Volunteering on a retirement visa

I read that even if you are volunteering, you need a work permit. If you are on a retirement visa, can you get a work permit to volunteer?

Proandgo wrote:

I read that even if you are volunteering, you need a work permit. If you are on a retirement visa, can you get a work permit to volunteer?

You cannot get a work permit if you have a retirement visa

Proandgo wrote:

Work permits are not available on a retirement extension. I see you say "retirement visa" which could mean a Non Immigrant O-A visa(long stay) which some folk call a retirement visa. However the same rule would apply to that type of visa.

On the other hand a work permit can be issued if you are on a marriage extension of stay even if you are a retired person :)

So you can not do volunteer work without a work permit and you can not get a work permit with a retirement visa. I guess I do not undrstand because all I wanted to do would be donating my time ( without pay or compensation) to help a charitable organization but I guess I would not be allowed. If this is incorrect, please advise

Proandgo wrote:

So you can not do volunteer work without a work permit and you can not get a work permit with a retirement visa. I guess I do not undrstand because all I wanted to do would be donating my time ( without pay or compensation) to help a charitable organization but I guess I would not be allowed. If this is incorrect, please advise

As things stand if you are on a retirement extension(I note you say retirement visa) then that's how the Thai law stands.
For anyone wanting to volunteer in Thailand who is just arriving they would need an O Visa which would only be issued under certain conditions. If they got the visa they would then need a work permit(organised by their charity)before they could work.
A person on a marriage extension can apply for a work permit which could include charitable work.

I have heard of folk on retirement extensions doing voluntary stuff but it's all done below the radar.

Thanks for the information
Do other countries look this the same  this way?
I guess I do not understand why.
It would benifit everyone to allow retirees to volunteer.
It is not taking a job from anyone.
People who are " retired" like to help others and make things better.
This would be something that I would have to consider before moving.

Proandgo wrote:

Thanks for the information
Do other countries look this the same  this way?
I guess I do not understand why.
It would benifit everyone to allow retirees to volunteer.
It is not taking a job from anyone.
People who are " retired" like to help others and make things better.
This would be something that I would have to consider before moving.

Not sure about other countries. I totally agree about retirees giving time etc. I am retired myself and could offer several skill sets that would be useful locally. Thailand for whatever reason chooses not to make use of a readily available and in many cases willing volunteer force.

Given the state of "English language use" in Thailand and their integration into ASEAN you would have thought that someone would have recognised the availablity of free tutors!

Thailand is neurotic!  They are screwing up their tourism  and other countries will soon handle the outflow of many disgruntled people. But such is every Country ' s demise ! It's rather sad ! Priorities  are getting so Obtuse in Thailand .yyet maybe they are in all countries!

Has anyone in the government ever been able to give a reasonable explanation as to why they are not willing to accept this free and avaible resource ( retirees volunteer labor).
I would guess there are 1000s of hours that expats would volunteer ( if the government would allow it).

I think it is hard.

A retire person might not need the money and therefor can do it for free.
But by doing so (If we talk about teaching English) a person that NEED money and work, might not be able to get it.
I think it have something to do with that ?

All so, if people be able to do it for free, then the school all over, might stop paying a "fair" paycheck to people that want to be English teacher. Stop paying 10-20-30-40 or 50k-75k-100k and so on to a English teacher, Because cheaper to use one that work for free, be very hard to find work i think !!!

I think we have to look at both side of the coin ?

And people coming here for Retirement, well it is for Retirement and not for work.
Think we have to look at the big picture, and not only on what we want / like to do here, even so, we think we be helping people here.

I feel the BIG picture is what benifits the entire community not just a small group. If a person is not spending money on goods and/or service, that leaves more money to be spent to be spent on different goods and services. This way the entire economy grows by allowing retires to donate there time.
I totally agree that someone should not get paid for doing a job that a resident could do so if the local people wanted to donate their time, there should get the first shot at donating.

Proandgo wrote:

it depends

Although you will work as a volunteer, you do need a Non-Immigrant visa as well as the Work Permit. The NGO must be legally registered with the Thai authority, and that you need a recommendation letter from the NGO for your visa application and the Work Permit.

Pretty hard to do actually. Volunteering is considered work.   Just do it and do not worry about it, you should not have any problems. T.I.T.   This is Thailand. Volunteer work would be more appreciated in an other country.

colabamumbai wrote:

Pretty hard to do actually. Volunteering is considered work.   Just do it and do not worry about it, you should not have any problems. T.I.T.   This is Thailand. Volunteer work would be more appreciated in an other country.

NO

it is against the Law

you can go to jail and be fined no matter if its volunteer work

and you could be deported and blacklisted

apply for a volunteer visa and do it properly

My understanding is no.  Just have to walk amongst the people, shining the light of love from your heart.

I agree. You shouldn't have any problems volunteering. Just ask. You can also change your retirement visa. I did to teach, and should a school, for instance, want you they'll help with the change. Legalities aside, Thais, like everyone, are grateful for any help you might offer.

you only need to have one complaint or a policeman needing some extra cash and you done

I've never heard of anyone ejected for volunteering. In fact, I bet if you go into a police station and offer to help in some way they'll be polite and even offer suggestions. If you want to be part of any Thai community I think it's a way to feel useful and make friends. Thais are like anyone...they appreciate generosity.

Looks in Thailand are the same regulations as we have in Indonesia.

On a retirement visa you are not allowed to work.

Volunteers would need a work permit except

I guess I have lived a very sheltered life because it appears to me that it  is so idiotic not to allow someone to benifit society by volunteering their time with no compensation.
Having said that, I guess the completely legal way is not to do anything to help others ( if you do not have a work permit) because the simplest thing could be considered working. If you do this, you can not fit into the community.
Does the Thai government really does not want expats  to fit in with the locals except as being someone to shell out money?
If this is the case, it puts a whole different spin on things.

As is often the case, what the Thai government wants and what the people want often differ. You won't have a problem if you decide to offer your services, and people will be appreciative. I've done it (I've been here 7 years), and I know others who have done it without any problem. Just be open and honest about it and ask advice. After all, prostitution is also illegal here, but you don't see many, if any, arrests. Don't worry.