I am desiring to live in Vietnam, can someone help me?

locbao wrote:

Hello ! Nice to meet you ! I like to improve my English so if you come to
vietnam i'll trying do my best to help you .Saigon Vietnam always welcome
you

Xin chao,
Thank you locbao. I would consider it an honor to assist you in improving your English in exchange for helping me get acquainted with the customs and language of beautiful Vietnam.

I will be in touch with you soon through private messaging on here.

snake77 wrote:

Personally I don't believe in the “a nation fails its citizens”, I am more along the line of “don't ask what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country

North Korea

Personally I don't believe in the “a nation fails its citizens”, I am more along the line of “don't ask what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country” and I wouldn't give the VN constitution too much of a thought or make any decisions based on it, Sir Charles talks a lot but never really does anything.

Point taken. Thank you for the insight. I guess I am just interested in learning everything possible about Vietnam, its cultures, customs, traditions, language...I love learning about new people, places and things, and Vietnam has always been a beautiful country (with beautiful people).

Some people may not agree with my reasons for wanting to come to Vietnam, but it is my passion to learn.

I will be in touch with you soon. Thank you again for your kindness and support.

If YenThai has been reading about the constitution of Vietnam she knows more about it than I do. I'm kind of curious what it says in there and what rights it guarantees in a country where the police can come search your home without warrant and you can get years' long prison sentences for writing poetry (not trying to freak anybody out or anything as there is probably a slim to none chance that a foreigner would receive such treatment).

Interesting story, true story: Ho Chi Minh hoped to use the U.S. Declaration of Independence ("All men are created equal. They are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.") and the Declaration of the French Revolution ("All men are born free and with equal rights, and must always remain free and have equal rights.") as the basis for a similar declaration for Vietnam and somewhat naively expected the support of U.S. President Woodrow Wilson to help end French colonial rule in Vietnam. It was only after he was resoundingly rebuffed by the western powers (who supported the brutal French colonial regime) at the Versailles peace talks that he started to look to the Chinese and Russians for help (5 years later in 1950).

Welcome to the forum!

How come that so many people want to go to the U.S. if it's such a bad place?

As someone who lived in many countries, I feel that one take oneself's problems wherever one may go. Certain people will have problems everywhere. ** Maybe you could just do your thing and pursue happiness and not mind geopolitics?

Decades ago, I heard of a Kraut who went to China to join the party. All went well, until one day he wanted to have some impromptu debate. They ran him out of town on a rail   :dumbom:
Go read the blog of the INTERNATIONAL. It's some tax centered guide on those wanting to escape the IRS...

Hello OP, if you are looking to renounce your US citizenship, I'm afraid you'll be stateless, as it is impossible for you to become a citizen in Vietnam even if you married a local here. Do you have any ties to Europe? Many European countries allow you to "reclaim" citizenship if you have documented proof your parents/grandparents were citizens of that country. India and China also does this but you don't appear to have that heritage.

Romanticizing living abroad is extremely common, I think that's what other posters are getting at with comments. If you never leave your honeymoon phase for coming to Vietnam, I will be very happy for you. But don't feel down if you come here and struggle to adjust, it's only natural. No amount of resentment for your home country will make it easier but I understand your feelings. I don't really miss much about USA, you're right that it's a hot mess right now!

Come and spend a few months to see how it feels living here.  Also, as others have said, it's extremely unlikely that you would obtain VN citizenship so you will need another passport if you wish to renounce US citizenship. 

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in your reading of the VN constitution.  Come here, spend time in the manner you think that you'd like to live, and then make your decision. 

Best of luck.

Why make such kneejerk/ drastic actions? where on earth did you come up with that name, it's about as Vietnamese as  the can of dr pepper i'm currently drinking. Also VN since 1986 especially Saigon is becoming more and more like the USA. Why don't you go to North Korea or even learn to live off the land in northern Norway or Alaska or something? Best of luck, but from my experience if you're unhappy in life changing your geographical location rarelyy brings happiness, the misery in one's head will always be there unless you work on fundamental behavioural change.

