Best area for an expat family to live???

Haven't been on this forum for months. Lovely to see people still commenting on my question,  Well we did come to Malta in the end and 2 years later we are still here and very happy :) we choose Sliema and have stayed here, made lots of friends for myself and daughter and now have another one on the way to bring up here. Good luck to all those coming as I said in earlier posts keep an open mind but I'm sure you'll all be as happy as we are x x

Hi all

We are moving over in May 2014 and have read this forum with much interest. Still very confused where we want to reside permanently, so have taken the advice on here and have organised some short term apartment to start with. I have booked it for a month. Is that long enough or should I book it for 2 months. I am sure it will probably take us longer to find school/ work etc. according to a lot of comments on here....

thanks again for the great suggestions on here

catherine

1-2months should be more than enough just make sure you dont get caught up in the extended holiday mode - make a point of going out every day and looking at different areas - they all have something different to offer. But dont take too long a lease initially - if you can only take 3-6months - it may be a little more expensive but much rather that than find you hate the place and are stuck there for a good while.... it took us 12months to realise where we wanted to be and where we didnt want to be - it also takes a while to realise what your true needs and wants are.. so take the time use it wisely and never ever take the first property you fall in love with..some do find a good one but  have been very very lucky..   make your own judgements and dont be forced into making rash decisions.   

work on average here can take 3-6months although some have found work quicker - so come prepared and with enough cash to see you through that length of time. Dont simply rely on cvs mailed or emailed, go knocking on doors ask in bars garages cafes restaurants local knowledge is invaluable here - and that holds true of finding a good property too. dont get caught out by unscrupulous landlords - there are good ones out there. GOOD LUCK

thanks so much for the advice.

There is a lot to consider and all your advice is very much appreciated.....

thanks
catherine :)

I have been reading the replies and thank you for all the information everyone! We are a young family (17month old daughter) and we are planning a move sometime in February,  wondering when people say noisy do you mean parties etc?  I was looking in the Sliema area along tower road or Tigne Point area as it seems closest to our current lifestyle here in Vancouver.  Is there decent school,parks,daycares in this area?  We visited about 18months ago and thought the area Great however it doesnt seem like alot of people are recommending for a family?  As well it mentions alot of the other areas being safe, does this mean that the Sliema are is not that safe?  Any help would be appreciated especially in respect to parks, pools, playgrounds etc for kids

You have also posted this on another thread, I posted one response there but please try to stick to one thread for the same question. It helps us to help you :)

J Vaughn wrote on another thread and included for the continuity purposes. (I have brought this over form another thread as it is more appropriate and 'on topic' to bring this here.)

Wow, I understand there will be a culture shock but looking forward to the experience.  I am a little nervous after reading your reply, on our visit to Malta 2.5 years ago we found it quite clean and although there was some construction in the Tigne point area we found the walk form our hotel (Westin Dragonara) to Tigne point quite enjoyable noticing alot of restaurants and parks along the way.  Unfortunately we did not get to see much more of Malta as our stay was short so I don't have much to go from, Has the area changed that drastically in the last couple years?  We currently live downtown in Vancouver near the water and it is quite busy dt, however there are alot of parks, schools, and activities for children as well all within walking distance.  I guess we were hoping for something similar.  We enjoy being outside and walking for our groceries, dinner/drinks, parks etc so thought it perfect as well my wife likes to shop and we are used to a bit of a busy area.  On a different note though we do consider safety, and pollution to be a huge factor in choosing an area if you could elaborate at all I would greatly appreciate it.

It is my opinion that the environs of Valletta and Sliema itself and around St Julian's etc are amongst the most polluted, overcrowded and overdeveloped areas on Malta.
(And they used to be so good.)
Get on Google maps, go to satellite and have a look.

You wrote 'we found the walk form our hotel (Westin Dragonara) to Tigne point quite enjoyable noticing a lot of restaurants and parks along the way.'

I am also having trouble understanding what you meant by 'parks along the way'. For sure, there are plenty of restaurants many of which (illegally) encroach across the pavement, some so much so that one is forced to either walk in the road or through what has become an obstructed route through the dining area.
Have you considered the noise at night emanating from these establishments?

How so many vehicles pass their annual inspection is (not quite) beyond me as so many have such faulty exhaust systems they belch out choking smoke. (I write 'not quite' as I'm sure it often comes down to who knows who and money wink)

However, there are other areas that may well suit your requirements but I think you will have to be prepared to do a lot of research before coming over or take a risk and initially stay somewhere temporary and do it then.
Marsaskala may be what you are looking for as one can travel easily from there to markets etc. and there is a play area for children.

