Getting your Driving and Motorbike License in Vietnam

Dejavu.dot wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:
DirtyPierre wrote:

the guy from the photo copy place next door to the licensing office offered to get me a 10 year creditcard style license for a fee of 3.3million dong. I have asked around and that appears to be the going rate.

Is this for the A1 or A2 license? Next question anyone know of place in Da Nang? Address of place in HCMC?

He is not stable. He has relationship with a guy in the testing school. This guy looks like a motorbike repairing man who is small in that school. I asked him to help A2 theory but at that time there is a strict supervisor and that guy refused! Luckily I found another guy to do that.. Actually every employees do this job there. It is better for you to ask someone to help from the beginning so you will not pay much for the licence and not be headache to run around like I did.

You don't have to pay anything to anyone.....

Go get your DL license translated then take it to the DMV and pay your 135vnd..

Done....B2 and A2

But did have to run to the translation office twice as they didn't translate correctly the term "motor scooters and motorcycles" from my Hawaii license, they translated both terms to mean the same thing and the lady at the DMV office said it had to be translated better so she wouldn't get in trouble for issuing an A2.

Big-Tex wrote:

Just to add to the topic of license....

I applied Friday for my B2 and A2 license and won....

Pick it up in a week.

congratulation!  :D

So what did it end up costing altogether for both licenses and a break down of costs, ie translations etc.

DirtyPierre wrote:

So what did it end up costing altogether for both licenses and a break down of costs, ie translations etc.

Translation.. 40vnd

License...135vnd

4x6 pic...5vnd

Photocopies of passport...10vnd

Grand total...approximately $10usd

Thanks for the breakdown Big Tex.
I am having trouble attaching a photo of my new custom seat I designed for my Honda PCX
I will come back when I have worked out how to do it right

Custom seat for Honda PCX
http://s5.postimg.org/tg6ctp3s7/Custom_seat_at_Auto_Shop_1.jpg
http://s5.postimg.org/brem22s13/Custom_seat_at_Auto_Shop_2.jpg

Cant figure out how to embed pics here yet, so I will just post my new A2 license in my profile pic....

Big-Tex wrote:

Cant figure out how to embed pics here yet, so I will just post my new A2 license in my profile pic....

Wow congratulation!

You must have known Vietnamese well!

Dejavu.dot wrote:
Big-Tex wrote:

Wow congratulation!

You must have known Vietnamese well!

I know 3 words in Vnese

The laws with licensing seem to be getting a bit easier,would be nice to be able to just renew your license each time instead of doing the whole translation thing every 5 years.Cant see me doing the 100 questions in Vietnamese to be able to get a license like the locals.

Anh yêu em  :cool:

Big-Tex wrote:

I know 3 words in Vnese

charmavietnam wrote:

Anh yêu em  :cool:

Big-Tex wrote:

I know 3 words in Vnese

:top:

List of countries that have agreed to accept the 1949 United Nations Convention on road traffic covering acceptance of the International Driving Permit.

List of countries that have agreed to accept the 1949 United Nations Convention on road traffic covering acceptance of the International Driving Permit.
See also our Travel and Driving section. and Where to get and IDP in many of the countries listed below.

Albania     Guatemala    Peru
Algeria     Guyana     Philippines

Argentina     Haiti    Poland
Australia
Honduras    Portugal
Austria     Hong Kong     Romania
Bahamas     Hungary     Russian Federation
Bangladesh     Iceland     Rwanda
Barbados     India     St. Lucia
Belgium     Ireland     St. Vincent and Gren.
Belize    Israel    Samoa
Benin     Italy    San Marino
Botswana     Ivory coast     Senegal
Brazil    Jamaica    Seychelles
Bulgaria     Japan    Sierra Leone
Cambodia    Jordan    Singapore
Canada
Korea    Slovak Rep.
Central African Rep.    Kyrgyz Republic     South Africa
Chile     Laos    Spain
Colombia    Lebanon    Sri Lanka
Congo, Rep. of     Lesotho    Surinam
Congo, Dem. Rep.    Luxembourg    Swaziland
Costa Rica    Macao    Sweden
Ivory Coast    Madasgcar    Switzerland
Cuba     Malawi    Syria
Cyprus     Malaysia    Taiwan
Czech Republic     Mali    Tanzania
Denmark     Malta    Thailand
Dominican Republic     Mauritius     Togo
Ecuador    Mexico    Trinidad and Tobago
Egypt     Monaco    Tunisia
El Salvador     Morocco    Turkey
Fiji     Namibia     Uganda
Finland     Netherlands    United Kingdom

