Air travel from Vietnam

It's very easy to forgive, but much harder to forget, just as well, otherwise no one would learn anything?

Their loss of the Golden Goose!

Sorry for harsh words but my God, the amount of horny old suckers that get taken for a ride in Asia is really astounding. Their loss? She just got thousands of dollars from you just by feeding you lies and maybe didn't even have to sleep with you if she was lucky. Just about every thing she told you, especially the cost, is a lie. It's a win-win for her, not loss in any way. You decide to stop sending money and demand proof? She'll try to spin you with new batch of lies as long as it is possible and if she doesn't succeed: well, time to move to another old horny sucker with fat wallet ;)

Listen to the advice that someone posted: plenty of gold diggers in Florida if you are looking (and it seems you are) for sugar daddy kind of arrangements.

I think you might be surprised that your plans do not work out quite as you think they will. Being retired military your wife at death is not entitled to any of your retirement pay. If you enrolled in SBP prior to your retirement she could possibly get some. Im not sure how this SBP would be transferable ( assuming you designated a prior wife when you applied at retirement. Your correct on the SSA benefits with one caviat. You myst have been married to her at your death, and she must have resided in tge USA for at least 5 years prior to your death.
I would also note, that in case you do move to the VN, as your profile says you wish to do, this is an SSA restricted country. So prior to your moving here if you are drawing SSA you might want to pman accordingly. I failed to mention you military medical benefits fir beneficiaries will survive your death. So your wife will have TRICARE medical. I presume you know that at age 65 you must enroll and pay for Meficare Part B even when you have TRICARE.

1stewart,
Again, i read your post where the new gold digger can retire to VN after you die and live on tge $2,500 military/SSA retirement. If she teturns to VN and remains she will forever lose your SSA benefits, at the very least. If i were you i would nail down with DFAS just what you must do to get SBP for a second wife.

It appears that if you elecected to participate in SBP when you retired that you can change beneficiaries if your spouse passes on. But you must make application in order to change beneficiaries.

James, thank you for your insight. It made me laugh! Funny thing, I was laughing at myself. i will answer your post more later, but the sun light is killing me after pulling my head out of my rectum...Laughing.
Stewart

Actually No. I do not use the Survivor Benefit Plan. I have Tricare for life and my spouse will have it too.I was 23 when I retired from the _____ as a disabled veteran on the disabled list and  3 years later I was permanently retired. I have a list of disabilities that total 260 percent, however, I only get paid for 160 percent. My wife would have a substantial widows pension.

I think you have a very accurate view of benefits.… I am retired medically with 8 years of service from the military, however, I did not even count that check! Yes, you are right that check is discontinued on my death. I counted my Social Security and my 160 % veteran's permanent and total disability. Also my 160% stops on my death. And my Social Security stops and she can receive her Social Security or draw mine which ever is more. That is if she ever wants to work. But she is entitled to a widows pension at the rate of 1,200 USD. Because she was married to a qualifying veteran.  I suggest you go on line to see what a wife would receive for a person that was E-5. I think it is now about 1,200 USD and I am counting my Social Security. And you are right the law will not allow government checks to be sent to Vietnam. But the law will allow you to send that check to Japan or the Philippines. You're correct on the SS benefits with the fact of marriage to me at my death, and she must have resided in the USA for at least 5 years prior to your death. You also mention my wife would be entitled to a military ID card and be able to receive medical treatment world wide at military installations. As well as PX and commissary privileges . As well be enrolled in the DEERS military medical benefit system that pays her medical bills at 80 percent for life…  We would only have to pay 20% and TRICARE medical for her at age 65. She must enroll and pay for Medicare Part B even when we have TRICARE. Here in Florida we pay No property tax as long as we both live… Oh and my wife could attend college for 4 years and be paid 1,500 per month! I think I have something to offer. Moreover if my wife has children her children under 16 could attend college for 4 years and be paid 1,500 USD.Provided I adopt them prior to 17...

I thought you had decided the Da Lat woman was not likely to become your wife.

There are many real ladies over here who don't expect much more than a decent relationship in nice surroundings. Not everyone is a gold-digger.

