Just curious

I really like the Korean culture and people but one thing does not makes a sende in my mind. Why a Korean manager want to employer drink alcohol, he or she had to join?

Thanks

hehe.

Dear i totally agree with you.

I think alcohol has a major role in developing relationships in Korea. Alcohol breaks barriers, loosens you up, helps you be more honest,... etc. And in general, many love to drink so thats another issue.

Well you will start to show your true colours after a few good drinks and thats how me and my friends get to know each other well back in the days..  :D  We get drunk and show our true colours thats why its good for bosses, managers, and their team mates hit a bar or a restaurant after work get drunk and get to know each other inside out...  ;)

:P

haha sure Alcohol make it out your true colours xD but I think when it was too often then it is unhealthy. and when it is forced, not fun anymore

Indeed you are right, but what is important there isn't what is fun for you, it's what is fun for your manager :/ A good way around it is to claim that you are on medication that doesn't allow you to drink alcohol,

사실 종교적인 이유로 술을 먹지 않는다고해서 강요하는 상사는 없으리라 생각합니다.
터키 분이시군요.
저도 술 싫어합니다만 한국인 특히 남자들은 술을 먹어야 친해진다고 생각을 합니다.
생각해보면 친구들과 만나면 밥먹고 까페가는것말고는 할만한게 많지 않습니다.
어찌보면 술이 가장 싸게 친해질수 있는 방법인거죠.
드시고 싶지 않으시다면 안드시면 될것같네요.

Actually, they don't force or stress you if you say i dont drink for my religion.
i hate alcohol too. but many korean(especially Guys) think that people can be closer with alcohol.
and when you meet your friends there's nothing to do in this contry. only having dinner or cup of tea or coffee.
Alcohol is the cheapest way to be closer.
but you don't wanna drink? then you don't drink. haha
that's it! no one complain about that.
Anyway this is only my opinion.
enjoy your life in korea. (except Soju...)haha

I guess Alcohol is the not only option to get close with people. hehehe. Are you making a joke here dear?

There are more cheap ways to get close with people. You don't have to spend one cent to get close with people if you know how :P

i said it is only my opinion.
i don't play sports like soccer or basket ball.
and we don't watch movie with only guys.
then what do you do to get close with your friends?
we sometimes go to travel and drink at that night.
we sometimes play biliards and drink at that night.
hahahaha
dinner-> coffee-> drink
this is rutine when korean guy meet their friends.
alcohol is the cheapest and fastest way.

like you don't understand me, i don't understand you.
im gonna say this is cultural gap.maybe.
just tell me your theory why korean like alcohol? or what do you do for getting closer with your friends in your contry?

I don't understand you at all. Why you are keep saying it is the fastest and cheapest way. I could more easily understand, if you are saying that's only for you. hehehe. Anyway its not what we have to see if you are playing basket ball or soccer, here the point is , Its not nice to force the employee to drink Alcohol. Even you are dare to get close with your employees. Friends, get together and partying is a different story.

dare? hahahah why you use that word? hahahaha
korean employer is not that old one i mean they are changed.
unless you are working on Army or factory. boss and i can be closer and closer. and that is helping thier work.
who force it? your boss? that guy is so mean to you. so bad. why don't you say "no" to him?
most of korean don't force you to drink. i haven't seen or met. but surely some of korean who force someone to drink.
just say "no"
like i said i hate to drink. when i was in Army and the last day of in army. my boss and i went to restaurant, he wanted me to drink but i didn't want to drink at all. so i refuse. and he allowed me not to drink.

anyway. when your boss want you to drink with him. he wants to be closer with you. or wants to hear your real voice in your mind.

Dear ... first thing.. i dont have a boss. I own many businesses here in Korea.
Btw i have so many korean friends who is saying that. So dont tell me how it normally works here... i know very well. Btw if someone ask me to drink, i already had my answer for them. The word "dare" i used since i wanted to use it. Hehehe thanks for you feedback :)

hahaha really? you know very well? even you don't work for any korean? or you don't have any korean employee? just.. only heard?
i thought you are KOREAN. what a korean expert you are.
Oh.. sorry about that my last sentence is to Lethe. not you dear..
i will split phrase to make it clear next time.
Sorry!

How you know that i dont have Korean employees hehehe ??? Btw i dont have to be a korean to know Korea. So note that also :) If you asked me my work history in Korea before i started my own business, i could tell you. But you seems way too ahead of your talks. heheh so now i dont have to tell you that. :) Thanks btw

Hm.. Im so sorry Mohamed, i think i was emotial.
anyway this is one of the way getting closer.
when i go to Seoul, i will visit you .
thanks for your kindness

Its very nice to meet you too dear. And i am sorry from my side too.
Lets catch up when you visit Seoul.
Keep in touch .
Have a great day dear:)

(Moderated: off topic)

is anyone there who lives in Dar es salaam Tanzania n is looking for acompany n afriend indeed like the way i do?

This is a fun thread! i had the same sentiment! :)