You do not say if you are going to be working so that may have to be included in consideration as to where you live.
Again, look on Google (Satellite) maps.

I have just read the following article so it seems that Valletta will become polluted also:

The budget measure allowing motorists to park for free in Valletta after 2pm and all day on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays came in force today.

These and other reasons are why we live on Gozo and do not go to the mainland.

Crime is relatively low in Malta. Sliema is deemed as one on the affluent areas of the Island. However, I had my car broken in to yesterday whilst parked in Sliema. Whilst in the police station,I learnt about a mugging that had happened in Sliema last week. Generally I have always felt quite safe in Sliema but now I feel a little 'edgy'.
Sliema has all the advantages and things that a family needs, but it also has all the disadvantages that come with being a busy town.

Hi Jvaughn,

We actually live in Tigne Point and we enjoy it very much. Malta is not Vancouver, but this area, being at the water's edge, is pretty clean. The shops and restaurants are all in close proximity. The pool is great in summer and the views are never boring.
If you want to know more, you can pm me anytime.

Hi JVaughn,

I myself live in Sliema just off Tower Road. I love it here but most areas are not that quiet.

The reasons can be construction noise ( there is constant building going on- when one site is finished they start the next one adjacent and this seems to accelerating), cars,buses,trucks and motorbikes, dogs persistant barking,foreign student accomodation (parties day and night in neighbouring appartments), domestic noise ( the Maltese language is very loud and in the summer windows are open so you get to know your neighbours -))) Noise from pubs and bars can also be a problem in some locations. And I mean bars that you don't even realize are there - during the day !

The parks you talk about must be Independence Gardens and the new garden/playground at Qui Si Sana near Tigne. They both have nice playgrounds attached to them.

The pollution is very high in Malta. This includes exhaust pollution,noise pollution, garbage everywhere, dog heaps on pavements and in gardens and even on the rocky beaches. Yesterday the sewage was flowing into Marsamxett harbour (probably due to the heavy rain in the last days) so the stench was bad.

But I still love to live in Sliema so you will have to get used to the lifestyle. It will probably take another 20 years for things to change for the better.

A lot will depend on your personal circumstances. Will you be working in Malta and if so where?

I saw from your profile that you are Canadian . If you also hold a Maltese/EU passport it will make things easier.

Probably the biggest difference between Canada and Malta is size -))) And maybe size does matter -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Thank you for your reply, if you have some time can you answer a couple questions for me?   I have seen alot of places online for Sliema and especially Tigne Point, it seems like it may be the easiest transition for me as it seems quite modern and close to Resteraunts and Parks etc.  and the pool seemed like a great option for my family and young daughter.  I have noticed the prices were quite high compared to some areas, and most did not have a view.  Do you know if the prices quoted on the websites (re-max, Franksalt, Belair etc ) are negotiable?  We are thinking of a 6 month let in order to get a feel for the island and the area before we commit to something longer. I know in Vancouver there is some room to negotiate but not much however some 3 bedrooms I look at are roughly 2400EU which seems high for the island.  As well do you know if Tigne Point is pet friendly? we have a dog 10 years old and very quiet, however we know there may be problems in finding a spot which takes pets.  Thanks again for your reply appreciate your help

Jeff

most rents are negotiable - and for Tigne Point the prices will be high as its a recently developed area... I wouldnt think the accom at Tigne Point would be pet friendly but ( could be wrong... if you dont ask you dont get.~!!!!

Hi Jeff,

you should be able to get a two or three bedroom without seaview in the Tigne Point complex for 1300 - 1600 €/month. There is always room to negotiate, maybe not much if only for 6 months!

A friend has a two bedroom lux appartment at Portomaso with Marina view for 1600 €/month.

And they have a very well behaved and quiet dog which is normally not allowed there. So you should ask and negotiate.

I was invited to an appartment at Tigne for a party once and it was very nice and modern. Anything with a nice seaview in Sliema will cost!

If you look at other upclass appartments in Sliema you can always sign up for membership in one of the beach clubs and/or spa's if you are looking for a swimming pool. Swimming in the sea is not always possible due to waves or jellyfish and the rocky beaches around Sliema are not really good for young children.

Cheers
Ricky

Guys!
I got an issue about where to live.
I dont really wanna mess up this opened forum, but if you could please help me there would be great!

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=327583

Thanks a lot!

