Looking for advice re living in Saudi

Hi my name is aoife, I'm 29 and currently working as a legal secretary in Ireland but have been approached my saudi aramco for administrative position with  the company. I should have my interview in the coming month or so.

I'm just wondering would people be able to give me some tips or advice in relating to living in Saudi as a single woman? Would it be worth it? Plenty to do? Clothing advice etc

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Hi Aoife,

Saudi Aramco is very good company and the largest single organization in Saudi Arabia. This would a good opportunity to make good money if you do secure this position. ARAMCO is located in Dhahran and they have a residential compound which offers excellent facilities to its employees. I am not sure if housing is part of the package if you are a direct employee. If you a third party contractor it might not be part of the benefits. Unfortunately there is not much that you can do in Saudi except for hanging out with friends you make here in the compound or eating out. Saudi is super conservative when it comes to clothing and women have to cover their clothing with "abaya" that you can find more about on google. Women are not allowed to drive however you can hire private drivers or taxi for going around. Shopping and eating out are other two favorite past times. Compared to other cities of Saudi, Jeddah and Dhahran/Khobar are a bit liberal. You also have the option to live in Bahrain, where you can drive and go out freely. Daily commute between the two counties is about 60-90 mins depending upon the time of the year. Coming to Saudi Arabia is a cultural shock at the beginning however you get used to it in time.

Feel free to shoot any specific questions you have.

Thanks! I've been told that I would be allocated accommodation within a compound prior to my arrival and that I wouldn't have to wear the abaya within the community. I'm going to do my best with the interview because I'd love a change d direction and the company sounds great from what I've read. I really don't mind working hard and would try to fill up my social life with activities rather than drinking and they seem to have a good community spirit within the compound so that's appealing also

Life inside the compounds can be a lot of fun.  (I live in one in Jubail.)  I'm not sure how many single women will be in your compound, but in general I think you will find almost everyone else is in your same situation (far from home) which makes finding friends fairly easy.  In our compound there are quite a few classes offered by other expats--lots of international cooking classes, yoga, different types of crafting, etc.  The classes are a great way to meet others with similar interests. 

There are certainly downsides being a female in Saudi (abaya, can't drive) but at the same time if you come with an open mind it can an adventure.

Yeah, thats what I thought. I would be quite happy to fill up my spare time with activities and meet people. I'm quite excited about the prospects and while it will be a major cultural change, I am mentally prepared for it.

I just need to nail the interview now!

Thanks.  :)

good luck  :cheers:

Thanks! the interview is set for the end of August so I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed!  :)

Hi Alli,

I am from the US and am negotiating the job offer from SABIC. Maybe you can help answer a few questions for me?
           •    Housing compounds: 
                     • Do you know the price range of Al Murjan compound?
                     • Which is the best way to go, take housing allowance or take the free housing
                       provides by SABIC?
           •    Medical Insurance:
                     • Can we buy a global insurance coverage in the KSA?
                     • How much is the policy for a family of five? This is to coverage two boys in the
                       states while they are in college and while traveling to the KSA or on
                       vacation in other parts of the world.

Regards