France    New Zealand     USA

Gambia    Nicaragua     Uruguay
Germany     Niger    Vatican City
Georgia (Rep. of)     Norway    Venezuela
Ghana     Panama    Vietnam
Greece     Papua New Guinea     Zambia
Grenada     Paraguay    Zimbabwe

I plan to start this Monday. I have been told by someone that since I have an international license and a USA license that has an endorsement for 'Motorcycle Also' for large bikes that I can request an A2 license ... anyone know if that is correct?  Thanks.

I have been going through this for years. I had an A! VN license. Last month I went to renew it and they said my internation license is all I need for A!, under 175cc. I've been working on A2 but can not pass the written test, its all in Vietnamese. I've sent emails to VN web master to forward but no reply on using international license for A2. I will take the vn test once more the end of this month and flunk it. My new HD will be in by 5 Sept and I will ride it on my internation license. Get photo copy's and translated to VN to carrier with you. also it would not hurt to do the same for the 1949 agreement VN signed agreement requarding motorcycles and cars. In Can Tho, they don't bother us much unless we are speeding. I do but they just stop me , tell me to slow down with hand signs and let me go. Good luck and keep us posted. Respectfully, jbay PS, I've had a Boston MA motorcycle license since 1959 (55 Years) and always road big bikes.

jbay1943 wrote:

I have been going through this for years. I had an A! VN license. Last month I went to renew it and they said my internation license is all I need for A!, under 175cc. I've been working on A2 but can not pass the written test, its all in Vietnamese. I've sent emails to VN web master to forward but no reply on using international license for A2. I will take the vn test once more the end of this month and flunk it. My new HD will be in by 5 Sept and I will ride it on my internation license. Get photo copy's and translated to VN to carrier with you. also it would not hurt to do the same for the 1949 agreement VN signed agreement requarding motorcycles and cars. In Can Tho, they don't bother us much unless we are speeding. I do but they just stop me , tell me to slow down with hand signs and let me go. Good luck and keep us posted. Respectfully, jbay PS, I've had a Boston MA motorcycle license since 1959 (55 Years) and always road big bikes.

Why you bothering taking the written test? Why not just transfer your MA license over? Its been explained to death here, easy enough to follow the process....

Just email RMV, MA for full description of my un-restricted MA driving license. I will have it translated in VN and take it to the VN license building in Can Tho. They told me 2 weeks ago I did not need to renew my A1 license because my international license is good for A1 but not A2. I will try again with photos and complete translations. I will keep this blog advice and thanks for all your help. Respectfully, John/jbay

Pierre, now the missus will catch as many bugs as you do   :D

The key is how they do the translation. Most of the time they will translate motorcycles to mean motor scooters....

If that happens, guaranteed A1 and no A2.

Thank you. Jbay

motorcycle
noun \ˈmō-tər-ˌsī-kəl\
: a vehicle with two wheels that is powered by a motor and that can carry one or two people
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
noun

Also called motorcycle. a two-wheeled vehicle, having a stronger frame than a bicycle, that is driven by a petrol engine, usually with a capacity of between 125 cc and 2,000 cc and up to 400 kg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 motorcycle /ˈmoʊtɚˌsaɪkəl/ noun
plural motorcycles
1 motorcycle
/ˈmoʊtɚˌsaɪkəl/
noun
plural motorcycles
Learner's definition of MOTORCYCLE
[count]
: a vehicle with two wheels that is powered by a motor and that can carry one or two people

Hi there....great post.....you referenced a TRC......what is that ?

many thanks.

