Advice Needed: English Teaching Jobs for Filipinos in Thailand

Hello there,

I am a Filipino and I am currently in the Philippines. I am planning to work as an English teacher in overseas and I am currently looking for options.Thus, I'd like to request for your advice regarding working as an English teacher in Thailand

I have a degree in Psychology and I am considering taking TESOL in there. Can you please recommend good schools? Is a Bachelors in Psychology acceptable or do I need to have a degree in Teaching English?

Also, is finding a teaching for a Filipino job easy? How are foreign teachers, especially Filipinos treated?

Is Thailand a safe place to live/work in? What precautions do I need to take when I live there?

What are the advantages and disadvantages in working there?

I am looking forward and would greatly appreciate your response. Thank you for taking time to read my message.

Sincerely,

Dixie

Hello There,

How was your decision about moving to Thailand? I moved here more than a year ago. Teaching English requires no TESOL. You can take your TOEIC here as one of the requirements for work permit.  You can check out my blog herecomeslapinay.wordpress.com/ I blog about how I live and work here thank you.

Hi Dixie,

Thailand is a safe place to work. I have many filipino counterparts at work and they are treated with due respect as teaching is considered very respectful profession in Thailand.

Salaries can be relatively less as compared to native speakers but teaching is fun and standard of living is low. So you can save a good money working here.

As told by lizet you just need to do TOEIC which costs 1500 baht for exam and school will do your work permit and Visa.

Good luck, welcome to Thailand!!

Hi,

I would like to ask for assistance in possibly getting a career in Thailand, too?

Can you recommend sites I could try? If so, what are the requirements do I need to complete to qualify, aside from the ones you have already provided?

Are there expectations for Filipinos like me that I should be aware of?

Thank you for the blogs, too. It is quite informative.

Rhonne Ayen

my suggestion, get the required certificate in Philippine and then try for jobs in Thailand. Many school need Teachers here

Hi,

Thank you so much for the boost Ihoii. However, I don't have any teaching internship nor experience yet, since I started working as a customer service and technical support representative until now. I haven't taken the licensure examination for teachers here in the Philippines, but I have completed a bachelor's degree in English and units in teaching at universities near. Will that be sufficient enough?

Thanks for the information. Have a good day.

rhonneayen008 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you so much for the boost Ihoii. However, I don't have any teaching internship nor experience yet, since I started working as a customer service and technical support representative until now. I haven't taken the licensure examination for teachers here in the Philippines, but I have completed a bachelor's degree in English and units in teaching at universities near. Will that be sufficient enough?

Thanks for the information. Have a good day.

The BA in English will get you a teaching job in Thailand. However in your own words you have no teaching experence so potential employers might be put off. You are also not classed as a native English speaker so read the posts above about TOEIC.

Why not do a TEFL course, you could do one in Thailand, the course will give you valuable teaching experience with live Thai students too.

Some employers here require TEFL as well as your degree.

Good luck.

Hi thetefldon,

Thank you very much, you have been such a help. I will definitely take these steps in getting a better odd.

Have a good one, sir!

Rhonne

rhonneayen008 wrote:

Hi thetefldon,

Thank you very much, you have been such a help. I will definitely take these steps in getting a better odd.

Have a good one, sir!

Rhonne

Rhonne
You are welcome.
Regards
Mike

lizettevillalobos wrote:

Hello There,
How was your decision about moving to Thailand? I moved here more than a year ago. Teaching English requires no TESOL. You can take your TOEIC here as one of the requirements for work permit.  You can check out my blog herecomeslapinay.wordpress.com/ I blog about how I live and work here thank you.

Hi Lizette,
I enjoyed reading your blog. Great! In January 2015 I will run the hafl marathon in Chiang mai. I am BSE graduate and working as kindergarten teacher in Europe. I wish to meet kapwa pinoy during my 10 days trip in Thailand. Read also my column thefilipinoexpat.com/
thefilipinoexpat.com/running-for-a-cause.

Best regards,
R.

Hi there!
I am Jayrome, Filipino, and currently here in the Philippines. I am planning to work as English Teacher in Thailand but I don't know where to start. I am graduate of BSE - English and has PRC license in teaching. I do have variety of teaching experiences, classroom-based, on-line, and even tutorial to Filipino and Korean students.
Would you help me on how to start my journey teaching abroad?

Thank you very much.

Hoping for your responses.

I'm an English major and I took TOEIC test last year. I have teaching experiences (online and inside the classroom). Is it possible for me to get a teaching job in Thailand?