Calling for >> Testimony from Expatriates <<

Hello Everybody :)

So as to get to know how life for an Expatriate is in New Zealand ( No matter in which city you are ), We are inviting members to give their Testimony in the following :

> How do you find everyday life in New Zealand? Is it stressful? Do you get by easily?

> For those you went there for work, could you please tell us if there are easily work opportunities for Expatriates?

> How is the Cost of living there?

> Is there a lot of events and entertainment?

> What do you most dislike about the country?

> What do you most Like about the coutry?

Looking forward to your contribution!  :top:

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Dear Kenjee - I do not live in N.Z. at present ( am in Sydney ).
                       N.Z. is a marvellous country to bring children up in, arguably
                      the best in the world.
                      There are a multitude of events a thousand things to do.
                      The scenery speaks for itself and if you are driving there is
                      almost a new view around every corner ( slight exaggeration ).
                      Personally I never had any trouble getting a job or work there.
                      Go for it is my motto - you are only young once !    Peter  O.  (Granity)

Thank you for this share Peter O.!

Really appreciate it  :top:

Hi. I'm originally from Antwerp, Belgium. I've lived in New Zealand for the past eight years and I now call it my home.

> How do you find everyday life in New Zealand? Is it stressful? Do you get by easily?

Everyday life I find very straight forward and not too stressful. In general people are happy, relaxed and friendly in their demeanour. There is a general acceptance for all cultures, genders and races. There's a lot of open space and escaping into nature is always easy. The country is amazingly beautiful.

> For those you went there for work, could you please tell us if there are easily work opportunities for Expatriates?

With a skill set in web and IT I found it rather easy to get a job here. Knowing English well is a must.

Living is rather expensive on the whole. Food is expensive and so is housing. It doesn't help that New Zealand is so far from other countries, so imported goods are a bit more expensive, too.

Being far away from the rest of the world inevitably means less international shows and exhibits coming through. However, New Zealanders do their best to get as much happening as possible, and in the last eight years I've never gotten bored. There is a very good home music scene in New Zealand. The only thing I miss are the many museums from the old country.

The quality of housing can be a bit hit and miss. There's an abundance of poorly insulated and sometimes damp housing. Things are on the up, with the government putting more regulations in place to improve these conditions.

> What do you most Like about the country?

Quality of life in New Zealand is fantastic and Kiwis have great spirit!

Hello editkid :)

Thanks a lot for your contribution!  :thanks:

Have a great day!  :top:

Kenjee

Hi there;

I may repeat what editkid said above but here we go -
I came to NZ in 2011 for a 6-month internship in Gisborne. Really liked it and decided to come back to settle here for a bit. I've been in Wellington for a bit more than a year and half now. I'm 25 y/o, from France.

New Zealand lifestyle is NOT stressful. Kiwis can be prood of their work-life balance. They value personal interests and family life. They are very easy going and flexible, warm, friendly. Love joking and making fun of themselves. They are very modest and when meeting new people it doesnt matter whether you are successful or not, the way you dress or act; kiwis dont seem to judge one another as much as we do in France (/Europe?).

I have a master in sustainable agriculture, i think i was lucky to find a job very easily. I started as an intern and the same company offered me a permanent position. I did look at job offers related to sustainable agriculture / organic farming, they werent many and i'm not sure a new company would have been willing to support me through the work-visa application process.

Unfortunately living in Wellington is quite expensive - accomodation, food, imported goods. Going out for food or drinks is also pricy.

It might really depend on where you live! Gisborne was very quiet, only a few caffes were open in the weekends, eateries and entertainment was quite limited... Although beaches, hikes and landscapes really make up for the lack of other activities and i never got borred!
Wellington is really lively, the music and cinemas industries are very active, and there are festivals all year around (food, music, movies, queer, french, italian, german festivals...). Always something to do! Beaches and bushy areas are also really easy to access from the capital.

Accomodation - It was also difficult for me to find a nice place to live. Unfortunately, if you're looking for a dry (not mouldy) place, kind of insulated and not ran down.. be aware that you actually have high standards. The 'norm' in terms of accomodation is definitely not up to our European standards.
Kiwis are very easy to meet and to talk too, however they are shy people and it takes a lot of time to be 'friend' with someone. I think I miss having intimate friendships or having someome i can share personal thoughts with. I have close friends here, but they're not kiwis..!

As per question 1/ ! The lifestyle is amazing. Cities are not crowded, day to day life is easy, simple and stressless. And kiwis are friendly, helpful, and easy to talk to!

Well People are friendly here and life is a bit laid back. I live in Auckland and its one of the biggest multi-cultural city
which is sometime great but have its own downsides as well..

Well if you have right skills and good English then finding a job is not that much difficult but some time it may take time.

EXORBITANT, it is ridiculously SKY HIGH

In Auckland there are heaps

+ like everyone said, Houses are not up to the mark and those which are nicely build, warm are priced like one would want to kill him/herself. Most of the people end up living in shabby houses / Sharing with others

+ Traffic in Auckland is just impossible (Peak times only)

+ Safety is a big concern in few parts of Auckland like Otara, Mangree, Otahuhu, Clendon Park, Wiri etc.

+ Lack of 24*7 markets

Beauty, Climate and people

Hello all

@Vadrouilleuse & gourav : Thanks a lot for your contribution!  :thanks:

Heard that cost of living there was High, and that is actually what you all has been testifying!

If any other membres have some more info to shed, please do not hesitate ;)

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

:up: