800 omr per month without accommodation for a family of 3

Hi,

Need your help. I currently have an offer of 800 omr per month plus a variable pay of 200 omr per month payable every quarter. Is this a good salary for me and family (wife and 4 year old kid - need to seek admission in Ukg) to survive and also send home a minimum of 300 omr every month. The company is not ready for further negotiation and are promising to increase my salary after 6 months in the form of appraisal. The person in this company is also claiming that according to a new omani rule am not supposed to bring my Dependants before spending six months. Need your advice in proceeding proceeding further

Dear Friend ,

Kindly let me know about your Company name, also for which post you are being recruited .It is true that as per new regulation your family can join you only after 6 months  apart for you to be eligible for family status your basic salary should be more than OR 600/ month .

Dr.Suresh

Hi,

Though not really a terrific salary, you can still manage quite comfortably.

Don't rest your hopes too high on all these promised appraisals and hefty increments. Most companies in Oman make rosy promises that are seldom kept.

Yes, your wife and child can join you only after you complete 6 months of continuous service / employment.

Rent for a 1 BHK will be around R.O. 150/month in Muscat. Lesser outside.

Living expenses will work out to be less than R.O. 200/month for a family your size - at a  rather higher bracket. So that I guess meets with you monthly savings objective.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that a minimum of 1300 omr would be required to survive there and also send money back to my parents. This is based on my research on the net for rentals (dubbizle) and school websites.

Sumitran sir, have sent you a PM would be great if you can respond.
Peace,
Praveen

praveenk59 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that a minimum of 1300 omr would be required to survive there and also send money back to my parents. This is based on my research on the net for rentals (dubbizle) and school websites.

Sumitran sir, have sent you a PM would be great if you can respond.
Peace,
Praveen

I would not second your thought for the amount, that you have assumed for, however OMR 500(excluding OMR 300) per month (according to me) is sufficient enough for a basic level life in Muscat.

As Mr. Sumitran quoted, OMR 150 - 180 for a 1 BR apartment, OMR 200 for the household utilities, Take OMR 50 for electricity/water/gas and may be telephone bills. This would be the base cost to survive.

I don't know about the fees of indian school for KG1 (approximately OMR 30/month - Just guess), however the international schools charge around OMR 180 / OMR 200 per month for a KG1  standard child.

Trust this would clarify you further.

Am thinking of rejecting this offer as am not really convinced:

1. I have 8 years of exp; I can earn the same 800 OMR in India if I switch a job here
2. 800 OMR per month would translate to :
- 250/300 OMR for rent in AL khuwair
- 100 OMR for transportation
- 150/200 OMR for groceries - Also setting up my house (TV, Fridge bed etc)
- 150/200 - Kids School fee

I will be left with no money to save, if not send back money to India at least to survive in case of any additional expenses.

Sumitran/ Schaz please let me know if my point 2 is valid.

P.S: Am not a person who can live on compromise (Sharing a room for the first 6 months, stay away from a bi-weekly partying etc)

My salary is200 OR per month and company written in offer letter for Over time as per omani labour law bechalor sharing accommodation for company and transportation providedby company And food is my self so how much expences in muscat...

Hi
Its the basic 600 R.O will require to get family joining VISA in Oman or Gross salary 600 R.O will require to get Family VISA in Oman? Please let me know.

Thanks Nitish

in muscat you need atleast 250 OMR/month for a 1-2 bedroom house depending on the location & u need atleast 200 OMR/month for house expenses after having all the utensils,furniture etc. Please dont take anybody's word for increasing the salary get it in writing.If u tell me the company i can guide you further

praveenk59 wrote:

Am thinking of rejecting this offer as am not really convinced:

1. I have 8 years of exp; I can earn the same 800 OMR in India if I switch a job here
2. 800 OMR per month would translate to :
- 250/300 OMR for rent in AL khuwair
- 100 OMR for transportation
- 150/200 OMR for groceries - Also setting up my house (TV, Fridge bed etc)
- 150/200 - Kids School fee

I will be left with no money to save, if not send back money to India at least to survive in case of any additional expenses.

Sumitran/ Schaz please let me know if my point 2 is valid.

P.S: Am not a person who can live on compromise (Sharing a room for the first 6 months, stay away from a bi-weekly partying etc)

Praveen,
Your point is cent percent correct. I would have strongly suggested you to take the same into consideration if your company could have provided you with the accomodation / utilities. Accomodation is the major concern in a city like Muscat where the rents are unnecessarily high. Hence, please decide wisely with all calculations as I always say that, you're the best judge of your ownself.

Thanks Schaz and the others who posted. I have rejected the offer. Will keep you guys posted if I do get a job offer from another company in muscat. Take care folks.

praveenk59 wrote:

Thanks Schaz and the others who posted. I have rejected the offer. Will keep you guys posted if I do get a job offer from another company in muscat. Take care folks.

Best of luck brat !

God bless you.