Marriage in the Ukraine

Hi Everybody:
To start with I am a British national and my partner is a Ukraine national. I am in need of a small piece of information from anybody out there who has just recently tied the knot in the Ukraine

At the beginning January 2015 I am due to my my Ukrainian partner and as it stands, received my Certificate of Non-Impediment and together with other documents will send them to the FCO to have them apostilled. The next stage will be to have them translated and legalised into the Ukrainian language.

My question is for registration purposes in the Ukraine... Do I have to attend in person at the ZAGS office the 30 days before criteria or can my partner register for the both of us ?. Our plan (and has been organised) that we will spend Christmas and the New Year in the UK then fly to the Ukraine for the marriage in the Ukraine and stay with her family.

Has anybody been in a similar situation and travelled to the Ukraine for the purpose of marriage without travelling beforehand just to register.

Would appreciate all advice and experiences.
Thanks

Hi Teqman
First congratulations and good luck on your upcoming marriage.
I too am British and married my lovely Ukrainian wife in January 2013 in Ternopil.
We was told it would be quicker and cheaper to have the documents translated and legalised here in Ukraine, which is exactly what we did.
As for the registration the ZAGS officials do like to see both of you, as it happened I arrive in Kyiv 27 December, we traveled overnight to our home then the following day went to the registry office to register our intention to marry there we was given a choice of dates and decided to marry on 11 January 2013 which would have been my grandmothers 100th birthday, once that is done you go to see a more superior official who has to agree to the marriage there, the they send you to a nearby solicitor who copies everything including your passport, they then stamp everything and bond the papers together, then you go to the local council to register your marriage there before going to the bank to pay, then you return to the registry office. As I say this was in Ternopil, other places might be easier to deal with.
Be sure to have everything translated, the certificate, apostille, and your passport, if you get them translated here the officials just copy the details as they know the companies that do the translations. And be ready for some long waits, as a lot of people like getting married in the new year especially if there's snow everywhere.

I hope this helps.

Hello UkrAI:
Thank you for your informative reply.
It is planned that our marriage will take place in Odessa in January 2015. I am unfortunately limited for time off from my employment so this was one of the reasons why I planned to get everything officially done here...basically to save time !!!..
I have read other replies from other forum websites and it has been difficult to find an actual reply giving clarification if it can be actually done with documents officially legalised and translated here in the UK and being presented to officials in the Ukraine. If I can add that my documents (Certificate of Non-Impediment, Divorce Certificate, Birth Certificate and a copy of my passport... I think this is all that is required) being legalised by the FCO and the translation being done by the Ukranian Embassy in London.
Since Odessa is one of the larger and major cities within the Ukraine it is hoped that registration may be a different process and made more convenient and simpler and the documents being done in the UK, being presented to the registrar office in the Ukraine, maybe the day before marriage,and be just as acceptable as if all documents were done in the city of marriage
I would also like to ask you who advised that it would be quicker and cheaper..did you speak with the Ukraine Embassy in London or did you you find information from a website or forum ?..I would be interested to know !!...of course,my partner would agree with you that this process would be better that to get everything done in the Ukraine,but unfortunately time is against me and she is also has a busy calendar in the months ahead.
Regards: Teqman

Teqman wrote:

Do I have to attend in person at the ZAGS office the 30 days before criteria or can my partner register for the both of us ?
Thanks

A marriage application can be submitted by a representative but it has to be signed by you and your signature has to be notarized.

Thank you GreyKyiv for your kind reply.
Could you tell me please, when you say it can be submitted by a representative, who exactly do you mean ??...Do you mean a solicitor, neighbour or family member or somebody else?
Regards:

Teqman wrote:

Thank you GreyKyiv for your kind reply.
Could you tell me please, when you say it can be submitted by a representative, who exactly do you mean ??...Do you mean a solicitor, neighbour or family member or somebody else?
Regards:

Any person authorized by the power of attorney issued by you.

As I remember, you can fill out the application form and sign it in the UK. Your signature has to be notarized. You will also need to put an apostille on it and ship to your fiancée together with a notarized and apostilled power of attorney authorizing your fiancée (or any other named person) to go and submit the application.

But you better have your fiancee go to your ZAGS and ask there because it may vary from ZAGS to ZAGS.

Im an American and will marry a Ukrainian as well,but apparently as I understand it, if I marry her in Ukraine first then try to bring her to USA it will take about two years for approval. I dont know why,but with the fiance visa it will take about 6 months. I filed 4 months ago so soon I hope for approval and I'm going to Ukraine. We plan to come to USA in February.  At a later time we will get married in Ukraine and I will apply for Ukrainian resident status. I haven't looked into that other than what Ive read on this site. I wonder if it is difficult.

I arrived March 2014 and I was married on May 8th.  Prior to coming my wife and I looked into the requirements to get married and also to do my Visa D.  I had my documents notarized and apostle in the states.  We had them translated here.  Once we went to the marriage house we had to wait 30 days to get married.  After we got married, we went to Moldova to the Ukrainian Embassy with all of the documents we needed, plus the health insurance required (only cost 500 UAH).  We went to Moldova for my Ukrainian wife did not need a visa to go there.  It was not complicated, but I must tell you, everything has to be exact.  No shortcuts, make sure your documents are correct.  To get married here you need to go the Ukrainian Foreign Affairs office to get permission to get married.  The non-impediment form you get notarized at the American Embassy.  Just follow the rules, but most of all, make sure all of your documents are correct and your name is correct in everything, even when translated into Ukrainian.  Make sure your wife proof reads all of it.

ok, thanks! great advice. So, you are going to live in Ukraine,not USA?

I live in Kharkiv, I arrived, married my wife and stayed. (moderated: inappropriate comment)

Hi, I am from Melbourne, Australia
Got engaged and now planning on the marriage,
Now starts the fun part of finding out what I need for the Visas and what is the best way of doing it without wasting time. I want to do it properly the first time and not make any mistakes.
Any Aussies here that may be able to assist me?
Kind Regards
Sedat

Sedat.O wrote:

Hi, I am from Melbourne, Australia
Got engaged and now planning on the marriage,
Now starts the fun part of finding out what I need for the Visas and what is the best way of doing it without wasting time. I want to do it properly the first time and not make any mistakes.
Any Aussies here that may be able to assist me?
Kind Regards
Sedat

If you want to do it properly the first time then I strongly advise you to hire a lawyer.

Re visas I suggest you read this rather comprehensive information:
https://www.legal-ideas.com/post/visa-types-in-ukrainehttps://www.legal-ideas.com/post/gettin … -type-visa

Below I will past the whole procedure guideline I prepared a few years ago but since then something has changed for sure, so again - it is better to hire a lawyer:

Registration of marriages
If are going to get married to a Ukrainian woman or man, then please accept my sincere congratulation. However, please take into account that some paperwork must be done before the wedding party. In general, the process is not difficult yet problems do happen. Let me share with you the experience that I've obtained in this field not because of a number of my unsuccessful marriages (thank God) but due to my professional occupation.

The main normative act regulating marriage registration in Ukraine is the Order of the Ministry of Justice, No. 52/2 as of 18.10.2000, On Approval of the Rules of the State Registration of Acts of Civil Status in Ukraine.

The first step on the way for getting married is…yes love but speaking about formal proceedings I mean… submission of the mutual application by the fiancé and fiancée. This application is submitted to a special body of the state registration of acts of civil status. Those who are going to get married must have heard about ZAGS (in the Russian language) or RAGS (in the Ukrainian language). This ZAGS/RAGS is nothing else as this special state body. Hereinafter I will use “ZAGS” as it is more commonly used among both locals and foreigners. You can freely choose and submit the application to any ZAGS throughout Ukraine disregarding a place you and your fiancée/fiancé are registered at.

The general rule is that both of you should submit the application to ZAGS personally. However, if you or your sweetheart cannot personally submit the application, then the one who cannot do so should visit a notary office and notarize his/her signature on the application and issue a notarized power of attorney (POA) authorizing someone to submit the application on his/her behalf. Actually, not only one but both of the applicants can sign the application in a notary office and submit it through their representatives. This can be done also abroad but this variant requires legalization of the notarized signature and POA, if otherwise is not determined by law.

By submitting the application Ukrainian citizens should provide their passports. Foreigners should provide, if otherwise is not determined by law, an identification document containing a check proving their legitimate stay in Ukraine. This could be a visa, temporary or permanent residency certificate or the last stamp affixed by the customs service.

