KL Visit in November - Seeking Opportunities

Dear all,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia.

I'm a finance professional seeking opportunities in Malaysia and Singapore and will be in Kuala Lumpur from 15/11/14 - 19/11/14 then fly to Singapore from 19/11/14 - 21/11/14.  Whilst I've organised a few meetings with recruiters already, there's no better than hitting the ground running with the friendly locals.

If anyone would like to know more about me and my background please let me know or someone who can assist in my plight to find work in KL or Singapore, please let me know.  I'm keen to hear from you.

Happy to shout you a coffee to discuss your experience in moving to the region and get appropriate advise.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Demiri75

Finance is a closed shop to most foreigners in Malaysia with only a few very senior posts going to outsiders. There are wealth mangements companies that are often hiring. But the Government here is changing the environment to a regulated one and already lots of requirements for qualifications and professional development. The industry has changed completely over the last year. Singpapore is more strict but a similar situation. Networking is about the only way to succeed and by speaking world languages that are in demand. Its the monsoon season so pack an umbrella.

Gravitas wrote:

Finance is a closed shop to most foreigners in Malaysia with only a few very senior posts going to outsiders. There are wealth mangements companies that are often hiring. But the Government here is changing the environment to a regulated one and already lots of requirements for qualifications and professional development. The industry has changed completely over the last year. Singpapore is more strict but a similar situation. Networking is about the only way to succeed and by speaking world languages that are in demand. Its the monsoon season so pack an umbrella.

Thank you for this. I'm trying to network as much as I can.

Any other recommendations?

Personally, I dont think appointments with recruiters are going to be very fruitful. They usually are just interested in CVs that match job vacancies they are trying to fill. My fear is that you will get to their offices and be asked to just hand over a CV.

You could check out some of the professional recruiters that cover both countries to see if there any concrete jobs available.

Michael Page and Robert Walters are two that are more amenable to expat applications. I guess you have seen the salary levels in Malaysia:

Kelleys Salary Guide for Malaysia

I completely agree with gravitas.

Demeri also "finance" can mean almost anything from an accountant to a quant. It helps to specify.

But generally finance is a Malaysian job. Not expat.

Agree with them. Anyway, you still may proceed as planned. No harm to try and experience yourself right? You never know, unless you try it. If not succeed then, perhaps you should try Middle East or UAE.

My background is primarily as a Financial Planning and Analysis Manager. 

I'm also heavily involved in Mergers & Acquisitions, from valuation, deal construct and execution etc..

Hi the latter is a Malaysian job only these days. There are the usual shady "financial planning for expat" outfits out there. They seem to employ young (20s) no knowledge no idea types to flog products (!). I meet enough of these idiots at expat events trying to sell me some rubbish. Some of them still need nappies! I have no idea if there are any decent ones interested im someone "older" like yourself. Maybe best bet. Although the best way is to get a job at home with a company that can send you here.

Why Malaysia? Let me guess some young lady is involved ;)

I think there is more openess and sophistication in Singapore. I would say your chances are much higher than in Malaysia. In my opinion there is reducing tolerance and acceptance of foreigners who are or want to work in Malaysia, even white collar workers. The whole thrust of the Government is to raise the income of Malaysians so the middle class grows and the country becomes self sustainable. That is why only a few occupations are now open to expats. I agree with Nemodot, why on earth would you want to live in Malaysia by choice. There are far more interesting places around the world and I am not sure you would want the change in lifestyle on a daily basis. It may seem a place to save money, but in reality its hardly likely as local salaries will be low and expenses high.

Michael Page and Robert Walters seem to have quite a lot of jobs at the moment.

Glassdoor seems a good place to look for jobs.

Be confident and optimistic, I am recently arrived in Malaysia and I found an employer, now my work permit is under processing, But I spend a bit. As long as you are here, try to meet up me. You may get assistance from me,