Visa Questions

Hi,

I am from India. I got my professional card granted to me. I applied for long term Schengen visa for myself, my wife and 2 kids. Visa is granted but with a lot of conservatism.

a. First of all itt is not a Schengen visa (it is applicable only for Belgium) which means I cannot travel to neighboring countries to meet potential clients, hence makes it difficult to setup business in Brussels.
b. Secondly my family's visa is only for 180 days (my visa for 365 days). It creates uncertainty about my daughter's education and their stay with me.

Can anyone help with following questions:

a. After 6 months can my family get visa extension from Brussels only or will we have to come back to India?
b. Will my family get visa only for 6 months every time and we will have to get it again every 6 months?
c. Can we apply for Schengen visa in Brussels and get that?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Varun

Do not worry at all..

I assume your and your family's visas say type "D". If yes, you just got the visas as it is issued to any long term applicants.

Once you reach Belgium (and establish a residence, etc), you have to report to the local town hall and apply for the residence permit (1 year card) for you and the family. Once you get the card, it overrides the visa. (For D type, the visa is practically for entering to Belgium. Once you have the RP, forget that visa page completely :) ). For any further travel, RP is the travel document. Having that said, your visa is of use, if you have some travel during the period you wait for the RP to be delivered.). The Residence Permit (RP), during its validity period, allows you to travel anywhere in EU freely (and for leaving/entering schengen to/from outside).  For foreigners (non-EU), RP is renewed every year. You go to the local town hall a month or so before expiry of the current RP and start the renewal process (you have to show you are still earning, etc. - for salaried ppl, you show salary slips, etc for self employed - the tax returns, you are subscribed to a health insurance, you have an apartment rental contract, etc.etc..). After 5 renewals (or 5 years of continuous stay and consistent tax/social security contribution), you are eligible to apply for a 5-year residence permit (valid for living here for next 5 years with no renewals or so.. ppl call it PR=permanent residence), which is issued on discretion of the external ministry.

Hope this helps.

I assume you had questions earlier this year and we discussed some stuff.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions..

And welcome to Belgium..

Regards
Aneesh

Thanks Aneesh, yes our visa type is D. Thanks for providing information on PR card. I will keep in touch with you and hope to meet you as well in coming weeks.