Vietnam 3rd best place in Asia for expats: Survey

When did they do this survey, any member participate in it?

Thursday, October 23, 2014 14:58
Vietnam is the third best place in Asia for expats looking to improve their quality of life, with 62 percent saying they strongly associate the country with a high quality of life, according to a survey released by HSBC on Tuesday.
Around 52 percent of expats in Vietnam said they earn more than they would have at home compared with a global average of 53 percent, according to the 7th Expat Explorer survey, which polled nearly 9,300 people from over 100 countries online.
Their disposable income shoots up with lower prices for everything from transport to entertainment.
In addition, 79 percent of the expats in the country said they travel more than they did at home. A large majority of expats said they generally enjoy the local culture and Vietnam has a lot to offer the adventurous expat.
The local cuisine is another standout part of life in Vietnam, with 87 percent saying they enjoy the country's fare compared to 72 percent globally.
According to the survey, Switzerland is ranked as the number one country by expats looking for a well-balanced, high-quality lifestyle, followed by Singapore, China, Germany, and Bahrain .
A minimum sample of 100 expat respondents including at least 30 expat parents is required for a country to be included in the Expat Explorer league table. This year, 34 countries qualified for the league table.
Incomplete statistics from the labor ministry shows a total of more than 80,000 foreigners working in Vietnam as of 2013, of which more than half are in Ho Chi Minh City .
These people come from more than 60 countries, including 58 percent from Asia and 28.5 from Europe.

"  they earn more than they would have at home ", what were they doing before, washing dishes at MacDonalds ???
9300 seems to be a lot of Qualified, and well paid, full time teachers?

bluenz wrote:

When did they do this survey, any member participate in it?

Thursday, October 23, 2014 14:58
Vietnam is the third best place in Asia for expats looking to improve their quality of life, with 62 percent saying they strongly associate the country with a high quality of life, according to a survey released by HSBC on Tuesday.
Around 52 percent of expats in Vietnam said they earn more than they would have at home compared with a global average of 53 percent, according to the 7th Expat Explorer survey, which polled nearly 9,300 people from over 100 countries online.
Their disposable income shoots up with lower prices for everything from transport to entertainment.
In addition, 79 percent of the expats in the country said they travel more than they did at home. A large majority of expats said they generally enjoy the local culture and Vietnam has a lot to offer the adventurous expat.
The local cuisine is another standout part of life in Vietnam, with 87 percent saying they enjoy the country's fare compared to 72 percent globally.
According to the survey, Switzerland is ranked as the number one country by expats looking for a well-balanced, high-quality lifestyle, followed by Singapore, China, Germany, and Bahrain .
A minimum sample of 100 expat respondents including at least 30 expat parents is required for a country to be included in the Expat Explorer league table. This year, 34 countries qualified for the league table.
Incomplete statistics from the labor ministry shows a total of more than 80,000 foreigners working in Vietnam as of 2013, of which more than half are in Ho Chi Minh City .
These people come from more than 60 countries, including 58 percent from Asia and 28.5 from Europe.

"  they earn more than they would have at home ", what were they doing before, washing dishes at MacDonalds ???
9300 seems to be a lot of Qualified, and well paid, full time teachers?

:mad:
I have to stop reading that 'news' website.
Stop wasting our bloody time and use this headline instead! ---

########### NEWS

Official reports released today show that the beer houses which are so popular now in HCMC are the reason that the divorce rate in Vietnam is so high and this is causing 46% of couples to be unfaithful with each other,while foreigners who work for large International companies and Consulates inside Vietnam say the country is really,really good,mostly because there are many beer houses,lots of fried turtles and heaps of newly divorced/unfaithful people to meet.

Very good, much better, but you forgot to mention " Chunder troughs ", now there's Tourism potential?
And they are " Deep Fried turtles ", well, they probably would have to be, imagine a Turtle in a frying pan?

Those HSBC 'surveys' are garbage.

I have our search/moderator staff fill them in with garbage when they have nothing else to do on night shift.

HSBC - the world's worst bank - but loved by drug cartels.

Jaitch wrote:

Those HSBC 'surveys' are garbage.

I have our search/moderator staff fill them in with garbage when they have nothing else to do on night shift.

HSBC - the world's worst bank - but loved by drug cartels.

