Sorry! Short term car import to Malta

I'm sure something similar to this has been posted before but I can't find anything exactly like this.

I am looking at coming out to Malta next March (15) for the summer, and I want to drive over from the UK so I can bring all my scuba diving stuff.

I am hoping to get employment at a dive school - it depends on me passing my courses while I am out there - so I will be working.

I don't plan on staying for years, it'll likely be no more than 6 months.

Does anybody know what the rules are on importing your vehicle short term like that?

Cheers,

George

loiney wrote:

I'm sure something similar to this has been posted before but I can't find anything exactly like this.

I am looking at coming out to Malta next March (15) for the summer, and I want to drive over from the UK so I can bring all my scuba diving stuff.

I am hoping to get employment at a dive school - it depends on me passing my courses while I am out there - so I will be working.

I don't plan on staying for years, it'll likely be no more than 6 months.

Does anybody know what the rules are on importing your vehicle short term like that?

Cheers,

George

If you arrive as a tourist with your car you cannot work!
If you work you will have to pay the import tax and apply for residency.

Terry

Terry,

Thank you for your speedy response, do you know what the costings are for registering a vehicle?

George

hundreds to thousands of euros, depending on the car

have you owned the car for more than 24 months ? if so you might be exempt

georgeingozo wrote:

hundreds to thousands of euros, depending on the car

have you owned the car for more than 24 months ? if so you might be exempt

I own a VW T5 van converted into a camper. Unfortunately I will have only owned the vehicle for about 18 months by the time I go out there.

I am starting to think that it will be easier to fly and ship my stuff out separately. Having been a few time on holiday I've seen a lot of cheap old cars for sale on the side of the road and on roundabouts etc. Can you purchase a car on a UK driving licence?

George

I'll bet that those "cheap" old cars you saw did not have a price on them.
When you telephone the number they won't be as cheap as you think!
Yes you can buy a car as long as you have a EU licence.

Terry

they definitely wont be cheap - thats for  sure  - none of those at road side ever have prices in them as thats illegal. lol

Toon wrote:

they definitely wont be cheap - thats for  sure  - none of those at road side ever have prices in them as thats illegal. lol

Hi Toon
              From your new photo you look like a used car salesman from  Cyprus!!
:joking:

Terry

learned from the best my friend... you wanna car - it going very very cheap.... horn works very well.... indicators who needs them....

Might work out cheaper just to use the equipment at the dive school, seems a rather expensive way of "popping over" for a 6 month holiday !
Even the used car sales garages don't like showing you the price, let alone telling you on the phone... But then This Is Malta !! LOL

Hello,
I looked into the cost of bringing (driving it there) my car to Malta, it's 6500 euros in tax!
I'm not bothering. Will stick to buses.
H