Moving to Manila w/ 1 year old girl

Hi there
I'm hoping some light and confidence can be shed on this by those with similar experience (working mothers/fathers) or local knowledge...
I have the opportunity to move to Manila for 2 years next year with my daughter who will be 1yo at that time.  My husband has work commitments back in Australia still, so for the first year at least, he will only be with us for 1 month out of every 3.
My job will be at least 9-5, with some out of hours functions that I would need to attend throughout the month.
Should I be concerned leaving my young daughter in the sole care of a nanny during working hours?  I would love to hear peoples thoughts/ opinions on this.  Is there any advice for someone in my situation where I would essentially be a 'single' parent for 2/3rds of the year, with no one to keep track of the nanny and her treatment of my daughter during the day?  I have anxieties about not only safety, but my daughter receiving the kind of care that will also develop her.

Appreciate any advice and thoughts that will help me make the right decision for my family and my career!

:)

Gooday Mila

From another aussie who has lived in the Philippines for many years I would suggest finding a reliable day care centre where you can take your little one for the day so that you have some confidence that your child is going to be taken care of.

Please feel free to contact me when you arrive for further advise - [email protected]

Pat and Marissa Hawkins

Good day!

Mam, If you looking someone or a nanny  to taking care of your child consult first to your friend here in the Phil. so  that you've any idea or choices. If you prepare to apply one of the agency here be careful not all the  nanny are  trustworthy. I'm not saying i'm good for this of kind of work.  Cos my work is a housekeeping/ part time/ full time live-out job. Hear you soon if you looking a housekeeping  Thank you. Please contact me this no.#09157066088.

Hi Mila - hope you don't mind that I'm asking from your topic. I've just moved into Manila for the same reasons as you since July.
So far, it's been good, but it's quite true that it's hard to find good and reliable nanny around.

Hi Pat and Marissa - I was told that there isn't any daycare centre (as it's not a practice here since they prefer to hire a "yaya"). Would you mind sharing the name, location, contact and how much does it cost? Initially, this was my preference when I first arrived in July. Btw, I am in Makati.

Thank you mate!

Samantha

MilaInManila wrote:

Hi there
I'm hoping some light and confidence can be shed on this by those with similar experience (working mothers/fathers) or local knowledge...
I have the opportunity to move to Manila for 2 years next year with my daughter who will be 1yo at that time.  My husband has work commitments back in Australia still, so for the first year at least, he will only be with us for 1 month out of every 3.
My job will be at least 9-5, with some out of hours functions that I would need to attend throughout the month.
Should I be concerned leaving my young daughter in the sole care of a nanny during working hours?  I would love to hear peoples thoughts/ opinions on this.  Is there any advice for someone in my situation where I would essentially be a 'single' parent for 2/3rds of the year, with no one to keep track of the nanny and her treatment of my daughter during the day?  I have anxieties about not only safety, but my daughter receiving the kind of care that will also develop her.

Appreciate any advice and thoughts that will help me make the right decision for my family and my career!

:)

Hi Ms. Mila,
My name is Nora 46 yrs old,married an ex-abroad worker. Came back home for good and searching for a job..
If you are considering to get a nanny for your 1yr.old girl, I am interested to apply.
I previously worked in Saigon(Hochminh city) Vietnam for 6 years in European families(France and German)   
as Nanny/Helper.
I have a Letter of Recommendation from my previous employer. You can do  background check through them
by email. If you are interested please free to contact me in skype norabreisescalderon, yahoo [email protected] or 
by mobile +639367372595 / landline#02 8080136
Best Regards,

I have a nanny who takes care of the kids, i.e. helps in feeding, bath, etc. but I do not leave the maid and nanny alone with the kids.  My parents are always there to supervise. If my parents need to go somewhere, I take off from work to stay with the kids until my parents return.  I just cannot bring myself to leave my kids alone with a nanny. But that's just me.

Do you have someone you know, say a trusted co-worker whose wife is a stay-at-home mom and is at home most of the time? You might want to consider, if it's okay with the wife, dropping your child and nanny at their place and pick them up later. At least there's someone to supervise. There's probably an expat stay-at-home mom out there who's willing to help out.

hi thaodien,

similar with FilAmericanMom, my brother is at home to supervise things while my husband and i are at work.
Nevertheless, it could be difficult when either one doesn't speak a common language, but i believe as long as they are aware that it's for the best of the child, it will be ok.

I also get my yaya to read to my son, and try to accompany him as much as possible as he is now at the age where he walk/climbs/super active, so it's best you have as much activities at home for your toddler to learn and play, otherwise it would probably be only tv/youtube nursery rhymes all day long!

Hi! You may try Colors and Shapes Daycare & Learning Center.  It is a daycare and learning center that offers daycare, tutorials & early learning to babies & toddlers. It is located at Prince Plaza 1 Condominium, In front of Greenbelt 5 Mall, Legazpi St.., Legaspi Village, Makati City.

The place is clean & safe... very child-friendly! :) Visit or call at 0927-527-1234.

Thanks.

Hi!  If you're having second thoughts of leaving your daughter with a nanny, you can enroll her in a playschool or daycare.  This will also keep her entertained and learn more rather than left alone at home with a yaya... There are several daycares and playschools around... If you are in Makati area, you might want to consider Colors and Shapes Daycare & Learning Center in Makati. It is just across Greenbelt 5 Mall, at the ground floor of Prince Plaza 1 Condominium, Legazpi Street, Makati City. It is a daycare and learning center that offers daycare services, tutorials & early learning for babies & toddlers... You may visit or call +63927-5271234.

Thanks & good luck! :)