Okay..lets get this straight, you have never been to Vietnam, you want to simply renounce your citizenship and settle down here ? The Thai name is silly and most people here will never be able to pronounce it, the Vnese language is nearly all mono syllable.
I simply gotta say, you are nuts.
I have lived here in Vietnam most of the last 25 years as an American expat. I agree the USA has gone to hell, (That is the reason I am not there) but you have NO IDEA what you are getting yourself into.
If you have a heap of cash stashed, no worries, but unless you have qualifications that are really in demand you may find yourself more unhinged then you sound in your post.
I did not read your facebook page but the references are scary....I strongly suggest spending some time 1) Living here for a while, 2) Spending some time with a therapist to see exactly why you want out, and what you expect to find.
Good luck.
Vietnamese Constitution ??? Ha ha ha !!! Rights ? hahhahaa ! My god, you are of the rails !

There is NO W in the Vietnamese alphabet,  and you do not need to give up your American Citizenship to move here, as far as all that other dribble, woman with two first names, Keep you laundry in your own yard, this is Expat.com, Not FOX News.

Hi Nancy,

may I ask you what makes you choose Vietnam over say Thailand? I've lived in Thailand for years but am new here and have countless questions myself.

You do understand the answers you have been given, don't you?

* You won't get citizenship, period.
* the grass might not be greener over here after all - unless you are an affluent woman. (Yesterday, I was shown a tough contract. $ 100 for a tiny room, not a word about having a day off, health care, holidays or even notice period. But I won't get paid until the first 45 days are over  :huh::o ). // Friends report clauses like having to pay a deposit for the employer to grab in case of  them failing in their duties.

Once I got cheated by a company and the process worked beautifully in CA. FREE service by some government agency. The employer sent a few nasty letters and then paid up. I got thousands thanks to U.S. laws and services paid for by the taxpayers.

In Thailand, one has to pay 2% of the amount claimed (at the Administrative Court) and a lawsuit might take YEARS.

Germany has free Labour Courts at the lowest level but a lawyer will be needed for higher courts.

Q: Does anyone know about Labour Courts and employee rights over here?

I'm going   :offtopic:  but want to take an opportunity to examine your assumption that everything will be better over here.  (I like Vietnam so far and hope to never need to go to court, ever).

Q: How will you make a living? Teaching English?

It would be a good idea to come over and find out for yourself. (You don't have roots in Thailand? Even without a degree, you could find work - even if just for a semester or two).

Me, I'm experiencing unusual difficulties. Stuff like finding an old motorcycle. Transferring money out of the country. Finding a dry cleaning business (in Thailand, I got frequently cheated)... The METRO I visited had no Snickers, MMs or even chocolate.  :blink: 

Now I'm worried about receiving the 10 kg "care parcel" from my home country. It was delivered to Vietnam on the 28th. Now the folks at Customs might be probing every article. (Hope no one will steal anything or hit me with some outrageous customs duty demand for chocolates, used clothes and books). No such worries in the U.S.  :top:

As for politics, I think most people moan everywhere in the world.

You have got tremendous opportunity where you are now. Millions would give up the next 5 years' earnings for the chance to be in your shoes.

Me, I find it's a reflection of us whether we are happy or unhappy somewhere and in some situation. What can you control? Certainly not geo-politics!  ;)  So why sweat stuff you have no influence on?

Take care,
Chris

It's also worth pointing out in terms of renouncing citizenship that it is VERY difficult to do in US. You have a one year waiting period and have to go through a lot of hoops before it's approved. They do this to weed out anybody doing it on an emotional whim. I can't recall if this is law yet or not but there is an exit tax as well (or there will be soon due to a rapid number of Americans renouncing citizenship) Yen has not been back so maybe she did give this another thought. Good luck to you!

I think Snake77 is a more powerful name than Yennawawisriwafflisri anyway. Keep it simple and also keep your US citizenship.

I am disillusioned with my country too, and also needed a change but I will always be a Canadian.

You will love Vietnam as we all have, best of luck to you.

Vietnam really welcome every one that interested in living there. Hope you soon find a nice place that suit to you.
In my oppion, if you dont like America u better not chosing 2 big city HCM and HN. :)

Wait until you have lived in Vietnam long enough to hate the country and you'll regret renouncing your US citizenship. There are people who would kill for that. Oh and also, it's not easy to get Vietnamese citizenship or even PR.

Cheers.

(Moderated: please post in the Language classes in Vietnam section)

@YenThaiYawannisri

Hi YenThai,

I think I might help you a bit about most of everything in Vietnam before you come here.

I'm living in the South of Vietnam at the moment. If you wanna learn Vietnamese I can help.

Anything you need just named it and I'm willing to give you a hand.

Have a nice day there.

Hoang

Hi Hoang, I think you are 10 years too late!

@noddi

Yes, I recognized after sending it. Poor me!

Closed