How easy is it to steal a bike in Vietnam?? Too easy.

Have a look at this video-
thief

I've never seen it happen in actuality.
And now I see that the bike is inside private property,he unlocks it so quickly and drives away.
What is the tool he's using?
I thought they used a screwdriver,but not only does he unlock the mechanism,he also has no problem starting the bike.

jimbream wrote:

Have a look at this video-
thief

I've never seen it happen in actuality.
And now I see that the bike is inside private property,he unlocks it so quickly and drives away.
What is the tool he's using?
I thought they used a screwdriver,but not only does he unlock the mechanism,he also has no problem starting the bike.

It looks like he's using a key or something, it's an old bike, so the key barrel is probably worn, ( or Chinese ).

I have sometimes the feeling, they learn it  at school.

Maybe that is multiple key.

My bike key could be used for honda key too. I tried it once and got surprised.  Then I  have to make special keys.

But I still worry if they will steal my bike by using truck ( carrying the bike on the truck).

That thief was lucky, the owner of that bike is only a girl. Let's imagine  that the owner is a muscle guy.
That maybe the last time he want to burgle :D

Some tools they use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3B_d-3EaxMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og5SSnyHkk4

2 second for an Air Blade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW7QHSVFtrQ

wiseconcetti wrote:

That thief was lucky, the owner of that bike is only a girl. Let's imagine  that the owner is a muscle guy.
That maybe the last time he want to burgle :D

He would have know it wasn't a "  muscle guy's " bike, it wasn't an automatic scooter.

Good vids.

Honda dealers have master key sets, available also where criminals shop, and are very popular. A few attempts with the master key set and they are on their way. Kymco and a few other machines have no master key instead they take your serial number, after verifying ownership, and cut one using their computerised key cutter.

Whenever I fly out of town I always thread a Western-style motorcycle anti-theft cable through my wheels and around the foot platform. If you are on the street parking over a manhole is good since you can thread the cable through the man-hole cover lifting grip. Our new HCM office/workshops have thick loops in each parking spot.

A decent Inox/stainless steel chain also works effectively. You can use plastic tubing to cover the chain if you need to protect the m/cyles finish.

You can also use other devices to immobilise your wheels. Using a remote control alarm kit, you can wire the 'motor stop' function to control your ignition system  or starter motor (activation allows the motor to start). USD$7 will get you a device that does the same, only it is triggered 'on' by touching a screw or other low profile metallic object the driver can access discretely.

Motorcycles from Da Nang through Vinh are particularly at risk as they are stolen, driven across the Laos border and sold for cash.

I use a disc lock on  my bikes - requires disk break. This most likely can be broken is well, but at least slows the process of stealing drastically down. If not removed, it will jam the front wheel/break it, making an escape with the bike like in the clip of the OP impossible

I used to think riding an old clunker would be a deterrent to it being stolen, but my friend bought an old cub, and had it stolen the next night, ( I knew cubs were popular, but not that much? ), I first suspected the " dealer ' shop, where she had bought it, then she told me she left it outside her gate, that NIGHT, NEXT to a coffee shop???? ( she couldn't get in her gateway because of all the other m/b's ).

l3ully wrote:

I use a disc lock on  my bikes - requires disk break. This most likely can be broken is well, but at least slows the process of stealing drastically down. If not removed, it will jam the front wheel/break it, making an escape with the bike like in the clip of the OP impossible

If you can't find disk break locks you can use padlocks with long hasps that work well.

There are also U-Locks that go around the tires/wheels - some even have alarms, too. Not even parking lot attendants will mess with those because of the noise.