Motorcycles in Saudi Arabia (Riyadh)??

Im considering buying motorcycle. Then again, when I think again I didnt see not even one in 4 months since Im here and I pretty know the reason - ITS TOO DANGEROUS TO DRIVE IT in this crazy traffic.

Whats your opinion? Is it smart to buy motorcycle in this kind of traffic and did you see any motorcycles arround?

Oh our Bangoli house boy Got really cool scooter.You can have something lyk that :whistle:

If you are stupid to ride a motorcyle on a highway/freeway in the USA, you are outright dumb to ride one here.  They don't make body helemts.

Civeng, I take it that it is your opinion that you are expressing, not a statement of fact. Have you ever ridden a motorbike?

There are numerous bikers here on Salwa who go for early morning rides on Thursday or Friday mornings. I have seen groups of Saudi bikers several times.
They do have crash helmets here in several of the bike shops and it's true that they do not make helmets the good ones are imported from Italy or Austria. I would bring my own from the UK.

The two main things to consider are the crazy driving and the conditions of the roads. So it depends on when and where you plan to ride.

I have riden a motorcyle before, used to ride off-road in the desert as a youth. My brother used to race off-road (Baja 500 stuff)and I have seen many races all involving motorcylces, trucks, ATV's etc..

Riding a motorcyle can be and is fun.  However, I have seen in a span of less than 2 months in San Diego 3 deaths (2 with the bodies still lying in the roadway).  All were wearing helmets.  All were on freeways where traffic is tough but nothing as dangerous as here.

In addition, my brother-in-law is a doctor and he has seen many motorcycle victims.  They are nice for Sunday (in the states or say the UK) "rides" which there are many clubs for, but to commute on one is dangerous business.

Just my opinion.

How many of you have NOT seen a driver veer his vehicle on to the sidewalk and drive on ahead in order to avoid the bumper to bumper peak traffic lines?

Well I would like to use motor for everything - going to job, going to other cities/countries, going for groceries....

But, my main concern is safety of it. When I see how people drive, Im scared that they will hit me because they dont check mirrors or even give a signal lights...

And yes, I havent seen any of bikes.

My pick is long wanted Harley :D

If I knew how to drive a motorcycle :shy and if I could afford a good one, I would have definitely got it long time ago. It's still on my wishlist actually. I will be extra careful driving it for sure.

I think you should go for it. :D

MadMaz wrote:

If I knew how to drive a motorcycle :shy and if I could afford a good one, I would have definitely got it long time ago. It's still on my wishlist actually. I will be extra careful driving it for sure.

I think you should go for it. :D

MOTOR - NO MOTOR 1:0 - goal scored by MadMaz  :D

It's your life.

CivEngr wrote:

It's your life.

MOTOR - NO MOTOR 1-1 - equalizer by CivEngr

Go down Tahalea Street Wednesday and Thursday nights - plenty of motorbikes with Saudi boys doing crazy things.  Johnny Rockets is their usual hangout around 10pm.

My husband has a bike, a MotoGuzzi, he bought here in Riyadh. Hubby doesn't do daily commutes or visit the grocery on his bike.  It's a cruiser, we prefer longer rides.

We usually go riding early weekend mornings, on the road by 5am or thereabouts - less traffic.  Now that its winter the weather is great we stay out longer. 

The Harley Chapter in Riyadh organises a few group rides interstate.  The next one is to Jordan end of November. We spend a lot of time at the Harley shop.  Hubby has his eye on a Fat Boy.

If you are a learner rider, Riyadh may not be the best place to buy your first bike, especially not a big one.  Regardless of your experience, you definitely have to keep your wits about you riding here. 

I was happy for hubby to buy his bike because I know how he rides, I know his experience.  We are aware of the challenges riding presents and not just in this country, but we both love riding. 

Should you buy a bike here? 
If after your due diligence the pro's significantly outweigh the cons...

I love bikes and wouldn't have a problem riding here.. As long as you're experienced and know how to ride defensively, then it could be fun.

There are some crazy riders out there thou, full wheelies the length of tallia is not unknown.

Call me a stick in the mud, but step back and think.  Yes, I totally agree riding a hog, dirt bike or crotch rocket, on a weekend stuff kinda thing is mellow and a relaxing thing. but it is serious business if you ride during normal hours.  Doing the grind to and from wherever, different story.

Riding is made for wide open spaces (easy rider) not wall to wall metal. Knew someone in High School who had their face ground off (no helmet).  Can and is fun, but suggest leisure activity only.  Not primary mode of getting around.

I'm done on this topic.  No more preaching.  Do as you wish.  Be safe, but you are not the only one out there.

CivEngr

nzpounamu wrote:

Go down Tahalea Street Wednesday and Thursday nights - plenty of motorbikes with Saudi boys doing crazy things.  Johnny Rockets is their usual hangout around 10pm.

My husband has a bike, a MotoGuzzi, he bought here in Riyadh. Hubby doesn't do daily commutes or visit the grocery on his bike.  It's a cruiser, we prefer longer rides.