But they are good for a laugh, ( well , for some of us , )
I was asking if anyone on this site had been approached, or participated in this " survey ", Where did they take this " survey "?

bluenz wrote:

I was asking if anyone on this site had been approached, or participated in this " survey ", Where did they take this " survey "?

They are on-line surveys with invites through e-mail or bank messaging.

Jaitch wrote:
bluenz wrote:

They are on-line surveys with invites through e-mail or bank messaging.

OK, that answers one .question.

Hi. I wonder why HsBc made this survey.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi. I wonder why HsBc made this survey.

Too get more Ex Pats to come and live in VN?
More Ex Pats, more potential customers perhaps?, ( they hope, they also probably hope no one takes any notice of Jaitch comments about them? )

I feel funny to read jimbream's comment. Adultery is not the fault of bars.
@ bluenz: I am imaging if all of people believed it  was true and came to vietnam, how would I be among 4 billion people?

bluenz wrote:

... they also probably hope no one takes any notice of Jaitch comments about them? )

Google and see how many people are unhappy with HSBC.

You can't even move money simply from one account in one country to another account in another country. They make you use SWIFT at great cost.

All their accounts, worldwide, are held in the same computer centre in the USA.

Jaitch wrote:
bluenz wrote:

... they also probably hope no one takes any notice of Jaitch comments about them? )

Google and see how many people are unhappy with HSBC.

You can't even move money simply from one account in one country to another account in another country. They make you use SWIFT at great cost.

All their accounts, worldwide, are held in the same computer centre in the USA.

They make you use SWIFT at great cost.????
How can they charge more than any other Bank?, Swift is most likely more secure than any other way?My Bank has a set cost, this must include Swift, $20 , $10k max, no % fee . As for moving money around, most Banks are the same, ( Aus/NZ/VN, at least ).
You could make a poll/survey on any Bank, ( probably run by another Bank ), and I'll guarantee there will be complaints, ( just as well there are hundreds to chose from, but one is usually as bad as the other, maybe in different area's ). No point in complaining, that won't change anything, CHANGE your Bank.
Or is it really just your paranoia about the US Govt knowing your business?, I just don't get it, if you're got nothing to hide, who cares about Govts spying on their citizens, ( if you are that worried, why have a US Passport? ).

HSBC banks are everywhere and have premiere banking service too now. Their Danang branch workers are quite friendly. But the popularity of Vietnam is quite true as many Malaysians now are working and living in Vietnam especially HCM city.

sensesofvietnam wrote:

HSBC banks are everywhere and have premiere banking service too now. Their Danang branch workers are quite friendly. But the popularity of Vietnam is quite true as many Malaysians now are working and living in Vietnam especially HCM city.

To qualify for HSBC Premier based on an account here in Vietnam you need to maintain a relationship balance of one billion VND.  I have no idea if you have that much money why you'd want to keep it tied up in high cost low return HSBC accounts. If you do, either you didn't learn much about finance in getting that money or you have so much money that one billion VND is chump change.

I've been a customer of theirs since 1971 when they were Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.  HSBC in each country has some leeway in how they conduct their business.  My Singaporean friend gets a really good deal from HSBC.  I have a US HSBC account and get nothing but fees to avoid. In general HSBC gets a lot of complaints and I keep my HSBC account just for backup in emergencies.

I guess they help this blog stay up and running since I see their ads here all the time.

''I guess they help this blog stay up and running since I see their ads here all the time."

Yes, that's amazing , obviously they never go on this site and read all the bad press about HSBC??

HSBC Expat Explorer Survey was conducted by YouGov, a market research firm. Of course these surveys are business oriented and when summing up the result it will become favorable to the company who sponsor because of the question patterns they research and formed with the help of wise 'brains'  :) 
Yeah, Julien introduced this to expat-blog members and many members participated including me  :)
Remember, "nothing is free" in this world!

bluenz wrote:

According to the survey, Switzerland is ranked as the number one country by expats looking for a well-balanced, high-quality lifestyle, followed by Singapore, China, Germany, and Bahrain.

Then the three top-ranked countries in Asia are:

1. Singapore
2. China
3. Bahrain

and Vietnam should be ranked at least fourth:unsure

What is wrong with them? Maybe they should learn more either mathematics or geography!  :D