Women dress code

Hi, I'm going to Khartoum next week for some business meeting, I read that the dress code for women is "modest". I thought that loose pants and shirts will work. But it also read that it's recommended to wear long skirts.

Is there anybody there who could help me? Should I go an buy some skirts or my trousers are ok?

Thanks!

Hi,
your trousers will work ok. even local ladies in khartoum wear trousers. however try to bring full sleeve shirts. Islamic laws are imposed here that says, only hands, feet and face can be left uncovered. even showing arms is not allowed.

Hi
You don't have to worry about dress code cause this is just driven from the culture that is derived mostly from the religion
and it is a matter of self respect to people on the street not to entice them of course, but you should manage to get away specially being an expat will make people realize this

Thanks! I have been already twice in Khartoum. I took some "backup" clothes the first time.  But, I finally wear my usual business clothes: trousers and shirts with long sleeves and nothing to fit or revealing. I don't like to be unrespecful and I don't mind to modify a bit my clothing.

That's really nice I know it may sound weird but it happened around me once I was waiting with white American girl and a little boy came and he was talking to us and he was wondering why the girl was dressing up this way as a little boy he didn't understand about different culture

welcome to sudan :)

Hi there!

So, no short sleeves - recommended or a must?
Another question, what about nail colours? Are there any guidelines for it? No colour?

Thanks

Generally short sleeves are perfectly acceptable, especially on a foreigner, but definitely no shoulders can be exposed. The degree of cover depends a lot on where you are visiting. You will often see foreign women with short sleeves in Khartoum, especially where there are lots of foreigners such as in Amarat and Riyad. You have to be a bit more careful in Omdurman or more remote areas outside the city. My wife nearly always wears short sleeves and trousers, but never covers her head. In unfamiliar areas she will take a head scarf just in case it is needed. I believe that nail varnish is fine, at least in the more liberal parts of town as discussed above.

Thanks for your help.
I think I'll be basically in Khartoum 2 and 3 and Emarat, at least during workdays, and I was thinking of taking one or two scarfs, just in case.
I'm happy to be able to take short sleeves - I'm only going to take trousers...

What about sandals? Is it ok to have almost bare feet or they should be covered?
Thanks!

Most people wear sandals.

Perfect! 
I was starting to think how I would spend 2 weeks at 40ºC without sandals...
Thanks for your help!

lol , tx for the tips guys

We are relocating to Southern Sudan and coming from South Africa I would like to know their dress code i.e. what females are expected to wear and if there are specific rules when living there.

Another question is can someone please tell me what sort of permanent accommodation i.e. house or apartment we can expect.

Thanks

South Sudan is more liberal new born country, mostly Christian, and other African religions, but still so cultured in the African color, it's important to understand the culture specially in these region that still thought of as unstable region, and think safety is your first priority, as far as dress code there is no dress code but I think woman shouldn't dress provocative to the culture of the country they are visiting, what is considered to be normal in one culture could be offensive to other culture, and it is not just hurting native people feeling, also your dress could bring harm to you by making you a target for preying men, but eventually Southern Sudan more ideologically westernized  and is way different from the Islamic North of Sudan.

since Southern Sudan still crawling country still in its infancy, with no defined civil infrastructure to the country yet, though there are many new nice establishment and architectural building built, I would say it maybe extremely expensive to live and find a house with civil standards, and this should be picked carefully. but any way I wish you a good luck up there.

Dear
Thank you because you want to follow the traditions of the country, actually you should wear long skirts, you can wear your trousers, please be yourself.

feel free to contact me i am here for your help

[Moderated: Please use private message to send personal contact information.]

Best Ragard
Hinwa Ahmed

long sleeves and trousers :)

I think you will choose to wear slacks, khakis, or to try out a knee-length pencil skirt. Dark colors, like black or dark brown, are the most traditional and best received.

If you dress in a provagative way to a certain culture, this is when the way you dress draw attention by local people and found to be offensive, this is what you need to avoid and understand a different way of thinking in different part of the world, colors has nothing to do with it, it has to do with covering sensitive part of your body according to certain culture or religion, but other than that you should be your self and good luck exploring different cultures regardless of your personal opinion.