Hiii,,, my fiance and i are moving to malta,,,, but wanted to know if anyone could advise where to live if we wanted to be close to beach and night life but not too expensive''' around 400 to 700 euros one or two bedroom flat without taken advantage of,,,,,,,, we live in florida so sun sun sun :-) ....... also if we could know where to buy a decent car although i never drove on the right side.......
Mannnnny thanks alll ,,,and seee you in maltaaaaaa :-) :-) :-) :-)

Quote: also if we could know where to buy a decent car although i never drove on the right side.......

They drive on the left here,  ;)  well, when they're not driving in the shade.
There are few 'beaches' here too, mostly rocks though there are exceptions of course.
See Google Maps (Satellite views), zoom in and then you can spot your own areas.
Why are you coming to Malta? That could affect your choice of area.
How long do you intend to stay?
If it's just a holiday then check out the numerous holiday blogs and sites.

there really is no such thing as a best area to live in as we are all different and have different needs wants and expectations./... best bet is not to commit to anything long term until you have been here, lived here for at least a year... give your self time to explore and query everything and everywhere

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Hi Lindsay glad you liked Malta - you should try Mellieha its a lovely very child friendly and safe village to live in - we have been here three years having moved to malta in 2008 with three suitcases and a one way ticket.

Hi there, are you still there?  Is there sports or clubs for kids to play?

kpearson wrote:
toonarmy9752 wrote:

Hi Lindsay glad you liked Malta - you should try Mellieha its a lovely very child friendly and safe village to live in - we have been here three years having moved to malta in 2008 with three suitcases and a one way ticket.

Hi there, are you still there?  Is there sports or clubs for kids to play?

yes we are still here - probably for the next few years but then we will ship out - there is massive sports club here in the village and there a lots of little parks plus a family park

Ok great, what sports teams can the kids play on there?  Soccer, gymnastics ect?

its a sports centre so am guessing all sorts of sports

Since we are also looking at moving to malta, this thread has been very informative. I was looking at Mellieha. And it seems that it may be a good family spot. We love SMALL. Our current village is about 600 people so Mellieha is a little bigger but thats ok. Most of the jobs I have looked at seem to be centered around Sliema. But this is only a 30 min drive according to Google Maps, so very short distance to work. However, being that (again, according to Google) it is only about an hour across Malta, we could live almost anywhere and it doesn't really matter where work is.

From my past experience, although short (2 months only), driving in Malta has nothing to do with Google estimations.
Due to bad roads, lots of roundabouts, and quite a lot of traffic, it is almost impossible to predict when you'll be at work.
For this reason, I choose to live my next 6 months at walking distance from where I wanna to go every day.
Moving to such a sunny place and having to live the same stress as in Brussels (Belgium) was a no go for me.

The north of the island is quite nice for sure, but if you have to drive to Sliema...it will make your life pretty much the same as living in a big city: traffic jams, stress, ...

JustMyTwoCents  :cool:

I agree with the above, wait till you get here and then experience real travel times. Even short distances can take some time...................except on Gozo of course!  ;)

Hiya just wondered what you think of Marsaskala as a place to live? We want somewhere quiet and like the South. Property seems cheaper to rent there as well.

You can guess why property is cheaper in the south !

If you know the south and that is what you want ! Great ...

Cheers
Ricky

Marsaskala was our alternative option, until we stayed there for several weeks.
Settled on Gozo and have no regrets and far better value for money than anywhere on Malta.
It is also far quieter, laid back and friendly. Bus service is reliable too.
We only go to mainland to the airport when we have to.
Any questions feel free to PM me.

Ricky & Redmik

Could I ask what is wrong with Marsascala? Genuine question as we are actually considering buying a place there. Thank you.

What's wrong with Marsaskala? It's a personal thing but then we wouldn't live anywhere on Malta now, too over developed, noisy, dirty etc. It's been ruined.  :nothappy:
Buying? I urge you to reconsider unless you have money enough to tie up for years and are prepared to accept that you may never sell your property. Malta & Gozo are a renters market. I think you will find virtually everyone here would agree with that.

Thank you, Redmik.
I think renting or buying is a personal choice however. We just got to the stage where we want our own place as I am tired of renting which I have been doing for most of my life.

Tinna9 wrote:

Thank you, Redmik.
I think renting or buying is a personal choice however.

Of course it is. Good luck.

Hi Redmik,

Marsaskala is also the choice for my wife and me, and are considering options to open a bar there should our initial ideas regarding work/business not work out.

We've been to Malta twice, but didn't get chance to see Gozo. If there is one thing we want, it's the quiet life (outside of work). We loved Marsaskala, though I understand what you say regarding over-development, that is true.

How is Gozo for finding work? Or is it more for retirees? Are there opportunities there for opening any bars? (a quiet sounding place like Gozo, I would image opening a nice, relaxing chill-out bar perhaps...).

Thank you

David

David, we are early retirees so cannot advise about work etc.
What I can do is give you an opinion based upon observation and experience.
Marsaskala is rife with bars, lots of competition and is predominantly visited by Maltese as opposed to tourists, though obviously some go there. Just not so many as one would assume.
There are a few bars on Gozo owned by expats, so it's not impossible but I can't advise.
You will find a lot of competition from local family run establishments.
Best to ask a question under a new topic heading.

We live in Marsaskala, love it and won't move.  We rent in St Thomas Bay and walk to the local shops and, if we so desire, walk to the waterfront in Marsaskala for a drink or a meal, or the beach or rocks down the road or go for a walk on Munxar headland. There is always parking available although we have a garage with our apartment. We belong to the Friends of Marsaskala and are informed of events in the village. We lived in a village and couldn't live in a built-up area again

Biddy, thanks for your reply and it sounds ideal for us. We are really looking forward to the move and being able to walk around the village and park sounds great. We are renting a terraced house just behind the old Jerma Palace hotel. We have three small dogs and I'll be looking forward to walking them down to the seafront. The friends of Marsaskala  sounds a good way of getting to know people. I think St Thomas's day is beautiful and I once went to a reggae cafe in St Thomas's Do you know it? Did you bring your furniture with you when you came to Malta or did you leave it all back in the UK? That is our next dilemma! You have certainly help me make my mind up about Marsaskala  so thank you! Hope to meet up with you on one of my walks. Look out for me I will have one Chihuahua and 2 Pomeranians with me.
Lesley

We sold all our furniture in South Africa before moving knowing that we'd rent here and that most Lets are furnished. The Friends are certainly a good way to meet people here, both expats and Maltese - even the Mayor, with whom the group works on various projects. I will send you the contact numbers

Bev,

Is Qawra good for both primary and High Schools

The reason I ask is me and my girlfriend love Malta and want to move to Bugibba/Qawra. We want to move in 3-4 years time so we're researching and saving. We would love for this area to have good schools as we love this town. May I ask how old are your children and are you living in Qawra perminately? Are there good after schools activities/lots to do with the kids/kids clubs. Also how many Brit expats would you say live in Qawra/Bugibba?

Kind Regards,
Tom

Hi.  We are a family of 4 (our second little girl will be arriving in December and we hope for a late spring or autumn move from Norway to Malta).  I'm looking into nursery schools for my eldest daughter (2years old when we move) particularly Montessori or Waldorf.  Does anyone have any experience with a school of this kind in Malta?  Both my husband and I have lived (prior to having kids) in London and New York, and have a feel that although Malta may be small in size, due to is dense population can likely feel a bit like a big city at times (perhaps mostly in summer months in areas surrounding Valletta).  My husband has traveled to Malta and I will be coming in the next few weeks with our daughter and would love to find a place that is not too isolated and quiet yet has a family-oriented environment (good nursery schools, activities for the girls, and if at all possible nice green areas or beaches within a short distance).  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  My husband will be self-employed but likely will have an office in Valletta (thus would not want him commuting too long).

Hello, I would like to find a place, safe for a single person. I'm planning to rent and later to buy a 2 bedroom apartment. I don't need to live close to the city centre or the sea. Which is a nice place, city or village ( close to shops, restaurants but not too busy with tourists) Please advise which area would be the best considering Gozo as well. My friend also would consider to move (due to the violence and insecurity in South Africa). He's looking for a job lecturing in Electrical Engineering and Industrial Electronics on a college level or find a job in these fields as a consultant. He has vast experience in projects (like shopping centres, factories, apartment complexes designing and overseeing the electrical side of the projects. Please contact if anyone can give us some advice. email address [email protected]
Many thanks
Liz

Hi Liz, I would thoroughly recommend Gozo to you, I think it will meet your needs as you have described them. Any of the Villages would suite you but your choice I guess would be determined by your more detailed requirements. There is a strong community spirit on the Island irrespective of Nationality which is very supportive particularly when you are new on the Island. The choice would be where and that would take a visit I think, or lots of time on Google and Google Earth would give more info and there is also a FB Group page called GOZONE where you can ask any questions about day to day living on GOZO.