Moving to Belize with HORSES

Hello there my lucky friends, is there anybody who can help me to figure out how to move large animals over there? I read all the posts and driving is out. Maybe boat? I'm I the first one who is attempting this? Please help, they are my family and all I have left. Thank you Paula from California.

Hi kadoun1,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have moved your topic on the Belize forum for better visibility.

Dear Paula, don't give up on the driving them down yet. My girl here in Brownsville Texas has helped move animals down to Belize before. She owns a transmigrantes business and knows the people to ask.  We helped a guy last year move a large load of sheep and llamas. I will do some more checking for u tomorrow. May I ask about how many horses u plan on moving?   Doug, Oregon

Thank you for writing, I had 4 horses but one had a bad colic this sumer and died. So now I only have 3 horses. Thank you again for checking. Paula

Here's the most up-to-date info on exporting horses from the US to Belize: 

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/v … eq_pro.pdf

Also, I assume you've spoken with Baha here in Belize?

http://baha.bz/animal_health.html

They will be able to tell you what's required on their end, but you will need to find a place to quarantine your horses for 30 days, and they will come and inspect them weekly, which there are fees for, in addition to the entry inspection fees.

My name is Kathy. I'm trying to get my horse to Belize from California. I'm moving December 2014. Did you get it figured out? [email protected]

Did you ever figure out how to get your horses to Belize? I'm trying to get my boy there.

Sorry - I just saw you post and you might be long gone by now, but we also are moving horses down to Belize as well.  We have found a shipping company based out of Mobile, AL that has custom containers that have been converted to 2 stalls with dividers, wooden floors, large windows cut out etc and when we checked, it was around $6K for the container - whether you 1, 2, or 3 horses - you pay the same amount for the container.  You are responsible for providing all the hay, oats, feed, etc that your horses require.  The trip is about 2-weeks long and they dedicate a crew member that will be assigned to feed, water, check on your horses several times a day.  They load this container last and it rides on the deck - not down in the hold so the horses get fresh air and can view all the activity on the boat. 
The boat ports in Big (Mango) Creek terminal down in Stann Creek.  You will have to pick up your horses and transport to your property.  Keep in mind that they have to be cleared with customs and vet persons and you have to isolate/quarantine them from other horses and livestock for 30 days.  Luckily you can do this on your own property, but they have to have their own pasture and this may have to be inspected by local AG authorities.  There are a lot of customs forms and vet forms that need to be filled out prior to loading onto the boat. 
I have driven down to the Mobile port and met the shipping company - they let me check out the custom container, and showed me how they load the horses and take care of them.  We inquired to see if one of us could travel with the boat, but they said it wasn't allowed by insurance and you have to be Maritime qualified/licensed to travel with any cargo boat.
You can also fly the horses down and there is a place in FL (I think Ft. Lauderdale or Miami) and I am sure there are spots in TX and CA that you can also fly them out of.  Of course with flying the horses there - it is quicker, way more expensive, and you have to be there to meet the plane - can be a logistical effort.
Good luck and where are you taking your horses down there?  We are on the Coastal Rd - near Gales Pt.

Hello! I know this is an old post... but hoping I can still get some information! We are in the process of moving to Belize and taking our horses with us. We have had a great plan in place for a couple of years to get the horses to Belize. Then last minute, the shipping company has up and decided they are no longer going to do any live animals. Covid has the shipping and airlines a complete mess. In this thread there was mention of a company in Alabama that was great for moving horses to Belize... love to know what that company was and get their contact information!!

Or, if anyone knows any shipping companies, airlines or someone with a big plane... let me know!! Our whole move revolves around getting this set up so we can leave to get to our new home in Belize! Thanks!

hi  my name is helen alison.......   if i had horses  i would get my own horse trailer  and make the drive  myself......there are many size horse trailers  2 horses   4 horses  and the big goose neck   that can hold 5 or six horses..........  the moving companies that move the thoroughbred race horses are the best in this country  but i do not think they  will move anything but the race horses......so the best advice i can give you  is  get your  own horse  trailer  move the horses  your self    if i still had my horses that is what i would do   i do not would not trust  anything of mine to someone else

Hi I am looking to get more information on how to import my horse from Texas to Belize. Any recommendations for land shippers? Can someone help with the import process? Any recommendations would be great

Thank You :)

please feel free to email me at [link moderated]

I would talk to the people at Banana Bank (Cayo) to see if they have a lead.

@themayangarden reach out to BAHA on what they will require. For less stress on the horses, you will likely want to drive them (or have them driven) through Mexico. The other option is container ship, which would be rough.

https://baha.org.bz/departments/animal- … uirements/