Salary avice

Hi All,

I am from United States, and now moving to Singapore for at least 15 months, along with my spouse.

I have few questions in before accepting this offer
-what is a normal cost of living in Singapore.
- Should i go for Local plus compensation package or balance sheet approach.
-Which area do I prefer to live

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

sahilmalik wrote:

Hi All,

I am from United States, and now moving to Singapore for at least 15 months, along with my spouse.

I have few questions in before accepting this offer
-what is a normal cost of living in Singapore.
- Should i go for Local plus compensation package or balance sheet approach.
-Which area do I prefer to live

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Welcome aboard.

I am sure members will answer your post soon
For cost of living try www.numbeo.com

For salary try www.payscale.com

Better than payscale.com are various Singapore salary surveys regularly published by headhunters and consultancies. You can use Google to find them!

FAA aircraft dispatcher: I'm a Aeronautical Engineer here in the Philippines but currently working as a Instructor in our University Teaching Power Plant for 1 year now. I just got my FAA aircraft dispatch license in Jeppesen Denver USA. My question is can I get a job in singapore? How much is the salary rage of an FAA? Thank you!

You are in a very specific (and small) niche, so it's unlikely somebody here can help you.
Regarding salary range, you might consult Singapore salary surveys that are regularly published by some headhunters and consultancies (find them by Google).

Hi,

note that in Singapore there is 3 standards:
1/ until recently there were no minimum wage, meaning that someone working in a famous fast food chain is paid around 6-10$ SGD => you do what you can to survive
2/ confortable singaporean life => you live in an HDB, own a car => 2000-3000 SGD/month for your appartment, so I guess around 5000 SGD income is a good average
3/ expats life => you live in a condominium (4000-6000 SGD/ month), so an average package could be around 10000SGD

Petitmicky wrote:

2/ confortable singaporean life => you live in an HDB, own a car => 2000-3000 SGD/month for your appartment, so I guess around 5000 SGD income is a good average

How so?
S$2000-3000/month to rent an HDB is o.k., but having a car costs another S$1000-2000/month, and if you have kids in an international school (getting foreign kids into local schools is very difficult) add another S$1500-3000/month. Everything else (food, clothes, public transport, moderate entertainment, etc.) comes to S$600-800/month per person, so that a family of three needs S$6000-10000.
Also, the average Singapore household (also a family of three) has an income of S$7000/month - and they don't pay rent, since they own their HDB flat.
Singapore isn't cheap!

Hi SahilMalik

HDB Accom: 2500 SGD Max
Condo Accom: 4000 SGD Average (if you want to stay around expat resident area)
Utilities : 250-300 SGD (depends on usage as well)
Schooling : 1500-2500 SGD per child (International School)(fee range a lot will vary with your choice of school), You can however opt for local school, they aren't bad though. Problem, as an expat you are at the last of the enrollment list of local schools.
Household/Grocerries : 1000 SGD max for a family of 4.
Travel: 150 per pax if you use Public Transport(Bus/Train) to commute. (Spore public transport is one of the best in the world, peak hours may give you a little pain, just a little, Taxi is very easily available and is cheap, It cost me SGD 15-17 for a ride of around 13-15kms)
Car : 2000 SGD (for a normal car, parking can be a problem at times.)
Medical & Insurance will surely be provided by your employer.
I think you can sum up your cost of living now.
Lastly, I advise you ask your potential employer to provide you expat status, so you will avoid a big hassle of Housing & Schooling.