I have decided the Dalat lady was not a good prospect for a wife.I have told her no records no money.
I have heard the usual excuses and alibis, but no records nevertheless i will continue not to provide money.
Oh, I am talking to other women I have talked to in the past.I have two others and it looks like neither one will work out.
That does not mean i do not like these people as human beings. I just realize they are not a wife.I think one actually loved me, but would not give up her beautiful home in Vietnam to live in the U.S. The other one has visited me two times in America. She is a international business woman and she is here now. She is one of the best mother's on earth! But she is teaching them to be dependent as opposed to independent. Moreover, She wants a fool to provide for her adult children to attend college.It was never about us, she is looking for green cards to America. Oh, while here she calls me. But made me feel she called me to be her taxi driver while she is conducting business.She provides 70,000 USD yearly to keep her children in college.

1stewart wrote:

I think you have a very accurate view of benefits.… I am retired medically with 8 years of service from the military, however, I did not even count that check! Yes, you are right that check is discontinued on my death. I counted my Social Security and my 160 % veteran's permanent and total disability. Also my 160% stops on my death. And my Social Security stops and she can receive her Social Security or draw mine which ever is more. That is if she ever wants to work. But she is entitled to a widows pension at the rate of 1,200 USD. Because she was married to a qualifying veteran.  I suggest you go on line to see what a wife would receive for a person that was E-5. I think it is now about 1,200 USD and I am counting my Social Security. And you are right the law will not allow government checks to be sent to Vietnam. But the law will allow you to send that check to Japan or the Philippines. You're correct on the SS benefits with the fact of marriage to me at my death, and she must have resided in the USA for at least 5 years prior to your death. You also mention my wife would be entitled to a military ID card and be able to receive medical treatment world wide at military installations. As well as PX and commissary privileges . As well be enrolled in the DEERS military medical benefit system that pays her medical bills at 80 percent for life…  We would only have to pay 20% and TRICARE medical for her at age 65. She must enroll and pay for Medicare Part B even when we have TRICARE. Here in Florida we pay No property tax as long as we both live… Oh and my wife could attend college for 4 years and be paid 1,500 per month! I think I have something to offer. Moreover if my wife has children her children under 16 could attend college for 4 years and be paid 1,500 USD.Provided I adopt them prior to 17...

What you say is quite true I think....as long as your speaking of an American born spouse upon your death as it pertains to SSA. You have an interesting scheme in order fro you naturalized spouse to be able to draw your SSA upon your death when she returns here. I'm sure your aware that your disability pension payable to your surviving spouse has a limitation determined by congress. Last year that limitation was a tad over $8K a year minus what she would be getting from SSA. Substantial windfall.....perhaps. I sure would not want to live on that anywhere in USA. But once you cross this bridge you will learn more about it.

1stewart wrote:

I have decided the Dalat lady was not a good prospect for a wife.I have told her no records no money.
I have heard the usual excuses and alibis, but no records nevertheless i will continue not to provide money.
Oh, I am talking to other women I have talked to in the past.I have two others and it looks like neither one will work out.
That does not mean i do not like these people as human beings. I just realize they are not a wife.I think one actually loved me, but would not give up her beautiful home in Vietnam to live in the U.S. The other one has visited me two times in America. She is a international business woman and she is here now. She is one of the best mother's on earth! But she is teaching them to be dependent as opposed to independent. Moreover, She wants a fool to provide for her adult children to attend college.It was never about us, she is looking for green cards to America. Oh, while here she calls me. But made me feel she called me to be her taxi driver while she is conducting business.She provides 70,000 USD yearly to keep her children in college.

I never meant to imply you did not have anything to offer your new bride. Heck, even the disability pay w/ the congressional cap would be a princely sum to live off if for a widowed VNese lady. Good luck.

Just thought I'd try to help you by adding a few things I've learned as I'm a veteran living in Vietnam and am married to a Vietnamese woman who is neither a citizen nor a resident of the US. All this is how it applies to me, there may be reasons that it doesn't apply to you.

If your dependents are not for some reason eligible to enroll in Tricare there is an excellent free medical insurance that they can enroll in and it's fully paid for by the VA.  It's called CHAMPVA and has world wide coverage.