Ottvantor wrote:

Hi there....great post.....you referenced a TRC......what is that ?

many thanks.

Who did? Where?

Temporary residence card

If you only have a 3month visa....You DL will only be for 3months as well.....

They are tied together, with your available stay time

colinoscapee wrote:

Temporary residence card

many thanks for that Colin. Cheers.

Monday, 8-9-14 they delivered my HD XL883L to Can Tho. The people at the tax office would not believe what I paid for this bike and have to get futher directions so I can pay my 5% sales tax and receive my plates. I have bill of Sale and customs papers, stamped, They also told me not to ride the bike on the transport plates. Is TP Can Tho backwards in there thinking, or they just don't think. My MA, USA and IDL are translated now into Vietnamese and I carry a copy in all 3 of my bikes. About 15 men from HD Saigon went to the states and they rented HD bikes on VN drivers license and VN passport. If they stop me, where in for a battle, If I'm wrong I'll admit it, but these police just don't understand that Vietnam signed the 1949 UN drivers agreement. I now carry a copy of it with me. TRANSLATED! jbay

Hi all,

Just an update. I took my Florida DL (with Motorcycle Also endorsement) and my international DL to translation place ... explained 'thoroughly' that 'motorcycle' in USA meant big bikes ... showed pics of my Triumph TT600 and my custom chopper ... finally got a proper translation. Went to DL office ... no problem at all ... 135.000 VND and my translation paperwork ... A2 / B2 in 7 days !! Expires when my USA expires (Oct 2016) since I have a 5 year VISA exemption in my passport. Special thanks to Big-Tex for the assist and information :)

Ive read this entire thread but still not sure of certain aspects as they may apply to me.

On 15 Oct im a tourist on a 3-month visa.
I want to take my VN motorbike licence
I have my US car/bike licence with me, expiring 2016

1) Am i good to apply to the licence or is something missing?

2) There is an online service referred to here, does anyone know about this fellow who offers to get the licence prior to arrival? If I am able to gain a licence by any means it would be great to have it sooner than later as Im only in Saigon about 27 days on this first trip and would hate to spend it walking. And previously, Jaitch conflicted with the VIET GUIDE here which said TOURISTS are not allowed licences so i dont even know if im eligible or the laws have changed, etc.
http://eslvietnamzone.com/motorbike-dri … e-vietnam/

giay phep lai oto co thoi han den tuoi nghi huu
If you have a motorcycle license, international or from your country you can ride big bikes in Vietnam.
Its official now.
no more bull s**t

jbay1943 wrote:

giay phep lai oto co thoi han den tuoi nghi huu
If you have a motorcycle license, international or from your country you can ride big bikes in Vietnam.
Its official not.
no more bull s**t

B1 driving license is valid until retirement
Instead of 10 years worth today, is from 1/12 this year, driving license B1 class cars will give drivers with a deadline approaching retirement age.
Driver license renewal period shortened to 5 days / Meet troublesome when the license change, people texting Minister Transport Minister Dinh La Thang has signed, issued Circular 48, amending and supplementing some articles of Circular No. 46 on provisions for training, testing, driving license (GPLX) motor sets, which amended a series of articles relating to the grant deadline, GPLX foreigners, verify the information and renew the driver's license.
gt1-1348829814-480x0-4581-1414460850.jpg
Grade B1 driving license (passenger cars up to 9 seats, 3.5 ton trucks under the transportation business) will be valid until retirement age, with 60-year-old male and female is 55 years. Photo: NH

Specifically, under this revised circular is rated B1 driving license (passenger cars up to 9 seats, 3.5 ton trucks under the transportation business) for the motorists for up to 55 years old enough for women and to 60 years for men; in case the driver over 45 years for women and 50 years for men, the driver's license being granted have a term of 10 years from the grant date. As at present, this type of driving license only valid value 10 years from the date of issuance.