Those who have been previously married should provide a document certifying termination of that marriage. Such a document could be a certificate of marriage termination, court decision, death certificate, etc. Documents issued outside of Ukraine should be legalized if otherwise is not determined by law.

If the foreigner's identification document does not contain information about his marital status, then he should provide a document certifying that he is not married now. In case the ID contains the marital status check, the document certifying the marital status should be provided for the period from the date of that check. Such a document should be issued by a relevant body of the foreigner's country. So it is impossible to tell a foreigner where to get such a document. However, consulates often issue such documents too. As you may have guessed already, this document needs to be legalized, if otherwise is not determined by law. This document is valid for 6 months and is not returned by ZAGS.

All documents prepared in a foreign language should be translated into the Ukrainian language by a qualified translator and notarized. The translation could also be certified by a diplomatic office or consulate of Ukraine or of the foreigner's country, by a ministry of foreign affairs or another authorized body. However, it is better to translate and notarize the documents in Ukraine because in all of the other cases you will need to legalize them.

After the application and other documents are submitted, you will agree on the date of marriage registration that under the general rule cannot be sooner than in one month from the date of your application. However, having a reasonable excuse you and your soon-to-be-spouse can ask for urgent marriage registration. There is no exhaustive list of such reasonable excuses. It can be pregnancy, a business trip to another country, illness, etc. However, it is not enough to say you have a reasonable excuse. You will need to prove it. Pregnancy or illness can be proved by a health certificate, a business trip can be proved by the employer's letter, etc. A ZAGS is free to decide at its own discretion whether your excuse is reasonable enough.

Remember that marriage registration is carried out only in the personal presence of both fiancé and fiancée. This cannot be done via representatives. If the fiancé or/and fiancée cannot be personally present at the ZAGS because of a reasonable excuse, then you can ask for the ceremony to be performed outside. Requirements to the “reasonable excuse” are the same as mentioned above.

Recognition of foreign marriages
When you get married outside of Ukraine your marriage is not automatically recognized by Ukraine. To do so you have to provide ZAGS with a translated and legalized, if necessary, an official document certifying marriage registration by the relevant state.

Proof of marriage
The marriage record is entered in the passports or identification documents of the spouses. When a foreigner also has a permanent residency certificate, then the marriage record is entered in this certificate as well. When you get married in Ukraine information about your marriage is recorded into a special register. You can go to a ZAGS and get an extract from this register proving your registered marriage. However, when you get married abroad and legalize your marriage information, then your marriage is not always recorded to the register by default. To be sure your marriage is added to the register you better go to a ZAGS with your legalized marriage certificate and make sure your marriage is either already there or a ZAGS officer will add your marriage to the register. It is not obligatory to have your marriage in that register. But I would advise you have it there because in the future it may make your life easier.

A few tips
Actually, that is all.  However, having some experience in this matter I would also suggest doing the following before going to a ZAGS:
(i) make copies of all documents you need and try to get texts of those documents you do not have for now;
(ii) take all documentation and texts available and visit a consultant in a ZAGS of your choice; and
(iii) make sure that your ZAGS is happy with the documents you have or that you will obtain.

The above 3 steps will minimize your time and money expenses. I had experience when:
·        a fiancé provided his translated and legalized dissolution judgment that in fact was a kind of another judgment. So he had to get another document in court, to legalize and translate it and then urgently mail it to Ukraine.
·         ZAGS officials refused to accept the dissolution judgment because in their opinion (in fact they were wrong) the provided document was merely an application for divorce. The problem was solved simply by applying to another ZAGS.
·         a marital status certificate contained the fiancé's name in the Ukrainian language that differed from the same name in other documents provided to ZAGS. The fiancé had to translate and notarize some documents one more time to have all the documents correspond with each other.
·         a letter from the fiancé's employer was not good enough to prove the urgency of marriage registration. The fiancé had to ask his employer to issue another letter, the text of which was agreed with ZAGS, then to urgently mail it to Ukraine, translate and notarize it.
·         instead of legalizing a foreign marriage certificate, a Ukrainian consulate certified its translation into the Ukrainian language. The fiancé had to visit the Ukrainian consulate one more time to have the consulate correct its mistake.