Job Offer in Baku

I am considering taking a job based in Baku and am trying to find out what life there will be like as an expat. I currently live in the UK, but have worked as an expat before in China and Australia.

I would be travelling out there with my wife plus 2 cats (no kids)

Any information or advice is greatly received. In particular on:

Quality of accomodation and options on where to live.
Are there lots of good restaurants?
Is it a nice place to live?
What would it be like for my wife in the day whilst I am at work?
Is there a good expat network?
What would it be like for our 2 cats? Could they go outside?
Hospitals (company would pay for private medical)
Cost of living.
Availability of Western supermarket food.
Would you recommend living in Baku?

Appreciate that you might not be able to answer all the questions, but any inforamtion you can provide will be very helpful in helping us make out decision.

Hi Andy288 and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope other members will help you in your differente queries ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi dear Andy l am from Baku.Baku veru nice city but here you dont find job.Yes we have everything. but here high living lower salary)

Hi. If u r oferred well paid job in Baku , well .. Good luck ! You will surely extend your contract every time . Yes, you get everything in Baku . It's better place than Dubai , smaller than Australia and china but less crowded and most of  ppl speak English and ppl have high education . Just different culture but well  blended into western.
Just google it you will see yourself .

Hi Andy;

As general opinion,your life quality here is directly related with your salary. Baku is really good city but very expensive. You have to re-consider your budget plans accordingly.
Do not think about shopping or restaurants. You will be able to find your needs here.
Speaking English is a slight problme here. We are having some problems about the language issue. But people are very warm & friendly. City is safe and open minded for expats.
Strongly advising with a good salary.

Anyone found an apartment listing site that is usable in English?

[Moderated: post in the Housing in Baku section pls ]

Hi Andy

Baku is very nice as well as Azerbaijan itself. We have lots of bars and pubs where you can go in the evening after work.
People are very friendly and hospitable. You can find many expats from different countries. After a while you will get used to way of living in Baku. I know some foriners who has bought an appartament for themselfes and mixed with community with nabours. Finding job is a bit difficult. With cats it is more simple. You can by all the food in the nearest supermarket.