Visa Requirements for Namibia

Hello future Namibian Expatriates,

I am posting this in response to many emails I have received directly into my email. I appreciate your questions and hope that this information is useful for those of you trying to choose your next adventure.

Namibia is a prosperous country in southern Africa. The country is rich in mines diamonds, lead, zinc, uranium and other precious materials. With Angola, Botswana, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe as neighbors, Namibia has become a magnet for Africans and non-Africans seeking to live and work in the country.

Visitors to Namibia must enter the country through one of its 27 border posts and ports of entry. In addition, all visitors are required to have a valid travel documents and a visa. However, citizens from the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and at least 39 other countries may enter without a visa as long as they have a valid passport.(Visa free here means you get a visa on arrival in most cases for upto 90 days).

Permits:
Once in Namibia, a visitor may extend her stay but must obtain permission from the Directorate of Immigration, Alien Control and Citizenship, to do so. A permit can be granted for temporary residence if one is an investor, a student or working for a short period of time in the country. Permanent residence permits are also available to the spouse, dependent child or parent of a person with permanent residency status.

Citizenship by Marriage
An individual can become a Namibian citizen by marriage if he marries a Namibian in good faith. The law was changed a few years ago and now you have to be married for ten years to apply for citizenship on basis of marriage.

Citizenship by Descent
Chapter 2 of the Namibian Constitution grants citizenship to individuals born to parents who are Namibian citizens or would qualify as Namibian citizens.

Citizenship by Naturalization
Any individual legally living in Namibia for at least five years can apply for citizenship. She will receive citizenship if her application is accepted and she passes certain health, morality and security requirements as dictated by the government. (It seems this might have changed to 10 years).

Citizenship by Registration
Namibia became an independent nation March 21, 1990. Citizenship by registration was open to those individuals who were residents at the time of independence, have lived in the country for a minimum of five years, are currently living in Namibia and renounced any other possible citizenship. This citizenship method was available only during the 12 months after Namibian independence and thus can no longer be used.

Cautionary Note: Laws are changed periodically so before you make your final arrangements to travel to Namibia please google the official government website for the latest information that applies to you specifically.

Please note that this is not offered as legal advice, it is purely informational and available on the Internet. I recommend that one approaches the Namibian Embassy if there is one near you or call.

Welcome to Namibia

Z

Thanks for sharing zenani ;)

Armand

My pleasure

Hello everybody

ilano-zack wrote:

Hello everybody

Welcome to EB. 

You have posted on a really old thread.
Perhaps start a new post and give us a little information about yourself

please how can i get a response for my post..AK

Hi Zenani
Thanks for the reply to all of us. I will be retiring in a few months and want to immigrate permanently to Namibia, will it be possible and what is needed. My son is currently flying in Swakopmund that is the main reason for our request.We are SA citizens.

Bossie

Hello Boshoff,

Kindly note that this thread has been inactive for quite a bit (2014). i would suggest that you post a new thread with your relevant questions pertaining to your situation in the :

> Information on visas in Namibia

You might as well browse the section first to see if there is no similar case that have been answered already.

Thank you,
Gavind.