Greetings All.

Greetings All !

Just a quick introduction.

As my wife and I get set to go headlong into another polar vortex, the prospect of an early  retirement becomes increasingly attractive from our perch on the shores of Lake Simcoe in Ontario, Canada.

Realistically, we have a few years left to endure before we retire, but it gives us time to do some investigating and ground truthing on potential retirement locations, having looked at and dismissed a number of Caribbean locations such as Belize, the DR, Mexico and others our interest has turned to Costa Rica.  We want to start by visiting some prospective areas based on the feedback from the members of this seemingly helpful and friendly forum.

I have had the benefit of living in many countries around the world including India, Ethiopia and Haiti, so we are reasonably aware that living in a country like Costa Rica has its own unique challenges and benefits that make it infinitely more  interesting and satisfying than living in a  make believe world like Florida.

We are interested purchasing renting a home or condo in a gated community or secure neighbourhood that has some of  the following criteria;

- located in the mountains with views of the ocean, preferably from our front veranda - moderate daytime temps.
- less than 215k or 1000/1500 month rent. 
- situated in or near a small village or town that has basic amenities such as a farmers market, shops and services and a few restaurants choices - we don't consider McDonald's or fast food as equivalents.
- a vibrant community of expats that offer a good analogue social network.
- proximity to health care and reasonable distance to a good hospital and airport connections such as Liberia.
- access to a friendly beach , golf course for the occasional day out.
- available access taxis or buses

Interested on some suggestions commentary  on towns or villages that you are aware of or currently living in if it exists :)

Cheers

Mike

First off I will add the rules and reg's for living legally here, although you probably have checked them out already. The  areas around Liberia are pretty hot and unlikely to have an ocean view unless right near the beach.
Puriscal, Platanillo or San Isidro seems to be what you may want to consider, but then you would use the San Jose airport.
Golf is not a popular sport here except in the tourist areas...and those are expensive.The Cariari Country club is a lovely course and in a great area, but you won't see the sea! The Valle de Sol is used more by expats and is a reasonable cost.

Wherever you decide to locate, rent first for an extended time to see if Costa Rica fulfills your needs.

We started out looking for the same as you and pretty much gave up on the ocean view in favor of moderate temperatures.  Here is a link to an old story from welovecostarica.com.  We have since built and are living in the community. Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed information.
Cheers .... Terry

Kohlerias

Thanks for the suggestions !

Mike

Thanks Terry - it's just started to snow outside....

Cheers

Mike.