After you have been married for one year your wife becomes eligible for Dependency Indemnity Compensation (DIC) from the VA.  It is currently a flat rate of $1215 a month with an additional $301 per month for dependent children.

For tax and VA purposes there is no difference between a dependent child and a dependent step-child.

You generally can receive most government payments while residing in Vietnam but you would have to personally go to either HCM or Hanoi each month to pick up the physical check and if you miss picking it up for some prescribed number of days the benefits will be cut off. Since I live in Vietnam under what is called a 5 year visa exemption (discussed at length under other topics here) rather than a resident visa I'm not considered a resident by Vietnam and I'm quite comfortable in not informing the government of my "temporary" stay in Vietnam and letting them direct deposit to my US bank just like they normally do.

I've used USAA Federal Saving Bank for my primary banking where ever I've lived for decades and have found that they're one of the very few US banks who is willing to work with you when you live outside the US. When my wallet was lost USAA sent out a replacement credit card immediately to my Vietnam address while no other bank would, not even American Express.

It's best to keep a US mailing address if you can. Many/most banks and many other companies will not only not send mail to Vietnam or ship to Vietnam but will also immediately cancel your account or refuse to do business with you if you give them a Vietnam address.

I've used the internet phone service provider Magic Jack for years to avoid a lot of hassle.  For a fairly low yearly flat rate it allows you to continue to have a US phone number to put on US paperwork and make and receive unlimited US phone calls anywhere you have a good internet connection.  Their customer service is essentially non-existent and there may be better services but it's worked well for me. Like so many things you need to sign up  while you are still in the US as they absolutely will not ship their little device to Vietnam.

Hope at least some of that helps.  Not all Vietnamese women are gold diggers but IMHO you need to live here for a while and get to know the Vietnamese in general and someone's family and environment before planning a marriage. The bonus in that strategy is that you get to enjoy living in Vietnam and be mellow during the very long wait that your fiancee/wife would have for a US resident visa.

RayG,
  Thanks for the great input. I must admit i know little about VA disability. I was under the wrong assumption that the OP was a retired vet not a disabled vet.
I fall into the same category as you it seems on SSA. However, i got nabbed by them this year and my checks were halted. Seems they have many many ways to find things out. I doubt they have a leg to stand on when we are here only in a tourist status.
I was only trying to forewarn the OP that he needs to do his homework before pulling up stakes and coming here. Likewise i think it is wise to delve into the how, who, what, when of SSA if you assume your survivor operates under the same rules they once did. I too thought that no matter who my survivor was she would have my SSA to fall back on. I doubt the scheme the OP thinks will work will fly under the new offshore banking laws. Perhaps the OP knows something more about a non-citizen being able to open a bank account in a foreign land as he said in Japan to have his SSA survivors benefits deposited.
I was not aware of the other disabled benefits you mentioned. I really should not get into VA disability discussion. Again, one could live very well here as a VNese widow on twelve hundred a month.
Could not agree w/ you more on living here and learning a bit before you marry. I could not help but notice the OP view on the treatment of his lady friends child. This is rather difficult for us Westerners to accept. Especially if the first born is a boy and venerated the way they are here. Great post. Thanks

@RayG & Vagabondone

My wife and I are retired here also with both of us having  a VEC. Were drawing retirement pay from OPM,  DFAS and SS. All the checks go directly into our B of A account in CA. The only agency with the reporting monthly requirement is SS. All of them have our address here in VN and I've never had a bit of problem. I notified B of A before we moved here about 8 years ago so they would understand why I was making so many ATM withdrawals in VN every month. As far as SS goes I'm with you Vagabondone, that's to much cash every month to risk playing games with. SS has some really strict rules on drawing it for those of us living in VN. I just play the silly game every month, don't like it but following the rules are better than the alternate, it's a long haul every month from down here in the Delta.

