Cost of transporting a dog with Air Mauritius from Mauritius to UK?

Air Mauritius allow a dog to be carried in the aircraft hold (as checked baggage or cargo) subject to fulfilling all the special conditions. Does anyone know how much this would cost from Mauritius to UK or Australia? As well as what other costs need to be considered? We just need to know this before we commit to taking a rescue dog we met today. We've heard this option is much cheaper than doing it through another airline.

We've also allocated 2000 MUR a month for dog costs on average. Do you think that's enough?

Aw poor dog. He won't like that!

Well he may not have to do it. We just wanted to check costs before we committed to taking a rescue dog who was a stray in a bad condition. Our permit in Mauritius is for three years but we may decide to stay on. A 12 hour journey on a plane once in his life is better than letting him stay in the state he was in as a stray. He moved in with us yesterday!

Hi,
I brought my 2 dogs from the UK to Mauritius and they coped well with the 12 hour journey, they sleep most of the time according to vets, the lull of the engines and the dark makes them relax and sleep.
We have since adopted 2 street dogs and they also will return with us when we go back to the UK when our contract is up.
I have no worries about them doing the journey, they are safe and warm in their crates and when they land in the UK there is no quarantine as Mauritius is a Rabies free Island so straight home with us :)

I have flown a few dogs over to new homes for friends and all have flown very well and settled into their new homes beautifully although they are fascinated by the snow at the moment.

I would allow about one thousand pounds total to get a dog back to the UK, this includes the £349.00 that James Cargo charge for offloading your dog from the aircraft and delivering to Gatwick Animal centre.

Some people fly their dogs to Germany on Condor as costs are a quarter of the above, and then they make their way back to the UK by Ferry or Train or Air I believe, I do not know how to do this, but can put you in touch with someone who has done this.

At the moment it seems only BA is taking animals into the UK from here, not sure if Air Mau has resumed carrying animals yet, have sent an email asking them to clarify.

Rs2000 a month is more than enough to keep a dog, Mauritian dogs tend to be almost trouble free, strong, loving and healthy when living in a family home.

But I would get your dog vaccinated once a year and also get a microchip done, keep up with the yearly vaccinations, so that you are ready for the rabies jab when you go back to the UK - Rabies jab - then 22 days later dog can fly.

Good luck and I am sure your doggy is very special to you :)

Hi
I cannot really give any advise on transporting a dog from Mauritius to UK but last year I brought my car from Mauritius to Ireland. As from what I have heard the UK seems to be as strict as Ireland.
So the dog needs to be microchipped before being vaccined against rabies.
1 or 2 days before departure you have to have all the documents signed in Reduit by the Ministry of Agriculture
As animals need to be flown in the cargo hold when going to UK or Ireland, you need to have an airway bill and need to check if you need a forwarder to do the necessary.
To make it easier for my cat I brought her to Germany with Condor (in the cabin), stayed overnight in Frankfurt and then gave her to PetAir to book her into a Lufthansa flight to Dublin

Best regards,

Regina

Hi,

I am hoping to bring my cat to Mauritius. I am in the USA now and will be taking her to the UK at the end of May.
I have applied for the Permit and they say they will send the Forms when they approve the Entry permit. Does it still take 3 months.   The Cat is all up to date with vaccinations etc and they are pretty strict here about forms exams for flying her to the UK. Sadly we booked BA before we knew we would have to go through Air Cargo which is horrendously expensive.  Twice the price of bringing her from  Portugal to here.

However I wondered if you had had a reply from Ari Mauritius regards them transporting pets.

Also the cat only eats dry food and I doubt Mauritius is going to let us bring some in, so I was wondering if you could tell me what Makes of Dry Cat Food are available in Mauritius so I could try and get them here and start the cahge od diet.

Many thanks

Veronica

Mimi11 wrote:

1 or 2 days before departure you have to have all the documents signed in Reduit by the Ministry of Agriculture

Can anybody confirm if this procedure is mandatory also for pets (cats) that come from Europe, are vaccinated and all, stayed in MU for less than 1 year and now are about to move back to Europe? If Reduit still has to make papers for them, which papers? Does anybody have a link with this particular info?
This comes as news to me, nowhere else before I read about this, all I knew was that their rabies vaccine must be valid (it's good until 2017), they must be microchipped and must have a valid European passport.

thank you in advance for your help.

Hi
I am a travel consultant and the best way to answer your questions on freight is to contact Air  Mauritius , they have an office in London.  With regards to cost of quarantine in Mauritius email the Min. of Agriculture and Veterinary.
Regards

Rosiewestie wrote:

Hi,
I brought my 2 dogs from the UK to Mauritius and they coped well with the 12 hour journey, they sleep most of the time according to vets, the lull of the engines and the dark makes them relax and sleep.
We have since adopted 2 street dogs and they also will return with us when we go back to the UK when our contract is up.
I have no worries about them doing the journey, they are safe and warm in their crates and when they land in the UK there is no quarantine as Mauritius is a Rabies free Island so straight home with us :)

I have flown a few dogs over to new homes for friends and all have flown very well and settled into their new homes beautifully although they are fascinated by the snow at the moment.

I would allow about one thousand pounds total to get a dog back to the UK, this includes the £349.00 that James Cargo charge for offloading your dog from the aircraft and delivering to Gatwick Animal centre.

Some people fly their dogs to Germany on Condor as costs are a quarter of the above, and then they make their way back to the UK by Ferry or Train or Air I believe, I do not know how to do this, but can put you in touch with someone who has done this.

At the moment it seems only BA is taking animals into the UK from here, not sure if Air Mau has resumed carrying animals yet, have sent an email asking them to clarify.

Rs2000 a month is more than enough to keep a dog, Mauritian dogs tend to be almost trouble free, strong, loving and healthy when living in a family home.

But I would get your dog vaccinated once a year and also get a microchip done, keep up with the yearly vaccinations, so that you are ready for the rabies jab when you go back to the UK - Rabies jab - then 22 days later dog can fly.

Good luck and I am sure your doggy is very special to you :)

Hi there

My husband and I are currently in Mauritus and have fallen head over heels for a beautiful little street dog puppy about 12 - 16 weeks old I reckon.

How simple / what procedures would we need to go through to get her back to the UK to us?

I am happy to pay a foster family to have her for a few months whilst she has her jabs, etc and then come back and pick her up to fly her home.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Emily

I have found a dog (well a few actually) that Im thinking of rescuing.. she has puppies and a 'husband'..and there is another bitch who is starving that id like to rescue..
Could you find out the cost of the German option- obviously with a few dogs, its going to be very expensive for me..