers.  I went to the Brasilian Consulate here in San Francisco, showed my letter with my registration numbers and I was told that the letter since it has my numbers is valid to re-enter Brasil on May 5th.

Happy to be returning to Brasil...

All the best....
Calvin

Ok...I'm just returning from the U.S. to Brasil (Joao Pessoa)...happy to communicate with you.
Calvin

I moved to JP this year (2021). Got married to a Brazilian woman, moved in to a condo, working remotely for an American company.
Feeling a bit isolated, so please contact me if you want to meet virtually or in person!

Ya if your feeling isolated reach out anytime man.

McLen,
We all probably went through this. With Covid, it must be more difficult, but do not get down. Go to the Mercado, take a walk with your bride. Just something to change the routine. Believe it or not many here love to talk with a Gringo,
Some hear me speak English and come up and introduce themself and chat, to either practice their English or make friends. We exchange numbers and when this Covid settles down we will get together.
We are here for you my friend.
Tex

One must learn to Accept the move..I personally think of my immediate family in Alaska and the time the family had fir me including my daughter and 4 grandchildren,freinds "not much)..and think of the isolation of the Upper 1 as it is nicknamed..I remember they had no time.
With Skype, Messenger, Zapp and all the Modern technoligy.
I find myself reaching out to  them and I get nothing in return only emptiness..

I made the choice to move here and We all think "Our" Choice is the Best..
I watch no TV.
I pay little attention to the USA,  other than Send More Stimulas..
As the Delta Variant arrives in Brasil..
Look forward to more isolation and restrictions..
Lockdown/ Quarantine 3.7..kkk
I have to dig deep into my mind and take the time and say to myself..
"I am fine" and I have a good woman at my side and she provides anything  I  need to live and be Happy in Brasil.
Her and I are best freinds..She speaks Spanish and from Peru and I speak Americano and enough Brasilian Portuguese  to  Survive..
If I had 5 cents for each time I heard a Brasilero say "Noa Entendi" I would be a millionaire..

I have faith in the "Higher Power" in my case " God" to make away..

Once I settle in to my new and maybe final destination here in Brazil..I think Sun,Surf,Beef,Seafood, Adult Beverages,  Barbeque.
Maybe take the Bus ti a najor city or tourist city , enjoy a posada and I am sure you willl find a few gringos to parley with..I have hone to Recife,Salvador and surprised to find  people who can speak a little Americano..for the Universal words everybody understands "Love Nd Money:...just my 2 cenas for free..as Mike and Tex said "We Support our Fellow Expats...
6 years in Brasil  I am good..with my lady who speaks only Spanish thank Google for it's botched "Translator"..rsrsrs..
The Lady and I We Stay Entertained and Rely on only "Us"..Spanish,Americano and Portuguese..
Busy guy..

If anyone wants to connect, I'm here:

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct