Travelling to Kashmir is safe for 2 women

I would like to ask if travelling to Kashmir is safe for 2 women interested in fabics. They are going to visit most famous places on fabric production and buy some fabric material. They are both very modest women and their behavior is very discreet. Could someone advise please if it is safe and perhaps what is best to visit there?

Hi agenta,

A new topic has been created as from your post on the India forum for more visibility.

Be very careful abt Kashmir, its not much safe not just for women, also for men. Also it had heavy flood in around a month back, which has destroyed a lot of basic system at Kashmir.

If you cant avoid the trip, you must make sure always be safe in all aspects:
i.e., try to choose open and big road not going in dark or narrow roads, finish up ur shopping before dark, make sure not to trust any unknown people, also if u havent book ur accommodation in 4 or 5 star hotels or international chain hotels. u be aware from domestic hotel management too, while getting guidance abt city or areas.

Hope this will help you

Nisha

The FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office ) advise against all travel to Jammu and Kashmir with the exception of (i) travel within the cities of Jammu and Srinagar, (ii) travel by air to the cities of Jammu and Srinagar, (iii) travel between these two cities on the Jammu-Srinagar national highway, and (iv) travel within the region of Ladakh. '
Please note that the tourist destinations of Phalgam, Gulmarg and Sonamarg fall within the areas to which the FCO advise against all travel.

Tropical cyclones are common, particularly off the east coast. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms and follow the advice of the local authorities, including any evacuation orders.

Kashmir is a safe place for women. We have been there in the month of April 2014. However this is not the right time due devastation caused by floods.

sweet_maddi2002 wrote:

Tropical cyclones are common, particularly off the east coast. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms and follow the advice of the local authorities, including any evacuation orders.

You must be kidding; or just have done Ctrl C + Ctrl V from some website ;)