Introduce yourself HERE!

What is your monthly budget for rental?  There are lots of rental units around however most of the better ones are already rented for this season (our condo in Cabarete is completely booked till March).  So finding one on this late date my be difficult , but not impossible.

You pay the over stay fee when you check in for you flight when you are returning to Canada.

Bob K

HI everyone, welcome to those I've not welcomed yet. I was pretty busy but will post that elsewhere.

Best bet - visit for 3 months, then decide what to do after that.  Until things really change, keep paying the overstay fine. Eventually they will make a mess of this too and change the rules, or, enforce the ones we have.

Quick reminder -this is the introduce yourself forum,  questions and discussions should move to another thread OR open a thread.  BOB - how about a north coast thread where all the north coast questions can be posted????  I will open it if  you can keep track of it......LOL

I will do the same for other areas..............

Hi Bob, our budget will be 1000$ max per month, is that reasonable ?

Thanks for the info, will check the forum for more info.

Peter is that your rent budget or everything?  Rent yes,  everything no not reasonable..

Planner north coast thread would be great.

Bob K

Yes let us know if $1000 is for everything.

Bob K

No, just for rent, what do you think would be a monthly cost of living apart from rent, not including bar hopping etc, as we are not into that so much.

At $1000 per rent you should have no problem on finding an apartment. However like I said most are already booked for this coming season.

Extra costs on a 3 month stay should run between $1 -2000 per month depending on how much you eat our, utilities not covered by rent, travel expenses and so on.

Bob K

Thanks, will keep our eyes open for a good deal. If there are any areas that are not recommended, please let me know.

It would be easier if you let us know what ones you are considering

Bob k

Ok, thanks.

You are welcome

Bob K

Hi! My name is Bob and I'm looking into retiring to DR...
LOL, feel like I just stepped into a 12 step program.. help me..

Really though, I'm entering retirement and hope for warmer climates to spend my winters, if not my entire year.
Samana looks very interesting to me.
I have started a thread for those that wish to explore with me to read.

I just wished to stop by here and say 'Hi'!

Welcome Bob!!! This forum is full of information, start reading.

And thanks for starting a thread!!!!

Welcome and good luck in your search. We are here to help

Bob K

Hi everyone, thanks for allowing me into your group. I am an American Veteran (Vietnam 70-74) gearing up to travel to the DR in Feb or March and I'm trying to find the best spot to land. I want to remain in the DR as long as possible. The U.S. is getting way to unstable.  I have considered the north shore Puerto Plata, Sosua area. I'm waiting for an answer from Caberete FB membership. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I don't need much, a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment near stores and preferably close or in a city environment. 

Thanks,
Tsani

welcome. in sosua the hotel Romanoff.  #350 -n400 per month. 1 bedroom,furnished, full kitchen, large clean pool,  includes power, wifi, cable tv.  nothing fancy but is fine for a base.  2 blocks to the beach.  can be a bit noisy as there are some locals w/kids. this is how it was a year ago. I have the ph#. pm me & will give it to you. if you spend time meeting expats, you can find other deals also.  good luck, you already have some  by locating this site.

Welcome and good luck in your venture.  Gypsy has given you a  good place to start. Once you have boots on the ground finding a place should be pretty easy. The north coast area is a good one as there is a good mix of expats (from all over the world), locals and tourists.

I see you are from Knoxville.  We just sold our condo in Maryville this past year.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums!!  read read read,  there is a lot of information on here,  let us know your questions and we do our best to answer....

Hello Everyone!!
We are Donna and Ken, and have been floating around here for the past few weeks, bugging Bob incessantly with questions!! Thanks for all the help thus far!
We are from Canada (1000 islands region of Ontario). We are husband and wife long haul truck drivers, hauling expedite, everywhere and anywhere in North America.
We have been on many vacations to the DR, North coast and Punta Cana area and fall more in love with Dr everytime we visit. Sothis past year we purchased a villa in Lomas Mironas, looking toward our retirement and being at least snowbirds. We rent it out most of the time now.Each year we will spend more time there as we plan to retire slowly over the next 5 years, when Ken will be 65. Besides trucking, Ken has been in business management, the health field (para-medic) and owned a successful restaurant. Donna has been a plant worker, and an office administrator for a large frozen food chain.
This year we will be there only 2 weeks, next year a month, the year after at least 2 months!
We have met 2 ouples from here that are now livingin the DR full time and loving it! We got together with them when we were there in May for a tequila nite...big fun!...and everyday can be cervesa day in our world lol.
Its great to find this blog, and we look forward to meeting all of you at some point in time!!

Cheers!

Donna and Ken:)

Officially welcome.  Keep asking the questions.