We usually go riding early weekend mornings, on the road by 5am or thereabouts - less traffic.  Now that its winter the weather is great we stay out longer. 

The Harley Chapter in Riyadh organises a few group rides interstate.  The next one is to Jordan end of November. We spend a lot of time at the Harley shop.  Hubby has his eye on a Fat Boy.

If you are a learner rider, Riyadh may not be the best place to buy your first bike, especially not a big one.  Regardless of your experience, you definitely have to keep your wits about you riding here. 

I was happy for hubby to buy his bike because I know how he rides, I know his experience.  We are aware of the challenges riding presents and not just in this country, but we both love riding. 

Should you buy a bike here? 
If after your due diligence the pro's significantly outweigh the cons...

MOTOR - NO MOTOR 3-1 two goals in short period of time by nzpounamu and kzm40

Well, Im not experienced driver and Im aware of danger, BUT I am also single man in Saudi Arabia outside of compound. I also like long rides and trips to various countries.

I just see myself on cruising to different cities and countries on my free time and enjoying every minute of it.

But my main question could I use my Harley as a only vehicle? to go to work, to buy groeceries and such...

Mudrinjo wrote:

But my main question could I use my Harley as a only vehicle? to go to work, to buy groeceries and such...

Even though I support the idea of getting a bike if you really want it, I still agree with CivEngr on this one. Using a motorcycle as your main transport doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Even if you take crash risks out of the equation, the idea is really impractical. It may sound OK now but man what will you do when the heat is back again? I don't think you'll enjoy going to work and getting trapped in the middle of a congested road with the sun blazing over your head and a helmet on... :rolleyes:

Wanna get a bike? Do it! But ride it for your pleasure only. Thats what I think. :top:

I am sure as hell getting a bike. Been riding all my life, still do. Crazy traffic or not! Fear is a bad habiit CivEng

Don't like the tone of your post.  It is not fear, just rationale based upon my personal experience and opinion.  The dude can do want he wants.  He asked, I responded.

But leonleon304 is in Jeddah and not in Riyadh where the driving is a cross between Whacky races and the Mad Max film.

Besides fear keeps us alive and feeling alive.

I've been contemplating this in my head for pretty much a year now. My neighbor is in the Harley club and says its good since they go out in the early mornings, when there is minimal traffic. And that's the idea that originally led me to picking one up here.

But it's a tough call. Traffic in Riyadh is hectic, highways are just too damn scary.

I've ridden, stunted, and raced for a few years back in Canada. But whenever we did stupid shit, or raced, it was all as managed as possible. Here, you have too many unknown factors.

If it was me, I'd just make sure I'm ahead of everybody else, and I could see myself taking the long road in order to stay out of traffic, or to get away from idiots.

The other thing that I also thought about was picking one up and joining the Reem racetrack, but the drive out there is exhausting. And the fact that it costs like 15,000SAR/yr for only one day per week is another pain.

Uhmmmmm...time to put on some tight leathers, buy a Harley and join you guys.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Sparrow in tight leathers. Reminiscent of Catwoman, do you carry a whip as well?
I didn't know that you could ride.

@ Dave, I cant ride...surely I can request training wheels for my Harley...oh and I'll need a pair of your Ten pin bowling socks so as to confuse the Motawa. :gloria

Sparrow wrote:

Uhmmmmm...time to put on some tight leathers, buy a Harley and join you guys.

Go for it.... :)... Forget how much I love bikes..

nonz wrote:

Oh our Bangoli house boy Got really cool scooter.You can have something lyk that :whistle:

Is "BANGOLI" got anything to do with banging someone named Olly?

Id rather prefer to see Sparrow riding a Camarley in Daves bowling socks

What is a Camarley? MM

Sparrow wrote:

What is a Camarley? MM

A Harley with two Humps

Too cute! :D:D

you could, if you choose to, also call it a Humped up Harley...

Sparrow, apart from the bowling socks. Anything else that you would like to borrow?
Keep it clean, Jill reads these. LOL

@Dave - your bowling socks are black, mine are pink and purple - ankles will clearly be seen by Motawa. Nothing else to borrow - thanks...trying to keep it clean :D

just a month ago i saw an innova resting its side. possibly because of it is running at a very high speed then sudden full break..

if innova was flipping like that on the street..what more for a motorcycle...

if u ever decided to buy the motorcycle here just get ready for some actions such as flying and spinning vehicles. Also, dont forget the reckless bus drivers whose routes is from olaya to al batha or vice versa.

Good Luck!!! :):):)

Hello guys,
Is it possible to drive motorcycle without Drivers licence and motor cycle papers in riyadh?
Because i am planning to buy a low cost motorbike, not to be used for long drive(highway) maybe 50km is the farthest. (i am filipino)

Hi guys
I want to learn how to ride motorcycles more than 125 cm3.
who can help me in that. I have an a driving license test to do in Tunisia.

Hi all,

my plan would be to ride or freight my UAE moto (300cc honda cbr) and use it as a daily commute

work-crossfit/mma like 15km per day. You have any info on brining a moto here from uae and keeping it as UAE and not transferring to Saudi?

Any recommendations are welcome