Business opportunities

Anyone have good ideas for starting a small business around Manila?
We are located Alabang. looking at opening a Spa  - massage, nails, etc. but not sure as there seems to be one on every corner.
Budget 1.5M - 3M Php
any comments would be appreciated.

You said it...ONE ON EVERY CORNER...GOOD LUCK..

postersteve wrote:

Anyone have good ideas for starting a small business around Manila?
We are located Alabang. looking at opening a Spa  - massage, nails, etc. but not sure as there seems to be one on every corner.
Budget 1.5M - 3M Php
any comments would be appreciated.

Hi
my wife & I have been in business in Naga for 3yrs(detergent etc)
we r still surprised at the turnover of business (there one week gone the next,) we have come to the conclusion that because of the shear number of like business(eg carwash, laundry)there is little profit, and after running a carwash for a friend while she was away we really know now, be careful about spending the type of money ur talking about
Pete

You might want to ask for advice from an investor. My business partner has been a serial entrepreneur and investor for the past 30+ years. He has a lot of business ideas to share with you. He is currently building a spa in his private resort outside Metro Manila. We can meet up if you want to. Our office is in Makati.

[off topic]

foodcarts are a big business if you get the right location. I think  if you aim for things most can afford its always going to have a higher success rate.

Thanks, I guess a definite point of difference is needed. still researching this.

Love to meet up and discuss.. I am leaving for US tomorrow night but available tomorrow or in a couple of weeks time.
Let me know
Cheers,
Steve

Hi,
Thanks for the advise. I didnt think much about food cart. I guess an some kind of intersting alterantive to Potato Corner would be an idea. Would Filipinos be into tacos?
Cheers,
Steve

postersteve wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for the advise. I didnt think much about food cart. I guess an some kind of intersting alterantive to Potato Corner would be an idea. Would Filipinos be into tacos?
Cheers,
Steve

Tacos is for ABC market, its best if you put ur food cart inside the mall but not in the level of cinemas. It took me a year to recoup my capital. Check out belgian waffles, its a new craze now. Be mindful of your investment, you should save for the first 6 months overhead expenses. Goodluck!

Hey Im not in the industry of foodcarts, just something Ive been speaking about w a friend lately, their mother is having great success. The dumplings seem to be big business, Im not sure about tacos, im sure the younger generation would give it a try but you might limit your market.

Would you sell soft or crunchy shell tacos?  Do a survey if tacos would sell well.

A few things to consider:

Filipinos generally have a sweet tooth, which is why belgian waffles, ice cream, donuts, rice cakes, sweets, and pearl drinks sell well.

I think they would also want something they're familiar with. Ask ordinary Filipinos to define for you what a taco is and you'd probably get different answers or they'd say that they don't know what it is exactly.

Look at the prices of food cart items. For how much are you going to charge for your food? If they're high quality, but expensive, you'd have a limited market.

Customers of food carts want their food fast. They won't like a long wait time. Often, there's no sitting area. It's really inconvenient to stand for a long time.

It would be ideal if the food is easy to handle, that your hands won't get too messy or dirty or sticky when you handle the food, that you don't need to sit down to eat, more like food on the go.

How do you like the idea of a preschool, therapy center for kids? We are in serious needs of business partner to help us put this up all together. The place is located in Makati City.

Pete,
Thanks for the comments. I am taking time and still researching.

Thanks for your comments. I am learning a lot as I go about researching this.
Cheers,
Steve

hey
i french and i know philippines ve stay there 7  months
and i think is good idea or u can do alsoo restaurant think better if u need help and worker i m ;i ve experience like hairdresser,and alsoo in restaurant like cooker, waiter,barman
and can work in phil i m married there with filipina
best regard

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Register your activity in the Business consultants in Manila Directory.]

Hi Steve, I"m Warren, owner of S&C Trading(Seafood Supplier to Sm) located in Las Pinas near you place, I suggest be very careful in investing to a FAD business or seasonal business,you have to remember that Filipino's are great Copy cat.... If will notice, once there's a new  food business here in Manila whether it's food cart or restaurant, Filipino's will find a way to copy it.during 2000's pearl shakes appear,after a month,thousand of different shake businesses appears,then here come's burrito's and taco's,same thing after a month or two boom thousands different burrito's and taco's store appear,then french fries business,then siomai,then fruit shakes,then buko shake,then dumplings..and so on,but most of them didn't succeed.Where are they right now?
Overhead expenses are very serious issue here in our place. I suggest you go to trading business which doesn't require big capital,No big space needed, No big manpower very minimal OPEX (Overheads)
But, if your pocket is deep, might as well go to real estate business and play with the big boys..
Right now I'm doing a small scale build and selling townhouses and you know what? real estate business in the Philippines is the best. Real estate here are different from the U.S, when there's a recession the value of property are going down,but here in the Philippines,  the value of the property doesn't go down instead it's shooting up....you can ask around and do your research..There's a saying..DO NOT WORK FOR MONEY!!!LET YOUR MONEY WORK FOR YOU!!!
Cheers

For starters foreigners are only allowed to own 40 percent of a business the other 60 percent must be own by a Filipino citizen.. And advise you to be very careful as a foreigner you will definitely be scammed by city officials and unfriendly Filipinos .Good luck

Hi Warren,
Thansk for your input.
You are right about values and equity in real estate here but we are also are looking for somethng to be actively involved in,
I have been in the wholesale merchandise business for many years - specifically licensed merchandise. We have the option to offer a product line either direct from a retail site or wholesale level. The larger retail groups such as SM are supporting officially licensed product in toys and apparel (as oppossed to dodgy bootleg items that you find in the markets and small retailers). We have successfully operated this kind of business in Australia and the US for many years. What I have in mind is unique and is not being offered here so it will make sense for me to pursue this. 
I will be looking for someone to assist me to get these programs under way so if anyone out there knows someone with good commiunication skills and sales/admin experience, there will be an opportunity.

Thanks for the advise.
I have leaned about being scammed and here.. We do everything from taking a taxi to ordeing pizza through my lovely but tough Filipina wife...

you can start but i think try to makati or ortigas area! not so sure.

[Moderated: please post your jobs section pls]

Solar business is the best. i enjoy solar business. contact me via Skype ( rudvikros)

this site will help you entrepreneur.com.ph

Hello Steve,im Greek,i live in Greece,maybe Greek products like olive oil,olives,oregano etc is good idea....u can check it,,,,

I have a commercial place not too big but with ready clients! As I also am a customer of spa, salon, I am interested that someone of that business will rent from me! It is here in Quezon City, we are near Edsa and between Munoz and Balintawak LRTs'

First you have to study the place, then the competition and then your rent! You should be ready to lower price but not quality!

You have to start small 1st; I am Fil-Canadian and an accountant in Canada; that money will dwindle easy if you are not careful!

Food is a good business and you do not need to invest millions! Just find the right location, stay near that business so you really audit the progress everyday (literarly) everyday specially you are starting!

(Moderated: please post in the housing section)