Some quick safety guidelines on taking taxis in Libya

There are two types of taxis here. The first is the black and white cars with the sign on top. The second is just regular citizens who own a car and wanna make extra money/a living off of it (Libyans call them "private cars").

The black-and-white taxis are licensed by the government and are practically guaranteed to be safe. The "private cars" -while technically illegal- are very widespread (and here in Benghazi actually outnumber the real taxis -dunno if that's also the case in Tripoli) and are cheaper. They are usually safe during the daytime but it's not a good idea to ride one at night, especially if you're a foreigner.

Here are some common sense rules to follow when taking either type of taxi:

1. The first and most important rule is that no matter which type of taxi it is, NEVER, EVER get in when there is more than one person in the car. Don't think you're safe if you have them outnumbered - you'll most probably be taken to a dark alley where they have plenty of friends waiting.

2. At night, do not ride in private cars. It's better to pay more for a government taxi and get there safe than to take a private car and risk something nasty happening to you.

3. Try not to ride alone at night.

4. Negotiate your price BEFORE you get in the car.

5. Make a mental note of the car's license plate number before you get in, just in case. Try to be discreet about it.

6. Pay only after you get to your destination.

7. Don't act like a pushover. Most people here are cowards. They won't usually feel brave enough to attempt to rob you unless they perceive weakness or timidness. If you've been a timid person your whole life, your stay here in Libya would be a good time to change that and develop a stronger personality.

8. If you DO end up getting caught in a nasty situation, do not put up any form of resistance. First, mention in a very calm, emotionless voice that you have the car's license number memorized. Then do what you're asked without saying anything. If you're asked to hand over your money, phone, and watch, do it. Your valuables can be replaced; your life can't.
The exception is if you happen to be a karate black belt or ex-navy seal. In which case disregard all that and feel free to fight your way out.

Thebigtuna wrote:

T

8. If you DO end up getting caught in a nasty situation, do not put up any form of resistance. First, mention in a very calm, emotionless voice that you have the car's license number memorized. Then do what you're asked without saying anything. If you're asked to hand over your money, phone, and watch, do it. Your valuables can be replaced; your life can't.
The exception is if you happen to be a karate black belt or ex-navy seal. In which case disregard all that and feel free to fight your way out.

Hi Bigtuna, thanks for the useful tips.

I have been in charge of expat security in Honduras for some time now, and the situation here is pretty rough.

I do not concur with one of your last points (hope you don't mind), telling the assailants about knowing their license plate, that is quite dangerous. My recommendation is to keep the event as brief as possible, do not make eye contact, do not argue or oppose in any way and do not express any possibility of identifying the robbers.

Anyone desperate enough to assault and rob other people, especially in a muslim country can take desperate measures not to be identified. In Honduras that means killing you. I know libya is not Honduras, but you never know what's on the mind of the robbers.

If you have been wise, listened to bigtuna and taken note of the license plates, then go to Police, make a statement and they'll most certainly catch the robbers, probably recover stolen goods and take their sorry asses off the streets, and that is good! (Am i being too optimistic?)

Don't be a hero, the goal is staying alive to tell it. The other points are good. In some Latin american countries people conspicuously take note of the license plates of taxis and even transmit the information to the destination, so the taxi driver knows he's well identified. I understand in Libya people might be offended by this.

Thanks

Jotxo

Hi thebigtune; you have written a good topic and Jotxo has commented very well and I am 100% agree with Jotxo for the portion he has contributed. I will always keep the entire advice in my mind.
Thanks,

:top:

Good taxi story.....
Last year when I arrived in Tripoli, my expected driver didn't show.  I don't speak Arabic at all.  One of the airport officials got me a taxi driver.  This guy was fantastic.  He spent half the day driving me around and making sure that I had everything that I needed.  He even sat in the Libyana office to help me get a phone.  At the end of it all, I had to force him to take my money.  He seemed quite embarrased that he should be paid for helping me.  I know not all drivers are the same but as I was a female, alone, and not able to speak Arabic, it made a very big impression on me.  It was quite different from Egypt where people ask you for a tip just for looking in your direction!

We've had a good experience too ... once our car got stuck in the sand off the road somewhere beyond Tajura in the middle of a terrible sandstorm. A taxi stopped seeing us there and the two men tried to move the car and help us without us even asking. They eventually went to the road and stopped a 4X4 vehicle and helped haul us out of the sand. They didn't seem to mind the sand blowing in their faces and we didn't even get a chance to thank them properly ... they were off with a beep of their car horn. I couldn't imagine this happening anywhere else ... people going out of their way to help you without expecting anything in return....