Budman1 wrote:

@RayG & Vagabondone

My wife and I are retired here also with both of us having  a VEC. Were drawing retirement pay from OPM,  DFAS and SS. All the checks go directly into our B of A account in CA. The only agency with the reporting monthly requirement is SS. All of them have our address here in VN and I've never had a bit of problem. I notified B of A before we moved here about 8 years ago so they would understand why I was making so many ATM withdrawals in VN every month. As far as SS goes I'm with you Vagabondone, that's to much cash every month to risk playing games with. SS has some really strict rules on drawing it for those of us living in VN. I just play the silly game every month, don't like it but following the rules are better than the alternate, it's a long haul every month from down here in the Delta.

Agree w/ you completely. I moved here from another foreign country that was not on the SSA restricted list. So SSA had no problem w/ anything. Then i move here, not knowing the in and outs of life in VN. SSA send the random verification letter to my other foreign address. Oops, i did not get it... No more checks. When i contact them they say " fill out the forms and we will drcide if you will ever get SSA again. Yourright they are the only ones that have a problem. I too am retired military and us NFCU. They treat me great as does DFAS.

Luckily perhaps my own SSA check is so small that they've never done any verification of my address which has been unchanged back in the states since I became eligible.  Maybe they do more checking when there's more than occasional beer money involved.

SSA is by far the agency with the most restrictive rules on payment of benefits.  Even though we at some point will live in the US I haven't included it in any of my financial planning for my survivors.

According to what I can determine from his posts OP is both retired and receiving (or eligible to receive) VA Disability Compensation.  I'm not military retired so I don't know how that system and it's benefits are handled or how it interacts with VA benefits. I have a friend who is both 100% combat disabled and medically retired as a military officer and I know the system is both complex and has changed over the years.  The eligibility for DIC says that if a veteran is rated by the VA as Totally Disabled for at least 10 years preceding his death the dependents qualify. (There are other ways to qualify too but not likely to be applicable to OP and his dependents.)  It's not a requirement that he actually be receiving VA Disability Comp.  He may perhaps have waived it. In the case of a wife they generally need to have been married for one year but there's no such restriction on children/step-children. There are no residence or citizenship restrictions on Disability Comp and DIC but payments cannot be sent to North Korea or Cuba.

RayG,
Yeah i too had no clue how the SSA tracks you down. Come to find out they send out random verification letters to your address if record. If you dont reply they cut you off. Thise who have set up an address in the states for SSA purposes have no problem as ling as they get notified by someone tgat verification letter came. You still must respknd to it, and not with a VNese return address.
Heck the OP is so nice he is willing to send the bride $1500 a month even if she lives in VN. Only requirement is that she marries him. Heck i will marry him for $1500 a month. How will he ever know if i love him😄😄😄 BTW As told to me by SSA tgey start sending out the tandom verification letters in the fall. If no answer by somewhere around December your checks are stopped.

RayG wrote:

I'm quite comfortable in not informing the government of my "temporary" stay in Vietnam and letting them direct deposit to my US bank just like they normally do.

It's best to keep a US mailing address if you can.

I've used the internet phone service provider Magic Jack for years to avoid a lot of hassle.  For a fairly low yearly flat rate it allows you to continue to have a US phone number to put on US paperwork and make and receive unlimited US phone calls anywhere you have a good internet connection.

I carry three passports and I'm with you, Ray. The Canadian and UK governments could care less where you are but Uncle Sam has his snout in your pants wherever you want to live

I have bank accounts in four countries, with mail boxes to match.

There is a small cloud on the horizon - there was an international 'G' meeting where they agreed to share tax/income information. VN has tax agreements with many, many countries including Australia, Canada, UK and USA. Canada and the UK don't have tax agreements as it would cost the UK too much in back benefits which would have to be paid to UK-born people in Canada (many of whom were war time transfers from the UK).

I have international SMS services, all advise voice calls it is an SMS terminal. Written communications are so much more convenient.

UK and USA government databases are linked so one screen accesses many database. Canada uses a better - different - system, all databases are isolated so RCMP can't access other non-police databases. Likewise Health Ministry workers can't access tax information.

The US sucks data from all over, automatically. They get copies of all aircraft flight manifests from Bangkok international AND US-bound flight manifests from all connecting routes.

