Opening a nightclub in Mauritius

Hi There,

I am after a bit of advice. I am looking into opening a nightclub/beach bar in Mauritius. I have been in the industry since young and when I visit Mauritius, I play with the idea in my mind constantly. Having recently sold some of my business in England, and with the idea of moving to Mauritius anyway, I would like something to operate for income and to keep me busy.  I would like some feedback as to wether it would be too much of a risk to start up outside of Grand Baie? And also wether there are gaps in the market for a high standard operation which I would intend it to be.

Regards

Hello

Me too are from UK. I have been in the bar/restaurant in the UK. It is great to open a similar business in Mauritius. I have study the market here and there is a market, but would not consider Grand Bay. We can discuss this further and bring our ideas together. My email [email protected] and my number are 00230 5702 6130.

Please get in touch. All the best

Rajiv Dabedeen

(Moderated: inappropriate comment)

Yes - good idea.

Can work - do it the European way.

What's the European way as compared to what we already have in Mauritius?
:/

Thank you for your replies so far. Thank you also for those who have contacted me privately.
I understand what your saying by European style and the model we take inspiration from is the Nikki Beach Clubs that provide something a bit extra. My main focus is finding the correct location at the moment, if anyone knows of any existing premesis that may wish to sell , please contact me. Regards

Bear in mind that you are subject to restrictions as regards 'purchasing of immovable properties (land and buildings).
You can purchase businesses but not the building, except under certain conditions. I'm referring to this sentence of yours: if anyone knows of any existing premesis that may wish to sell , please contact me

All the best.

If your target customers are tourists, bear in mind that most of them are stuck in Hotels and these Hotels don't
provide any facility or in my opinion good advice to party goers they just recommend not to go.
This is why the number of tourists in night clubs and bars is quite restrained.
And maybe its all for the better...

Nadeem wrote:

Bear in mind that you are subject to restrictions as regards 'purchasing of immovable properties (land and buildings).
You can purchase businesses but not the building, except under certain conditions. I'm referring to this sentence of yours: if anyone knows of any existing premesis that may wish to sell , please contact me

All the best.

Me thinks that being half-Mauritian as per his profile  ;)  the OP must have dual citizenship or may be entitled to .

Hi Guys, yes I have dual residency and have been in business in Mauritius for many years but in the development industry. My concerns in regards to tourists staying in hotels is the reason I am pushing towards Grand B, as there a higher number of self catering establishments. Having said this I am not only seeking tourism trade and am looking to provide a different standard for locals as well. The generations in Mauritius are seeking better now with the likes of OMG and Les Enfants Terribles raising the bar. But still room for big improving in my opinion.

Oh sorry I missed the dual residency part
Yes then...let's party once you open ;-)

Hi I,M ALSO IN THE ENTERTAINMENT FEILD I,M A DJ SOUND & LIGHT TECHNICIAN AND ENTERTAINMENT MANAGER FOR BEACHCOMBER HOTELS.PERSONNALLY I WOULD NOT CONSIDER GRAND BAY,CASCAVELLE,RIVIERE NOIRE, WOULD BE BETTER AS THERE ARE ONLY TWO PUBS THERE, AND YOU HAVE MANY EXPATS LIVING IN THE SURROUNDING VILLAGE,BUT IT SHOULD BE A NIGHT CLUB WITH EUROPEAN STANDARDS.ANY IF YOU NEED SOME HELP HERE IS MY EMAIL:[email protected].

(moderated: no free ad on the forum pls)

Hi etiennejm,

Could you avoid posting on caps lock please?
We're not in the night club yet. No need to shout :P

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Hi etiennejm, Many thanks for your advice, my main concern with not being located in Grand Bay is the volume and balance of locals, expats and tourists as we would require volume to fill a club of the intended size. Grand Bay although competative still attracts most of the nightlife trade. I did consider taking a different startergy and opening a place in the East (belle mare) which is where I live although a massive gamble it would be unique. The standard will be very different and the place will be a unlike anything we have already in Mauritius.

Regards

Hi, a friend of mine got a bad experience recently. I think there is no valid permit to operate night clubs in Mauritius.

Kindly ensure that you get all your permits before investing. If you need help you can contact me:

Thanks
Ashvin

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security