Hello from Las Vegas Nevada!

My wife and I are retired and hoping to move to Brussels so that we can start to travel around Europe.

I will be living off my U.S. pension and was wondering if it is taxable in Belgium? In the U.S. it is not taxable.

Looking forward to interacting with everyone!

-Steve

Hello MaryJane, thanks for the posts!

I'm hoping we will be in Belgium in either January or February of 2015.

Hello, Were abouts in Belgium are you planning on moving to?

We're thinking Brussels, but no idea what community area.

Ah okies. Sadly I dont know much about brussels I tend to stay away. However if your ever in Gent we have a pretty big ex-pat community.

Thank you!

I'll look more closely at that area as a possible location.

Antwerp is also nice but Gent and Antwerp are Dutch speaking and you wont find any french there but lots of english were as Brussles Is Dutch French and really English

There is a big American community in Waterloo also but it would really be good to learn one of the two major national languages. If only to show a little respect for the community you choose to move into. I'm from Texas and tried to "get by" with franglish and it comes off as not quite serious and so the people I talked to tended to not take me as seriously. I got the "crazy American" look and that gets old quick. Just imparting my experience is all not being judgmental.

Hello
Actually you hit the right spot for choosing Belgium as a place to live, it's in the heart of Europe and I think it's cheaper than France, Holland and Germany in many ways, for transport and social insurance system and a lot of things, but for tax? In any of 28 European countries you will pay tax and its much higher than the US, you will receive a yearly form in the second year to pay taxes for your first year income of living. Advice: if you have any problems with weather stability forget about the hole thing.

Thanks Zipper! Good info to have, appreciate your posting!

Thanks Safihariri! That's what we were thinking centrally located so we could more easily reach more of Europe. We don't plan on working but would live off my retirement which is mostly tax free here in the U.S. But I'm still trying to determine if it is taxable in Belgium?

Thanks for your advice!

No problem! anyways i will contact the tax service for your question!
This is their website but the problem that they don't have English website fiscus.fgov.be/
And here is the government tax webite & contact information and they have english here! financien.belgium.be/nl/Contact/
I will call them now and i will let you know!

Dear Steve! I tried to call the tax service but its too much waiting. I suggest you contact them by yourself via email and via this form ccff02.minfin.fgov.be/webForm/public/fin.jsf

I hope they answer you sooner!

Hi Steve

welcome to Belgium. Hope you'll like it here!

@Zipper: LOL