" She wants a fool to provide for her adult children to attend college.It was never about us, "
Unfortunately you will get that with any Widow/divorcee/single mum, anywhere, it is just natural they want their off spring to be well looked after, ( even better if some one else is able to pay for them ).
You will NEVER get , ( or should expect ) a 100% commitment from  women with children,, no matter what THEY tell you .and in VN, ( most Asian and some Euro families ),  that commitment extends to other family members.

Watch out for these online dating sites, they will lie about their status, ( and of course photoshopped photo's ), my wife said she had no kids, but after a few months, and the bait was well and truly taken, she told me, but 1 daughter had already finished Uni, and the other is there next year. really good/smart kids, who are devoted to their mother and their studies..

Wow, with all your US entitlements, I'm starting to wish I married a retired US serviceman.

Jaitch,
   Do you know if SSA will send a check to a foreign bank account? I understand that since the UBS tax evasion bust of a few years back that the U.S. Has their nose it everyones business and they will find out. I know you must teport such accounts on your tax returns.
   I would not be surprised if SSA changes mant things to limit who can draw. Not that long ago if you married a foreign gal she was entitled to your SSA no matter what. They are hoping these naturalized people will head back to their mother country, thus stopping there benefits i suppose.
Bluenz is correct, the American database are now all linked. I once found the legislation thst dictated this... Scary!!

http://www.ssa.gov/deposit/foreign.htm You'll have to check with the bank and see if they have IDD agreements with the US though.

Budman,
  Thanks, great info. I had never run across that one. Did you notice the footnote? They say recipiants are redirecting their SSA deposits to countries thst have IDD. Perhaps the OP has a good point if you are able to open an account in another country. Another poster said they had several accounts in several contries so i guess you can. Me, i am happy just banking in the USA. Just want to try and avoid the monthly trip to HCM  for SSA. But i guess this has nothing to do with " arranging travel from Vietnam for ghe GF"😄

Guess we're way off topic now.   :(

US citizens and residents generally only have to report foreign bank accounts if the total value of all foreign accounts exceeeds $10,000 at some time during the calendar year.  You can register and report online here: FBAR web site  Or just Google "FBAR"

Vagabondone wrote "Just want to try and avoid the monthly trip to HCM  for SSA."

I don't see where having a bank outside the USA for DD would do a person any good in less the bank was in the same Country that they lived in. Like the retiree's in Japan. I more than anybody on this blog wish there was a LEGAL way to avoid the trip every month but there just isn't. They got you coming and going no matter how you try and beat the system. When you signed up for SS you agreed to report to them if you were outside the USA for over 6 months. Not reporting it is strike one. You could always say "Gee I forgot' if you where at that point back in the States by then. However if your now past that point and get the verification letter sent to you and you fill it out and say your still at that Stateside address and sign it. That's strike 2 and 3. The blue passport that we all have tells the whole story. Last month when my wife  and I were signing in at the Consulate I happened to notice there where almost 500 names on the sign-in roster. We all can't be wrong. I'm sure that those 500 people on the list currently are just the tip of the iceberg, the number of people drawing it are more than likely quadruple that many.

Budman1 wrote:

When you signed up for SS you agreed to report to them if you were outside the USA for over 6 months..

I'm not able to find where a US citizen who receives SSA benefits of their own other than SSI and is not working for money has any obligation to report their physical presence outside the United States as long as they maintain a US mailing address.
Can you give me a URL to that regulation please.

RayG wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

When you signed up for SS you agreed to report to them if you were outside the USA for over 6 months..

I'm not able to find where a US citizen who receives SSA benefits of their own other than SSI and is not working for money has any obligation to report their physical presence outside the United States as long as they maintain a US mailing address.
Can you give me a URL to that regulation please.

