Is 1000-1250USD good salary in Lagos, Nigeria

Hi all,
I would like to know that how safe Nigeria is to live and work.
I really dont have any experience in international travelling.

I got an offer from a company of 1000-1250 USD.
Is this salary enough to work and live in Lagos, Nigeria.

Please advise

regards
Rangaraj

Hello Rangaraj and welcome to Expat.com

So as to get to compare your salary and find out the cost of living in Lagos, I invite you to browse through similar threads in our Cost of Living in Lagos section.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

$1000...NO but $1250...Manageable for an expat though everything depends on you and terms and conditions of the job. Who is providing the accommodation and transportation, are you married or single etc.

Hi, Rangaraj
I haven't lived in Lagos but from my friends and dad's experience, housing in Lagos can be really expensive. well if you will  be there alone, then my best guess is that about 300 to 600 USD would be going into your monthly accommodation fee, but there again it depends on where you would be staying. In addition, I know most companies would not let a foreigner live in any location and so, housing would be expensive except if the company would be proving you with the accommodation. There isn't much safety glitch in Lagos just some basic you might have know, seeing that you don't have any experience concerning intentional traveling. This information also applies to everyone travelling to a place for the first time, and that is trying to blend in and not stand out. Well, that would not entirely be possible seeing that you are Indian but it will help if you don't ask too many questions to strangers. Reserve your questions for your office colleagues. To add to this, accept house party invitations as this is the fastest way of meeting new people and making friends.   
Secondly in order to cut down on expenses, owning a car would be a cheaper option, would be cheaper if the organization has an official bus that picks their staff in the morning hours. Also if there is some kind of food stuff you know you absolutely can't live without (Joking) make sure to travel with them because foreign food products can be very expensive, unlike in east African countries where some also eat Indian related food. But first confirm from the Nigerian authorities there in Indian what food products can be allowed into the country and which can't be.
Thirdly we Nigerians always like to think of ourselves as the most welcoming and cheerful people. To a certain degree that's true but occasionally we don't all know how to express what we really mean. We might say thing we truly don't mean as well as sometimes be aggressive. Just don't take any action personally and last of all we are loud people. Not just loud in speech but in our behavior, dressing, how we host our events…. And the list can keep going, but when you truly integrate into to the society you wouldn't want to leave :P.

Dear Rangaraj,

How r you,Me N.L.Hemanthkumar,I am working in U.K based Nigeria company.Really very safe Place to stay in
Nigeria Lagos.I  am from chennai.
I have relatives in Erode,Tirupur.
I was here from 2011 to 2012/ again i came back to lagos Nigeria.
You asked about 1250 USD is sufficient living and working in Nigeria.

Best Regards,
N.L.HEMANTHKUMAR
Projects Manager
Mob:-00234-070 1778 7368

Hi,

How are you ?
I would like to know some information about Nigeria as i am planning to come there on a work permit. I got an offer from a school for a n administrators post with a salary of 150000 Niger per month after accommodation and car. I would like to know is that a good deal? secondly is it safe to stay in Nigeria? finally for food and decent living is this 150000 Niger sufficient. Awaiting your reply at the earliest.

Regards
Sreekanth

Sreekanth.m wrote:

Hi,

How are you ?
I would like to know some information about Nigeria as i am planning to come there on a work permit. I got an offer from a school for a n administrators post with a salary of 150000 Niger per month after accommodation and car. I would like to know is that a good deal? secondly is it safe to stay in Nigeria? finally for food and decent living is this 150000 Niger sufficient. Awaiting your reply at the earliest.

Regards
Sreekanth

For cost of living www.numbeo.com

For information about safety contact you Embassy.