Looking for suggestions

Hi!  مرحبا!
I am an undergraduate student set to graduate in the spring and thinking about spending a couple of years abroad teaching English as a Second Language.  I saw the Excellence Center in Hebron has an internship in teaching English that I would like to do for a couple of months.  I visited Israel this spring and was able to get into Palestine briefly, and am excited/nervous at the prospect of going back to stay.  However, I really want go get to practice my Arabic again and experience life as an English teacher in the Middle East before I get certified.  Suggestions? How can I comfort my parents who are freaking out at the thought of me living in the West Bank?

Hello birdmanfiesta,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I have created a new thread with your post on the Palestine forum in order to make your questions more visible to the eyes of other members and to encourage them to interact with you.

Have a nice day

Priscilla

Doing a home stay is the best in your case :) what do you think ?

Hello, I saw your post before but had not much to say. But may be I`ll try now,

Well life in Palestine is not that dangerous, for both locals or foriegners. In fact one can choose to be in a "dangerous situation" or not. Just avoid the trouble zones when there is any, Its easy to tell, nothing unclear.

Also people will happily offer help always, even if some of them in streets may not speak english. A majority can. They can help you find place to stay, tell you from where to find the services needed. And may want to interact with you daily, just to exchange ideas..

In Hebron, which is one of the most complicated city in  Palestine, you will notice that becuase of the mix of settlers and palestinians. You will walk through the the old city which always was the center, and find it nearly empty and closed. You will understand why when you see the nets in the Souk above the paths / street (called Zoqaq in arabic architecture) (similar to the ones in Nablus and Jerusalem), to avoid the harm settlers may cause when throwing garbage or things at people. You will also reach the end once you will find all this old city leads to Al Haram Al Ibrahimi (Ibrahim`s Mosque), which will be closed also and forrbidden to Palestiians to enter most of the time.

All of those details are normal for us. Well we understand clearly its not a normal situation, but life goes on despite all. In the same city you will find all what you seek. Hebron is a remarkable city where you can find a funny arabic accent :) traditional and modern people, lots of food if you like the arabic kitchen, traditional stuff, history and architecture.

You will be able to move to other cities freely, specially if you are a foriegner. Ramallah & AlBireh is a nice 2 compined cities. Nablus is wonderful, Jenin, Qalqilya, Jericho is small one with totally different climate and views. Bethlehem! about 30 mins from Hebron, 15 minutes from Jerusalem.

The rural is attractive. There is a lot of groups making hiking activities, besides other dicussions here and there, about art, sport, not always things go around political causes.

You will be able also to enter the occupied terrotiries of 1948, which you called israel. Haifa is wonderfull, Yafa, Akka Tabariya Nazreth..

You will find alot of foriegners, mostly americans, europeans, few asians and other nationalities. You will find international associations, regional and local ones, working in different aspects.

I will reccomend you to go, I always do reccomend so for foriegners. You must see it, live for a month let us say, then make up your decision. Many people like it and stay.

Good Luck
Ayman

Thank you Ayman for your thoughtful response.

What you have said about the security situation in Palestine confirms all that I have learned about the situation.  And I do not intend to go as an activist, which I know reduces my chances of getting in trouble with the IDF or getting caught in the middle by a lot.  (Not that I don't sympathize with some of the things that activists do.) MY concerns were more about living under occupation in general.  During my time in Jordan, life was definitely more difficult given the economic situation and the water shortages, but I know that being in the Hebron would still be a whole new ballgame compared to that. I don't like to plan to rigidly for the future, but I would be open to staying, if it works out with finances, and TEFL certification, and a job. 

It is helpful to know that Hebron is the most complicated city in area, just for my own knowledge and expectations.  I have seen videos of that souq with the nets and it is a sorry situation. 

demitra-2014, why do you say that? I'm just curious if there is any particular reason besides experiencing more of the culture.  I stayed with a wonderful family in Jordan, and would consider doing it again. 

Allah makom.

Hi birdmanfiesta 07 ,
In case you are still planing to come , I recommend you to visit and stay Ramallah-Bireh , in case you are coming from US or Europe you will find out that Ramallah isn't that much different , people are very helpful there and most of them speaks English easily , you will find coffee shops , zoos , weather is very nice in summer , it's acceptable in winter ( sometimes very cold ) , if you are interested in apprenticeship / internship program I'll recommend you to apply for in Ramallah , I hope I provide with the information that you look for .

Best Wishes