Cost of living in Wales

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and useful to exchange informations about the cost of living in Wales . The idea is to help those who would like to live in Wales.
Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Wales?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub

Thanks in advance for your participation!

I've been living in Wales for 2 years now.  My town, Abersytwyth, is slightly on the expensive side because there is high demand (students) for a small town, but it should still give you an idea.

Accomodation: En-suite bedrooms in self-catered flat - 300-350£ per month

Public transport: within town (1£-1.50£), single Abersytwyth-Cardiff (12£).  There are bus cards available for students (free travel within town and half-price for other travels inside Wales).  There are no tubes in Wales as far as I know.  Trains can be very cheap if bought 1 month in advance (Aberystwyth-London 8£-30£)

Food prices: I generally go by 15-20£ per week, but this is variable depending on how much you eat, and the quantity of meat (very expensive meat here) you eat.  The following prices were from my last groceries (I buy mostly home brands, which are cheaper)
- 1.5L bottle of juice: 77p
- 1L of milk: 86p
- 8 oranges: 1£
- canned food (peas, corn, etc.): 50-70p
- butter: 70p-1.20£
- frozen pizza: 1.70-3£
Cheapest places are Lidl, Tesco and Morrisons.  Then Sainsbury, then Somerfield, then Coop.
Spar is a convenience store, some open 24/7.

Health:  If you are staying in the UK for more than 6 months, you do not have to pay medical fees, you get a NHS number automatically.  In Wales also, prescription medicines are free.

Education:  3-tiers, depending on if you're from the UK, the EU, or the rest of the world, with different costs.  I'm doing a Master's in Wales and I'm from North America, therefore I have to pay 8500£ per year.  A similar program in Cardiff was 11000£.  Very few scholarships are available to non-UK/EU students here.

Mobile phone:  Choose between a contract (1-2-3 years) or pay-as-you-go depending on your use and the duration of your stay.
For pay-as-you-go, the best place to get the phone itself is the Carphone Warehouse, you can then pick any network provider.
Orange does best prices for pay as you go, but other companies may do better deals on contracts if you use your mobile often.

Going out:
- main meal: about 10£ minimum in a restaurant, less in a pub or a take-away.  You can also save lots if you buy sandwiches in a market, or pasties in a bakery (they are quite filling and cost only 1.50-2£)
- Pint of cider: 2.50-80£ on average
- Regular coffee/tea: about 1.80£

Mail: very fast within the UK (often next-day delivery).
- within UK: 60-90p for a normal letter
- oustide UK: postcard to Canada about 1.10£

These are all I can think of at the moment!  Hope this helps some of you

Hi.  I am an Irish girl thinking of moving to Wales and would like some general feedback about how Irish people feel living in Wales.  Is it a friendly place for Irish people?  And would you recommend someone to emigrate here.  Thanks!  N

it seems interesting to live there?

Wow this forum is pretty quiet. I have lived in Wales (Cardiff) most of my life. I am moving to Malta for work so thats how I found this website.
Cardiff is a great place to live. Some areas are a little bit rough, but thats mainly inner city as with most cities. The suburbs are nice though are much cheaper. Transport into the city is cheap and frequent.
Shopping is amazing. Nightlife is amazing. Plenty of nice picturesque places in the city and the surrounding area.
Any questions at all, just send me a message!!

Are there any fellow South Africans living in Caldicot area? When did you move over from South Africa? And how do you compare the cost of living and living conditions there?

I have been offered a salary of 3750 pounds per month. Is it ok to stay in wales

Hem much would I get after tax deduction if my salary is 3750 pounds

the cost of living in Wales is fabulous, i am able to buy all the necessities (some not)  #banter #lidl #dontjudgeme #afghanistan4laif #

Hi
Recognizing the fact i am replying very late. I hope you had enjoyed your time in wales.

Cheers
Abhey

hello
The average income in wales is £1400 a month. I think that should be marverlous for you. tax is 20% flat after intial £10000 a year limit plus national insurance separate.

Hi, I was hoping to see information about llanberis?

Hello Camz World,

This thread is from 2008.

May I request that you open a new thread on the Wales forum so that active members may guide you ?

thanks in advance,

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed