MOving to Cambodia

Hi there

My name is Shaun and I am from South Africa.

I am strongly thinking about moving to Cambodia early next year and teaching English.

I do have a bachelors degree as well as a TEFL.

I was just wondering how to get started, where to find a place to live ect...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Shaun

Hello Shaun and welcome on board Expat.com :)

Hope that members here will be able to help you out concerning how to get a job.

As for your accommodation hunt, I invite you to check out amongst the multiple rental proposals we have in our Housing in Cambodia section of the forum.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hi Shaun, accommodation you can find in all major towns from USD 200 and up, the Expat.com has some very good info but there are also estate agents on the website. Teaching English, I am not sure, it seems everybody is teaching it but the salary is rather small, some teach literately for charity. I relocated a couple of months ago from Tanzania but before I spend 10 years in SA. I started my own company now, I am a fraud investigator and provide corporate solution, and some includes training, mostly related to risk management, security and management. As my company grows, I might be able to accommodate your skills, please get in touch with me on [email protected] or Skype mmg.ea. Regards Mike

Good day Mike

Thank you for your reply.

I have sent you an email on the email address you have provided.

Look forward to hearing more about your bussiness.

Just for reference my email is [email protected]

Kind regards

@ Mike CL > Can you please register your business in the business directory here please > https://www.expat.com/en/business/asia/cambodia/

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi Shawn

As a qualified English language teacher with a degree, you stand the best chance of working for a good school with decent pay. I mean decent for Cambodia - enough to live on and enjoy yourself. Think $20+ an hour, visa and some healthcare insurance. Forget about paid holidays, flights home or housing allowance!

I'd suggest you check out schools like ACE (in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap) and Home of English in Phnom Penh. The better schools have informative websites and you can contact them by email. A decent school will help you get a work permit (different from the visa) and ensure you are fully legal.

There's also options for English Language training with training and HR companies. However, it's difficult to get work like this without already being in country and meeting people face to face.

For accommodation, I'd suggest waiting until you know where you'll be working, then searching from there. As well as the listing on this site, there's a Facebook group called Phnom Penh Housing and other websites and email groups which regularly advertise places for rent. You could also use an apartment hunter, or a real estate agent (if your budget is sufficient for the properties on their books). Your new colleagues will be able to advise you on contacts, good areas to live and what to look out for while you house hunt. For the first few weeks, you'll be best off in a nice guesthouse while you find your feet.

Good luck!

Good luck Shaun,

I'm moving to PP on November 15. I found expatblog to be extremely helpful with information, particularly regarding housing. the general consensus seems to be that you need to get face to face meetings in order to secure employment.

My original plan was to secure temporary accommodation at a guest house whilst I searched for a job then to look for more permanent accommodation once I had secured a job.

I managed to fluke it for a job in Toul Kourk that includes accommodation, so I think I've been very lucky. I'm currently a CEO of a Community NGO here in Australia and have developed a number of Community Education Programs but don't have a Teaching Degree per se. So I think I've been very lucky.

I'm very much looking forward to the move and the associated challenges and wish you luck. Let me know how you're going.

Kind regards,

Dale

you will have to do what everyone else does,move here and find out yourself
Remember the salaries are very low paid per month,teachers good school $1,300 per month
average rent,power,water,cable $300 /$700 per month

That's only $14 an hour for 23 hours a week teaching time, @Cocaine. There's better paid English teaching positions than that in Phnom Penh! Shaun, you should be looking at $20+ an hour if you have the qualifications and experience. That would be a salary of around $1800 a month before tax.

The thing that really gets teachers is the many public holidays - English language teachers get paid for contact time only, so good budgeting is a must.

I think that Siem Reap is the most place which every foreigners are enjoying working and their life. I think that you can find more about siem reap.

(Moderated: no free ads on the forum pls + register in the business directory )

If you can get more than $1,400 your a hero most teachers are paid below $1'000 per month been Their done that

ACE have a good package for teachers with a degree, TESOL and experience, which the OP has. In exchange you have to lesson plan, turn up sober, and do a good job!