Let me know the next time you are in town;

Bob K

Do you know if you need a fishing licence?
My husband plans on bringing his fishing rod

Hello Everyone! My name is Mary, I am American living in Georgia. I am from Dominican decent and have lived in DR as a teenager and visit often. I have very few family left in DR as most live in the states and only go to visit. I am looking to make my move permanent but it is a big step for me.  I don't even know where to start. I have a few friends who have moved from the states and started businesses in DR and have been very successful. I unfortunately do not have a lot of capital to start big. I have to start small. I am very fluent in English and Spanish. I am an accountant in the states and wondering if my masters degree and 13 years of experience mean anything in DR?

I have been reading a few of the blogs and love how friendly everyone is, hopefully I can meet some of you in person in the very near future :)

Hi again Mary.  I got your PM before I received this post. welcome again.  PM me again & lets talk more  you will find that what you need to know is here . more later.

Welcome Mary and thanks  Donna and Ken for the insight....

Mary  your background will help you find work. First - do you have your Dominican citizenship? You will need that to get a decent job.  When are you coming and to what area?  Your accounting will be helpful to an international company - but understand your wages will not be what you expect likely.   

Being fluent will really help you!

Welcome Mary.  Yes your experience will help you on the job market but do remember salaries here are a pittance compared to the US.

I am not sure you need your citizenship as Planner said but you will need your residency and cedula.   If your parents are Dominican then Citizenship may be the way to go. If not then reseidency

Bob K

hi everyone,

im a 49 year old from Sydney Australia born in Italy.
I love the ocean and small island nations and in 2013 I landed in SDQ for my first time, stayed for a week and going by van to puerta plata stayed in sosua.
I totally loved my time there, im a single guy with no baggage and il be arriving in febuary 2015 for a 1 month trial on a one way ticket.
im semi retired now in Sydney and in july of 2015 il be turning 50 yrs of age and considering moving to either central or south America.
its a toss between DR ,CR, COLOMBIA.
it all depends on expat safety and friendly locals.
accomadation is a factor and bank issues...
one question I hear on some other websites that DR is one of the most dangerous countrys on earth is that true.
are there many youth gangs running around with weapons?

Welcome!!! No we dont have gangs roaming the streets. I am a single female, 11 years here without issue. Be smart and you are fine.

Welcome we have been her (wife and I) for almost 9 years now and have had no problems or seen any roaming gangs about.  We are out and about in town day and night and feel very comfortable.

Bob K

lived in the islands for over 30 years.  P.R., St croix & 8 years in the D.R.. compared to pr & the usvi, the D.R. is a safe haven.  it is like anywhere else in the world, flash bling, money, fancy house & car, you become a target. walk down a dark street late at night you become a target.  street sense is common sense. basic security protocols are applicable wherever you are .  never saw a gang ? guns. give us a chance to introduce you to the best place on earth:  the north shore of the D.R.. bienvenididos!

Greetings Pontello, for a minute there I thought you were talking about Brazil or South Central L.A. :D Most dangerous on Earth......Salvador, Honduras, Syria, even Caracas Venezuela, or maybe some parts of central Africa, but DR? No where near my friend. Keep a low profile, keep your bussiness and finance private, but most important of all, don't get drunk around bad company :cool: You should be fine if you follow those rules.

Bonjour bonjour!!
Desirant aussi m installer du cote de bavaro
j aurais aimer que vous me racontiez un peu comment est ce la vie las.bas!!
Merci

This is an English forum. Please repost in English.   

Bob K

Pontelo I agree with everyone here.
11-12 years coming here. 3 years living here &
I am still alive.
Not 1 problem yet.
The people are wonderful, the Ladies are especially wonderful.
The beer is always frosty.
Never snows.
Reasonable living costs.
What more could you want.

I'm Jackson and I've been living in Santo Domingo for 5 months now
With my fiance who is Dominican born and raised.
She doesn't speak English but she understands my Spanglish.
If anyone would like to talk please give me a call...I could use a buddy to hang with from time to time.
Men & women is cool.
[Moderated: For security reason avoid posting personal information on the public forum].
Jackson.

Hello I'm Jackson I moved here 5 Months  ago to be with my fiance.
It would be nice to meet English speaking people as my Spanish is terrible . My fiance understands my spanish and I'm happy of that. Maybe we all can meet for tea and chit chat.
I'm a federal employee working onboard scientists research vessels.
On medical leave at this time.
Feel free to reach. I'm so glad to have come upon this forum.

Hi I'm Jackson maybe I missed the post but how long will you be here?
I have a great place in Santo Domingo if interested I can give you details of the area.

Jackson welcome to the forum.

Please consider removing  your phone number from your post. You never want to put personal information like phone, email and such on a public forum.

I am on the north coast and don't get to SD very often so if you find yourself on the north coast drop me a note and we can meet.

In the mean time fell free to ask questions and contribute to the forums.

Again welcome.

Bob K

Welcome to the forums!   We removed your phone number as it isn't a good idea.

I just left the capital and moved to La Romana but we can chat anytime you like.  NO problem at all.

Tell us more about your life in SD....

Closed