Ray here's a link with some info about it:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=313223

This is great information. We have opened an exchange of information. I have been banking with Bank of America 30 years.I see now, I can just keep my direct deposit. I own my own home and pay no property tax. So I can maintain my current address forever.That means i can maintain my direct deposits and all of my benefits are tax free. I was on Social Security Disability and I am 66 now so maybe I am on regular Social Security now, but I have never received a letter from SS informing me of the change. This year I have opened my roofing business again. I plan on taking NO money from the company, but I think I have to file a tax return this year. The money and business I am giving to my college educated sons.I will qualify this business for one year and then my sons can take their contractors examination and qualify their company. Oh, and the offer to the girlfriend of 1500 USD for support was to make sure that I did not break up a family.I would not want to take away a daughter from their mother if they have a good relationship. Ray G and the Vagabond provided fantastic information and started a great treasure of data.I do know a little about the Vietnamese. I was in Vietnam for two years. I have an American Vietnamese child that I have never met.So to compensate for my lack of support of that child, I picked one Vietnamese and set her up in business in Vinh Long.I ran TV ads to find this child on channel 18 in Saigon. At this stage of life I thought it would be nice to give something back.I am in a position that I do not have to back bite or compete for money. I am not rich by any means, but I have enough money to provide me with a good life. Oh and until I find the right woman, I will not allow a women to isolate me. I am too old to take a major fall.So I will date or communicate with 4-5 at the same time.
And sometimes I think I should just enjoy the chaise and continue the hunt...Moreover a thought about providing money to a mother in law. I say this because of my deceased wife's mother. Before I provide money to a mother in law, I want to be sure she is not a hypochondriac, I am aware of dynamics in relationships and in families. As well as addiction by medical doctors.So I guess it is as James said...I am in a Sugar Daddy role. I am older and I want a younger and beautiful wife.But actually I do not see it as I am a horny old man. I see it as a mature man wanting a intelligent woman looking for love and security. Indeed I may not have the most money but I can provide the best security, As Ray G stated that DIC for a widow is in excess of 1,200 USD as well as my Social Security is a ton of security...  And as well as Tricare for life these are my earned entitlements and not considered by me as getting over on society.

James, thank you for the kind words! I am sure you kept it politically correct…LOL… But being serious in all probability you are right. She has been feeding me shit and keeping me in the dark. I feel like a mushroom! But in defense of my actions, I have always had my doubts of her words. I am in a position to accept her account or walk off. I have demanded proof. And you are right again she is on a spin of new lies. Can you get a copy of your prescriptions from the pharmacy in Vietnam? Can you get a copy of a paid hospital bill? Your letter keeps me laughing! Just read the bottom line again…If she des not convince you of more lies she will move on to another old horny sucker with a fat wallet … Funny words! But true stuff…Well, I suppose you can not win them all. I am happy with my loss. It could have been worse. Actually it was her loss as well as mine. She lost a chance for real money and security. But in a way it was a victory for her with two years of money to lay back on! Is this a good rule never give money to the have not's? Like a bank… they only loan you money if you prove you really do not need it. That is history; I need not to trust women as much in the future. I think I will send her a copy of your words… Thank you! James, your no nonsense words have had an impact on me and the horny old sugar daddy too. It sure looked like love…a misunderstanding between two fools! LOL

Hey,

I am married and living with my Vietnamese wife here in Viet Nam. It does seem like your lady friend is using you. I have had the same experience as you in the past and got taken for a ride. Please look for a lady who doesn't ask for money up front.

You can get an 18 year old girl in Miami if you offered her the same deal, why do you want to go through all the trouble finding a girl in Vietnam?

LaxFogo wrote:

You can get an 18 year old girl in Miami if you offered her the same deal, why do you want to go through all the trouble finding a girl in Vietnam?

LOL, I like your optimism but if that was the case, he would of done that already.  :D I live here in Miami and I can assure you NO beautiful 18 yr. will marry him. A lot of the women here are very materialistic, not all but most. LOL. His age and retirement income would hardly attract any woman unless she came straight from a developing country. He just needs to be realistic about his prospects. I've seen a few, that get married to old men for short term security but leave for someone more younger, good looking, and wealthier. Do you think a 18 yr old handsome man would date/marry an old woman who is 66 yrs old (like him) that is living on a fixed income? :/    Not being mean just keeping it real. ;)

MIA2013 wrote:

His age and retirement income would hardly attract any woman unless she came straight from a developing country...

... and from countryside, chị MIA ;). And maybe a woman who is very poor, who is willing exchange her life for her family.
But the problems is, he likes to get married with a beautiful woman (who don't like?). In all his posts, he always emphasise about that... But a beautiful woman in Vietnam who can speak/chat English, I'm sure, she has many chances to love/get married with a young, handsome foreigner.

