Shipping laws - UK to Vietnam

Hi all

I intend to move to HCMC from the UK with a tourist visa, not a work permit, and I have been told that in order to ship into Vietnam you need to have a work permit. I have belongings that need to come with me, and this would be an issue.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Your prior information is correct - WORK/RESIDENCE VISA is required. Period.

It makes sense. As a tourist you are supposed to be visiting - not settling in.

And forget about using a friend as the documentation you use for importation (duty usually 100%) is also required IF YOU LEAVE or IF YOU EXPORT the goods.

I use Crown in VietNam for business and personal importations/exports. See: www.CrownRelo.com/en-us/country/vietnam.

Using a broker saves money - if not a large quantity, use an INDEPENDENT broker in the UK.

This topic is of interest to me, too.  My wife and I are thinking of making a long-term visit/move to Vietnam next year, and staying a few years if possible.  We live in the United States and have relatives in Vietnam whom we want to spend some time with.  We would like to ship a small amount of household goods from the US to Vietnam for us to use there during our stay, such as our espresso maker, blender, some extra clothes, etc.  Perhaps 100 lbs of goods.  So, what I'm reading here is that we would not be allowed to ship this stuff to Vietnam ahead of time or even while we're staying there.  Is this correct? 
Thanks.

@ Leo 46:
Why bring electrical when the first purchase will be a 240 >> 110 Volt transformer?

A blender? Makes me think of the miovie "Enemy of the State".

In any event your answer lies with Eva Airlines or Cathay who both allow passengers to buy a third checked luggage. Accompanied baggage attracts minimal attention from customs at the airport - although their dogs do check baggage before they go on the carousel.

I have always shed clothes over here. I have a very expensive leather dress jacket and I have only worn it a couple of times in 12 years.

VietNam has most everything you need for comfortable living, so don't bring unnecessary things!

ONE THING you can use are ADAPTERS - the double pinned to six outlet type is very useful.  Vietnamese house builders think one power outlet is sufficient!

Thank you, Jaitch.  That's useful info. 
We have a "kick-ass" blender that makes great smoothies among other things.  Less than a year old, but it looks like it will go into storage or onto eBay, along with our espresso machine and fancy coffee maker.  Oh well.

Leo 46 wrote:

Thank you, Jaitch.  That's useful info. 
We have a "kick-ass" blender that makes great smoothies among other things.  Less than a year old.

IF it is a single item where you only need a transformer for it alone, bring it.

I use locally made 120/240 auto-transformers mounted in an electrical junction box with proper connectors for a very expensive UK Kenwood kitchen system - does everything, only you need an engineering course. Total cost about $6 - but you need electrical skills.

If you have many 120V items you end up with a spaghetti-like mess of wires. My kitchen voltage converter is about 4" square and I hung in above the counter under the cupboards.

THE ADAPTER I mention above can be seen at: < http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Canadia … 1?$medium$ > which is a single plug with 3 sockets. There is a double plug (compatible with wall plates) with 6 outlets. BRING A BUNCH - the US-style flat-pin outlets here are 240 volts - so don't go burning things up!

ANOTHER thing that is useful is a gas stove igniter (spark generator). I have a high-end German gas stove and if the electricity fails (frequent) you have no form of ignition.

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory)

Fabian Intersky wrote:

Nothing is impossible !
Reliable service, competitive price
Cheers

VN LAW IS SIMPLE - TOURISTS CAN'T IMPORT HOUSEHOLD EFFECTS.

DOESN'T MATTER WHAT FREE-ADVERTISING FABIAN SAYS - CAN'T BE DONE LEGALLY.

AND YOU NEED YOUR PASSPORT AND VISA TO CLEAR CUSTOMS - WHICH WILL PUT THE LIE TO FABIAN'S PROMISE.

Thanks, but it's really not critically important to have this stuff with us over there. I thought that if it was legal and relatively easy to accomplish, we'd try to ship a few things, but apparently it is neither. No big deal.
Appreciate the advice.

Just bring essentials in as excess baggage.

Hi all

I got in touch with a door-to-door shipping company who sent me the new regulations on a PDF. In it, there was the line "work permits are required to import personal effects shipments with the exception of air shipments that are less than 300kgs gross".

Does anyone have any thoughts or information on this?

Thanks

Ben

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls)

Fabian Intersky wrote:

Hi Ben,

Cheers,

Fab

This guy is just trying to do an end round around the rules of the web site. AGAIN (see above).

I travel heavy - 3 or 4 checked bags (thank you EVA) and I have never been charged Dong 1 when flying into Ho Chi Minh.

To everyone who is interested in this, all shipping companies who I have contacted have told me that you do NOT need a work permit or visa to send goods into the country. All I need to provide is an inventory of what is in the boxes.

benjoj wrote:

To everyone who is interested in this, all shipping companies who I have contacted have told me that you do NOT need a work permit or visa to send goods into the country. All I need to provide is an inventory of what is in the boxes.

Do a deal.

Say you will pay if they are right otherwise MIEN PHI.

(Why not simply ask VN Customs - at the end of SaiGon River end HAM NGHI.)

ADDENDUM

There is a item in the Customs Regulations that permits DUTY FREE / SHORT VISA for equipment brought in for exhibitions. MAKE SURE THEY UNDERSTAND YOUR SITUATION EXACTLY.