Trespassers

I was in the states taking care of some repairs that were needed on our house there when I got a disturbing call from my wife. She said she was not going to clean the apartment attached to our PR house because there was a snake skin stretched across the kitchen over 7 feet long! Well I came home at the scheduled time And went in the apartment to check things out. After some searching we found the snake under a dresser, all curled up and resting after his/her shedding. Employing a large push broom and a grey plastic 55 gallon trash can we scooped up the snake and released him back into the rain forest. We see many snakes on the property but this is only the second PR Boa I have come in contact with. I believe it climbed up through the sewer pipes, a situation I am correcting today. I would encourage anyone coming across these snakes to remove them harmlessly. They do a great service in keeping down rats and mice. I'll try to post some pics.

You did the right thing. The Puerto Rican boa is harmless and, as you say, ecologically and economically beneficial. Although pre-historically they would have eaten other terrestrial mammals such as the now-extinct Puerto Rican hutia; contemporary studies of their diet have shown that the mostly eat rats as adults. (As juveniles they eat mostly lizards.) They are non-venomous and completely harmless to humans. They are also a federally listed endangered species, meaning that it is technically illegal to harm or harass them.

In Naguabo this would not be the case, but in the western part of the island, particularly around Mayaguez, there is an introduced boa - Boa constrictor. This species can get to be over 10 feet long, is much fatter than a Puerto Rican boa, and is differently colored. This species is of ecological concern because it probably eats and competes with native wildlife, including the Puerto Rican boa.

If you encounter either a Puerto Rican boa or a Boa constrictor on your property, and are uncomfortable with its presence there, you should call the DRNA ranger. They will (should) come to your property to safely remove it. Puerto Rican boas will be re-released into the wild (probably into a nearby state forest); Boa constrictors are moved to the animal holding facility in Cambalache. Particularly if you live near natural areas, though, my best advice if you find a Puerto Rican boa is to leave it be (and be grateful for the opportunity to have seen this rare and magnificent animal - most Puerto Ricans have never seen one).

Terrific story and very heartwarming. I'm glad to see that your wife came through it all no worse for the wear; as did the Boa.

Guess I'm going to have to check back on this topic from-time-to-time anxiously waiting for your photos. Job well done my friend!  :one

At least it wasn't down here in Brazil and not a Sucuri (Anaconda) they can get up to 18 meters. Here's one that was killed on a farm and it had just swallowed a Capibara (world's largest rodent) whole.

http://youtu.be/gHik-b2GGvk

I sure wouldn't want to take on one of them!!! No way!!!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Wow, they would scare me, too, with it in the house!  So glad you didn't harm it ;)

Anolis... We are in agreement, I cherish the presence of these snakes on the property. I posted some pics of this beautiful snake. We have a lot of the black racers and although we are always kind to them I am careful as they are semi venomous. Thanks for the added information on the PR Boa!

I posted pics but they have not been put up on the sight yet.

The Puerto Rican racers (corredores in Spanish) are what we call 'rear-fang venomous'. Many species in this particular snake family share this attribute including (believe it or not) common garter snakes in the eastern U.S.! If you are bitten by a racer be reassured by the fact that probably 90% of people (or more) will have essential no reaction to the 'venom' of this species. (In the remaining fraction the reaction is somewhat akin to an allergic reaction.) If you were a tiny Puerto Rican lizard, on the other hand.... well, in that case there would be cause for concern!

One neat attribute of this species is if that it is cornered or threatened they will exhibit a threat display that is vaguely reminiscent of a cobra hood!

I've got a great pic of some of them hooding up! we have many around the property and we encourage them.

Oh, how great to have this information!  Thank you!

Never saw a PR boa but we do have black racers here. They don't bother us and we don't bother them so we peacefully co-exist. :)

We feel the same way, I love having the snaked around and keep track of them to make sure they are OK. Tarantulas are another story. I just don't like them. We also have a lot of the huntsman spiders. The insect spray I use takes care of all the insects and roaches so I have little to complain about. Iguanas have hit our garden and I found a four footer in the pool a few years back. Some chicken wire protected the garden but we still have to scope the pool for crabs, iguanas snakes and large spiders....welcome to PR!

We have had some tarantulas here at our house and quickly kill them. I don't like any spiders no matter what size but we had had about 3 big black ones and they scare me to death. I hven't seen any snakes yet and don't hope to. Like they say Welcome to Puerto Rico.

YES, THIS is why I live on the ocean in CONDADO.....ants are all I can stand and I go after them with an UZI.....  UGH!!!!!! :o:o

I hear you on the spiders. We see six to eight a week here, in fact there is one outside the front door now by the roof but I can't find the spider spray to nab him. Keep the faith and the insecticide handy!

As lomg as the big spiders stay out of the house they're fine. Inside is a different story.  :dumbom:

Never saw any of the big spiders while I was there. But the centipedes really creeped me out. All the Satos in the neighborhood would sleep at my house at night and they would keep the rats away.