Samana, Dominician Republic

I've read several posts of the region and the Peninsula, not of Samana in particular (as of yet).

As I research areas of interest, I seem to be coming back to here.
I love the size of the Harbor and that it's a protected harbor.
Seems a 'day sail' right there could be quite nice.
And it seems extended sailing could be interesting as well.

Being of retirement age and looking for an interesting (warm) climate, I like this region of the world.
I will be visiting this winter to put 'eyes-on' what is there.

First, Can you recommend a place to stay?
Second is the obvious and hardest.. What can you tell me of the town?

Being we're of retirement age (and currently healthy), we will at some time need more healthcare.
Is it available? Is it good?
Cost of living.. Being from the USA, what can we expect for dollar?
Personal security.. Do I need to look for 'gated communities'? Just how safe is it there?

Certainly more questions to come..
Probably a decent start.

Hmm.. No response..
I see many of you are looking at the Northern side of the peninsula.
I really like the Southern side due to geographical location.
Also like the protection of the bay.
Unique location and area.

I'm still hoping someone here can tell me something about this area..
Still a few years before retirement, but hoping to make a decision well before that.

What I've learned so far, is some of the regions I like talk of 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, but do not speak of how the water gets there. I've read a few of that claim 'inverter', which means no power outside of what you produce.

Question one: Well? Or collection?
Question two: Generator or Solar? What is poplar there? What is the source?

Did I insult someone??
Am I too Naïve to answer?
Am I in the wrong thread?

I don't think anybody is offended, I just think there are not many people in this forum (if any) that live on that side of the country. Most are from Santo Domingo, Cabarete / Sosua area and I am from Bayahibe on the south. We have power 24/7 because we are close to the resorts and have private power company (but more expensive of course), we have water that is brought here from the fresh water caves. This is of course not the case on the north or even in Santo Domingo. So how it is around Samana? You have to visit, talk to the people that live there and see yourself.

Gated community is recommended, heath care is affordable, we (couple) pay 80 USD per month with dental and vision included. The private clinics might be better equipped than some clinics in the States.

One note from me - the whole north and east, not only the north side of the peninsula, is the Atlantic coast, I hope you've seen it - most tourists don't know that. So if you are expecting a calm turquoise blue water, you might have to visit Bayahibe area. From my experience, living on the north side and on the south, we get less rain here, BUT because there is a bit more rain on the north everything is more lush.

Denise

Thank you! I was afraid I said something wrong..

My assumption of the area is, rainwater collection and self powered.
Maybe in town I could expect something better, but as and where I'd prefer to be.. Probably the case.
I'm not an apartment sort of person.
I need space to walk and do the 'silly' things I do.

I do realize it's the Atlantic side and being from the Northeast US, I have learned to appreciate the waters.
Now give me those waters in a warm climate.. I could really like that.
I didn't realize the climate (rain) would be that much different.

Your response has raised the question as of why not many folk here are not in this region..
Is crime rate higher?
Is it a lack of medical?
Is it just that fact of the Atlantic?
Questions I need to resolve..

I like we're your at, but I have to weigh it against my wants..
I will research the your area more.
Again, thank you for responding.

I think you might be picturing the area a bit differently that it is. Do not expect a town like in USA. Look at the population here on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saman%C3%A1_Province - that is for the whole Samana province, scroll down to see the sizes of the municipalities.
There are people living in the area of course, but they might not have as easy internet access as in more populated area, or more touristy areas.
The crime, medical etc is probably the same as anywhere on the north coast. The best is to come and see. We came couple times for a longer period of time before we decided to make our move. If you have never been here before, you might not even like it. The life is very very different that you might know or picture.
For us Samana is a great area to go for a weekend or a vacation because of the beautiful nature. But it might all change soon because of the new highway from Punta Cana to Mitches, so it might get a bit more explored that it is now.

Denise