MIA2013 wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:

LOL, I like your optimism but if that was the case, he would of done that already.  :D I live here in Miami and I can assure you NO beautiful 18 yr. will marry him. A lot of the women here are very materialistic, not all but most. LOL. His age and retirement income would hardly attract any woman unless she came straight from a developing country. He just needs to be realistic about his prospects. I've seen a few, that get married to old men for short term security but leave for someone more younger, good looking, and wealthier. Do you think a 18 yr old handsome man would date/marry an old woman who is 66 yrs old (like him) that is living on a fixed income? :/    Not being mean just keeping it real. ;)

I never said she'd be a stunner, but she can definitely be decent looking. Gold diggers don't just depend on one guy usually, I would assume since I'm not an expert in this subject. I know a decent looking girl that moved to Miami and is now driving a Ferrari haha. I'm not saying that the OP can provide this same thing, but there are definitely options out there for him.

ngattt wrote:
MIA2013 wrote:

His age and retirement income would hardly attract any woman unless she came straight from a developing country...

... and from countryside, chị MIA ;). And maybe a woman who is very poor, who is willing exchange her life for her family.
But the problems is, he likes to get married with a beautiful woman (who don't like?). In all his posts, he always emphasise about that... But a beautiful woman in Vietnam who can speak/chat English, I'm sure, she has many chances to love/get married with a young, handsome foreigner.

I have yet to find a Vietnamese girl (that wasn't raised overseas) that can hold an actual conversation with me. Foreigners who come to Vietnam to get married are fulfilling a need and that is a younger decent looking companion, especially the older guys. But let's be honest, it's very hard to speak English at a conversational level unless you're fully emerged into that environment, even some VKs that wasn't born overseas can't speak proper English....my point is to find a good looking young Vietnamese girl....that speaks English at a conversational level is very very rare and trust me foreigners aren't making that a priority.

Also why would you think that a "beautiful" Vietnamese women who can speak English fluently would only go for a young and handsome foreigner?

The chances of getting married to a young, handsome, and wealthy guy wether local or foreigner aren't very high no matter who you are. Not to mention most expats would not be considered wealthy even in Vietnam standards, they definitely make much more than the average working class for sure though.

LaxFogo wrote:

Also why would you think that a "beautiful" Vietnamese women who can speak English fluently would only go for a young and handsome foreigner?

Hmmm, I didn't say "only". But generally, who don't want to get married with a young handsome man/ beautiful woman? I know a young, pretty woman, she's just broken up with a young, handsome man; she immediately has new relationship with other young, handsome man. Both of men are foreigner who lives here and can earn much money ;)!

I also saw many young girls who love old men here. But when I write above post, I only think about OP, who always like to get married with young, beautiful woman ;). Just wantted to say, these kind of women has many chances than others. Why she want to get married with a old man with fixed income, live far from her family? Except she want to go US to change her life. If so, then she will be easy to leave him soon....

LaxFogo wrote:

But let's be honest, it's very hard to speak English at a conversational level unless you're fully emerged into that environment, even some VKs that wasn't born overseas can't speak proper English

Maybe it's hard but it's not uncommon.  My ex was born in the Philippines and I had no trouble having a decent conversation with her before we came to the US.  Then after she'd been in the US just a couple of years she not only improved her grammar and vocabulary but completely lost her accent. After 13 years she was working in a professional capacity which required good written and spoken English and was working on her PhD.  My current wife is Vietnamese. She may be a special case since she was a high school English teacher who had moved up to better paying position with a large private language school here in HCM.  After two years I still have some trouble with her pronunciation of some words when there's little or no context but generally I talk with her like I would with a fellow American and understand her better than a lot of Brits and Aussies.  Don't sell your people short.

