What to bring, what to sell, what to store

My wife and I are planning a 6-12 month vacation to the San Ignacio area to ensure our move is a good fit and to get a feel for where we'd like to buy/build. The pressing question right now is what to bring, what to get rid of and what to store (for now). Our plan is to buy an older Chevy Suburban, load our four dogs up along with whatever else we're bringing and drive down through Mexico. All advice is most welcomed and the more specific, the better. Thanks!

Many of my friends have done it -driving through Mexico . Knowing to speak Spanish may help.
What to bring ?
Almost everything is available in Belize ,just expensive
A computer  and a cell phone (un locked with the right frequency (for SMART and BTL) may be a good idea
Some antibiotics ,just in case to fight off any infection may also be a good idea

What about our our flat screen TV and my power tools (all are a few years old)?

Also, any advice on driving through Mexico would be great. Mexico Mike suggests entering through Laredo, Texas, but I have a friend who is from Mexico who suggests Nogales, AZ and another poster on this site recommended the same.

Thanks!

Good idea to bring Any electronic equipments with energy saving features . One will have to declare the value  and pay duty on it even if it is old and you had it for years.
Invoice will e great to make this process easy.

driving thru Mexico= leave USA from Texas, early in the morning.   stay on toll roads which are patrolled by the federales.   do not travel at night.   stay in hotels that have gated parking lots with security guards.  If your dogs are small enough to fit in a crate under the seat of a plane, I would suggest that you have a family member care for your dogs, until you are settled somewhere. then make the trips by air to bring your dogs and small items that will fit in your suitcases.   flying into Cancun is cheap.    Bring your tv, , a set of sheets, pillows, a memory foam mattress topper and a mattress pad, and cooking utensils, small appliances.    2 teflon non stick fry pans.  a countertop convection/toaster oven and crock pot.   These items are either not available in Belize or are of inferior quality and expensive.   it is very hot almost all the time, & concrete houses heat up like ovens, so it is a good idea to generate as little heat as possible when cooking.   using a range as little as possible.   BTW, listen to Dr. Al.   he is acerbic in his remarks, and accurate.

Thanks for the specific advice! The primary reason we're driving is because our dogs are old and large. We couldn't even begin to think about putting them in the cargo hold of a plane. Driving also provides us with the ability to bring along the bare essentials (a very helpful list you provided, indeed). Are the toll roads the primary reason you suggest the Laredo entry point?

We quite enjoy reading Dr. Al's acerbic postings. We recognized early on that there is wisdom wedged in between his wit. Curious why he prefers Panama.

Cheaper wine and access to mushrooms.

and specific/particular cheeses!
It is my understanding that you can bring in household/personal items free of duty/tariff once you have been granted permanent residency. I assume that means everything you want to bring, you need to store for the 1 year + it takes to obtain permanent residency. Anyone know of how to get things here earlier other than QRP? I assume not, but it nevver hurts to ask. Thanks for any guidance.

Good Morning KarenJoe,

I did not bring furniture.  I brought sheets, towels, curtains, pots, pans, dishes, kitchen utensils, silverware, clothes, PC, DVDs, CDs and other personal items into the country after my arrival here.  I had an inventory with values listed, sent to Joseph Freight and they handled the rest.  Not including the shipping fee, duties on all of my belongings were only $260.00 Bz $'s   I was told that once I received my PR status, I would be able to fill out other forms and receive a reimbursement for a part of that.  I did not even bother.  I have no clue about shipping the entire household with furniture and extras.  Everything else needed I have acquired here, with one exception being a used car later on imported and shipping as well as duties were not that bad either on it.

Hey, thanks for the great information.
So, if I understand you, you can bring in personal items such as you listed prior to being officially a PR. That was my issue. We would bring in basically the same items you did - no furniture, no vehicles, possibly mattress, plus my tools. The shipper I will use here is probably the same as Spiceman, as he is located in the same state as I am,  and ships to Big Creek.
Thanks again

Help does anyone know of a resonable mover from denver we want to be there marchto start building our home in consejo shores  :)