Also GPLX type A1, A2, A3 indefinite. GPLX Class A4, B2 has a term of 10 years from the date of issuance. GPLX grade of C, D, E, FB2, FC, FD, FE has a term of 5 years from the date of issuance (the same as the old circular).

Revised Circular also provides that foreigners or Vietnam who reside overseas demand to drive in Vietnam, n I f there GPLX national procedures must be changed to correspond GPLX of Vietnam; if international GPLX by the competent authorities of the States Parties to the Convention on Road Traffic 1968 level, and duration of use of the vehicles drove regulations stated in GPLX that are not translated into Vietnamese GPLX South.

In case of GPLX treaties to which Vietnam is a contracting party shall apply the provisions of that treaty.

Related to verify GPLX content, new circular issued regulations clearly verification GPLX must immediately via telephone or e-mail or fax and then send a written ... And not superficial change time GPLX no more than 5 working days after receiving complete and valid dossiers as prescribed. When changing GPLX, level agency cut corners GPLX GPLX old (except for the driving license issued abroad).

This Circular takes effect on 01/12/2014.

So what happens when you turn 60?? Will we need Medical Cert as in other countries, ( not until 75 , I think,  in NZ )

Saigon Visitor wrote:

Hi all,

Just an update. I took my Florida DL (with Motorcycle Also endorsement) and my international DL to translation place ... explained 'thoroughly' that 'motorcycle' in USA meant big bikes ... showed pics of my Triumph TT600 and my custom chopper ... finally got a proper translation. Went to DL office ... no problem at all ... 135.000 VND and my translation paperwork ... A2 / B2 in 7 days !! Expires when my USA expires (Oct 2016) since I have a 5 year VISA exemption in my passport. Special thanks to Big-Tex for the assist and information :)

You are welcome...

I had been driving car and riding motorbike in Vietnam for quite some time now but without any Vietnam licence.  So far I had been lucky and had not been stopped by the CS.  For car driving, I realized that as long as you drive slowly (don't rush and never mind about being a road hog), getting into the correct lane (especially at road junctions - take the second lane from the left is safest) and signal whenever you turn (whether it is a bend or junction or changing lane), then 99% of the time you are OK.  For motorbike riding, signal whenever you turn (whether it is a bend or junction or changing lane), riding in the motorbike lane (not the car lane), and not ride against the traffic direction is important.  Previously riding against traffic direction was sort of tolerated, but the CS has now enforcing this seriously.  Using a simple motorbike like the HONDA DREAM rather than the new fancy colorful motorbikes and scooters gets you less likely to be stopped by the CS.

After saying all this, my luck may run out and I may be stopped by the CS.  Therefore, it is time that I should get myself the Car and Motorbike Licence in Vietnam.  Does anyone has a reliable contact that can do this (getting a car and motorbike licence) for a reasonable fee?

Do it yourself....is easy enough as I've explained how before

Hi there,i read  all the information about processing of a International driver license.My problem is,i dont have a driver licence from my country its because i loosed it there.Now,here in vietnam this kind of problem of mine,still can i have it here?Are they consider if i dont have my driver license?

Good luck, from what I inderstand you will have to take drivers classes for car and big bike, I believe, if you don't have license from home.....

I think, not 100% sure, but I do know it will be very troublesome without DL from home

Hey buddy

I'm from Australia 2 months ago I got my license converted to Vietnam license (Australia license I had car and motorbike), you will not need to do any sort of test if you have an international car license and motorbike license, as I got my Vn license 2 months ago at "long xuyen" it just took 6 days. Coat only 140,000 dong

Look again....the OP doesn't have ANY license

On a side note,there was an article in the VN papers last week about the government letting international licenses being used in Viet Nam.

@colinoscapee

I wonder if this use of international licences is something to do with ASEAN agreements as Laos is now doing the same.