RayG wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:

But let's be honest, it's very hard to speak English at a conversational level unless you're fully emerged into that environment, even some VKs that wasn't born overseas can't speak proper English

Maybe it's hard but it's not uncommon.  My ex was born in the Philippines and I had no trouble having a decent conversation with her before we came to the US.  Then after she'd been in the US just a couple of years she not only improved her grammar and vocabulary but completely lost her accent. After 13 years she was working in a professional capacity which required good written and spoken English and was working on her PhD.  My current wife is Vietnamese. She may be a special case since she was a high school English teacher who had moved up to better paying position with a large private language school here in HCM.  After two years I still have some trouble with her pronunciation of some words when there's little or no context but generally I talk with her like I would with a fellow American and understand her better than a lot of Brits and Aussies.  Don't sell your people short.

English is one of the official languages in the Philippines, so finding a girl that have a better grasp of the English language is not uncommon in the Philippines I agree.

ngattt wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:

Hmmm, I didn't say "only". But generally, who don't want to get married with a young handsome man/ beautiful woman? I know a young, pretty woman, she's just broken up with a young, handsome man; she immediately has new relationship with other young, handsome man. Both of men are foreigner who lives here and can earn much money ;)!

I also saw many young girls who love old men here. But when I write above post, I only think about OP, who always like to get married with young, beautiful woman ;). Just wantted to say, these kind of women has many chances than others. Why she want to get married with a old man with fixed income, live far from her family? Except she want to go US to change her life. If so, then she will be easy to leave him soon....

You serious? If she had just gotten out of a relationship then immediately clinges on to another guy, she's not very good girl friend material. It's amazing for her to be able to gold dig so efficiently, so I'm happy for her.

But you have a distorted sense of reality, in which you assume that most expats make a lot of money (Not dissing expats, just making a comparison statement)....and then you went on to diss old guys saying they have fixed income while not taking into account the OP's guaranteed 2500$ a month is probably higher than what a lot of expats make here in Vietnam; being old also mean that they might have properties...and investments that if they saved and invested wisely could be 1-2mil+ by the time they're 60 ish.

Unless her husband have a decent job that makes 60k+ a year (and it also depends largely where they would be living, because 60k for example would be nothing in LA, SF, and NY), it would be hard for her to be a stay at home mom. Which mean she'd have to work, and it's hard to find a job if you're an unskilled worker barely speaking the language....so she'd have to settle for a minimum wage job and that's currently at around 7.25 an hour depending on states....and being a prideful young Vietnamese woman who wants a "better" life would not accept that. She will most likely end up doing what most Vietnamese women who immigrated do, and that's working at a nails salon. Maybe she might even be able to save up enough to buy her own nails salon one day, and even then she'd still have to personally work at the salon because the profit share alone isn't enough to live of off.

So the grass isn't always greener on the other side. If she was smart, she'd find a rich (2mil+ networth) Vietnamese local (since it's hard to find a rich expat, most are considered above average though). But why would the rich Vietnamese local want her? There's literally hundreds of thousands of girls like her in HCMC alone. And since you said the guys she's dating are young, I doubt they would want to get married anytime soon, and might leave when their contract is over and forgets all about her. Future doesn't look so bright huh?

When I go to Việt Nam I go to the cheap tickets site on the internet and buy tickets several months in advance. I book on through to Sài Gòn and don't mess with "travel companies" and the like.  I have learned to avoid American airlines if possible because I like to have a reasonable expectation of my luggage actually arriving and because Asian airline personnel act as if they want you to come back to their airline. American airline personnel would prefer to load passengers with a forklift.

Last time my Delta flight got switched twice as 2 aircraft couldn't get off the ground. As a result I went from Japan to Việt Nam on JAL instead of HKVN.  That screwed up my return because I came in on the wrong airline and I disappeared from the computers. I wasfirst told I couldn't get out. The lady at the HKVN desk said she was sure I belonged on the HKVN to Japan and she stayed on the phone and computer for over an hour before telling me she could get me to Narita but thence I was on my own. At Narita Delta told me I wasn't on their schedule and would have to buy a $4000 ticket to LA, I went to the HKVNB counter there and the lady at that desk repeated what the lady in Sài Gòn had done. After 40 minutes or so she printed me out boarding passes and said that they should work if the boarding clerk didn't look past the first screen. In effect, they were bogus. I sailed right through. I love HKVN.