Two Excellent Books on Bali

Having frequently been gob smacked by reading completely misleading and untruthful statements about Bali being presented on this forum as factual, I think it's time to recommend two excellent books about Bali where those who are truly interested in leaning about this culture, its customs and its people can confidentially rely upon.

Those two books are:

- Secrets of Bali: Fresh Light on the Morning of the World by Jonathan Copeland and Ni Wayan Murni. 

Excerpted from my review of this book published in the The Bali Times, 18 June, 2010:

Since Fred Eiseman first published what still remains the most important and definitive English language text on the essence of Bali, his brilliant work, Bali, Sekala & Niskala in 1990, there has been no other tome which has attempted to define and present the endless intricacies of Balinese culture and religion in an understandable and accurate manner.

Authors Jonathan Copeland and Ni Wayan Murni have bridged the gap between the scholarly and excessively detailed analysis presented by Eiseman and all the "fluff only" books subsequently published.

Moreover, Eiseman freely admits in his seminal work that most of what he presents is based on his own studies in Jimbaran and thusly not indicative or representational of other areas of Bali.  Copeland and Ibu Murni present a broader picture, one which is based in what can arguably be called the cultural heart of Bali, which is Ubud.

Secrets of Bali is an insightful book which touches on virtually all facets of Balinese life and religion but it is not a watered down version of Eiseman's seminal work. On the contrary, Secrets of Bali is a very easy read dealing with an almost incomprehensible and most surely confusing topic. It is well organized, carefully thought out and, most importantly, accurate. It is a must read for anyone who considers Bali as beyond the playground that is Kuta, or who comes here yearning for more than sun, fun and sex.

Every new and aspiring expat to Bali should consider Secrets of Bali as mandatory reading.  And, even those expats who have been on Bali for some time will gain a great deal from this book.

The second book which is referenced in my review of Secrets of Bali is:

Bali:  Sekala & Niskal by Fred B. Eiseman, Jr.

First published in 1990, Fred's book about Bali, the seen and unseen, remains the most comprehensive and in depth attempt to explain the intricacies of Balinese culture.  Even Balinese who read this book have commented to me that they gained some insight and knowledge from its pages. 

This is the book for the seasoned Baliphile or serious student who seeks more comprehensive and deeper analysis. 

Superbly indexed and with an excellent glossary, this book can easily serve as the perfect reference to periodically consult as the need arises.  This book is another "must have" for the library of any expat on Bali.   

"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it."

-Alan Moore

Our Mas Fred published the book ?  :cool:

happyhour wrote:

Our Mas Fred published the book ?  :cool:

I've never been to Bali, and only a few days in Lombok - so I can't say much about that region.
I believe our esteemed friend from Ubud is suggesting people read up a little on Bali before condemning the place.
As a visitor to Indonesia, I have to agree.

You know Fred, in all seriousness, your compilations and “diary” of sorts posted over the years here under the title, “Fred Went a Wandering” would make for a very interesting book in its own right.  Food for thought my friend?

Another book regarding Bali that I could suggest, but strictly for fun, is the wonderful spoof on Eat, Pray, Love co-authored and entirely illustrated by my very good friend and neighbor, David Trevelyan.  The book is titled, "The Monster That Ate Ubud" and its subtitle is “A Guide to Enlightenment For The Serious Dim Bulb.”   

I can think of one particular dim bulb who could benefit from this hilarious tale of Chuck Fung and Swami Shoeman.  ;) 

Cheers!

Are people who don't read posts with useful information going to read books with far more useful information?

:lol:  You make a heck of a good point Hailey!

Ubudian wrote:

:lol:  You make a heck of a good point Hailey!

In this case, she does - and I have absolutely no clue how to get published, even if anyone out there really wanted to read it.
I can't even get twitter followers.

Fred, you could try the e-book route first, and take it from there.

I'm not going to patronize you, but I've been following your "Fred Went a Wondering" thread since first joining this forum, and it's a treasure trove of fun, insight and information.  Of course it will take some serious editing...for example, getting rid of those phrases that only a Brit would understand,   :o   but any manuscript of any book requires professional editing.

Think about it...have you got anything "better" to do?   :/

I have a Twitter account.  I almost never use it, but it exists.  I can follow you if you're trying to collect followers, but don't expect me to read anything more than once a year.